Three local sax masters have come to the rescue of Houston jazz fans.
David Caceres, Woody Witt and Warren Sneed will join the University of Houston Moores Jazz Ensemble for two special performances April 21 and 22. Jazz journeyman Bill Evans was originally billed as the featured player for these shows. Due to flight cancellations caused by Iceland's volcanic ash, he will not be able to make the trip to Houston.
See below for details on this week's performances.
- 7:30 p.m., April 21 in UH's Moores; Opera House (Entrance 16 off of Cullen Boulevard), Tickets are $10 and $5 for students and seniors. For tickets, call 713-743-3313.
- "Earth Day Jazz in the Park" 6 p.m., April 22 at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Herman Park (100 Concert Dr.). This free community concert also will feature student ensembles City Jazz Kidz and the High School for Performing and Visual Arts Jazz Combo. This concert is part of the citywide celebration "Houston Celebrates Earth Day." For additional details, visit http://www.houstoncelebratesearthday.org/.
Both events are presented by the UH Moores School of Music in collaboration with DaCamera of Houston, the Tenneco Lecture Series, Waste Management Inc. and Whole Foods.
Caceres, Witt and Sneed frequently collaborate with the Moores Jazz Ensemble and are staples on the local music scene. To learn more about each musician, visit the following Web sites:
- David Caceres: http://www.davidcaceres.com/
- Woody Witt: http://www.woodywitt.com/
- Warren Sneed: http://warrensneed.com/