Games, Gardening Among Activities for Green UH Day Nov. 5
UH has a growing number of programs in place to reduce its carbon footprint. On Nov. 5, the campus community is invited to get even greener through a fun and informative fair hosted by the university.
From 11 a.m. - 4 p.m., Green UH Day will present a host of activities, games, events and exhibits designed to promote awareness on recycling, waste reduction and other environmentally-friendly practices.
"This day celebrates all the hard work that has been undertaken by many on campus to create a culture of sustainability at UH," said Emily Messa, assistant vice president of university services. "We have much to accomplish as a campus in order to reduce our carbon footprint. It is important that we take time to celebrate our successes of the past year. We want to let people know how far we have come by introducing programs like green commuter fairs, participation in RecycleMania, adding 300 recycling bins and going trayless in the dining halls."
Green UH Day activities include:
- 11 - 11:30 a.m., Electric Car Showcase
- 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Power Plant: Education on Energy Saving Programs
- 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., Recycling Games
- 1 - 2:30 p.m., Weather Balloon Launch
- 1 - 2:30 p.m., UH Department of Public Safety's Green Efforts and Crime Prevention
- 1 - 3 p.m., Sustainability Journey Series
- 1:30 - 3 p.m., Environmental Club Gardening Activities
- 2 - 2:30 p.m., Office Supply Swap-a-Thon
- 2 - 4 p.m., Water U Drinking? - Exhibition of filtered vs. tap water.
- 2 - 4 p.m., Green Commuting Fair
- 3 - 4 p.m., Green Computing Exhibition
Green UH Day events will be conducted in Lynn Eusan Park and the University Center. Both locations are accessible at Entrance 1 off of Calhoun Road.