Skip to main content


I’m interested in applying for a grant, but I’m not sure what opportunities are available. How can I find out?

Help is all around you. Ask colleagues in your department, and talk to other people in your field. Consult the Pivot funding opportunities database, which allows you to refine searches in numerous ways. You can also post a profile on Pivot that helps put you in touch with other professionals who share your expertise. Finally, contact me, Angela Clifton, x3-3702, and ask for a funding opportunities search — within a short period of time, I’ll put together a list of sponsors that fit your project.

Can I apply for more than one grant at a time?

Yes. Multiple submissions are encouraged. You can get more mileage out of your work on a single grant proposal if you, possibly with some revision to meet different sponsors’ guidelines, submit your application to various agencies.

What internal grant funding is available from UH?

Small Grants, New Faculty Research Grants, Grants to Enhance and Advance Research (GEAR), and Faculty Development Leaves.

I’m stuck putting together my proposal. Is there anyone I can call for assistance

That’s one of my primary reasons for existence. I’m happy to help with budgets, narratives, and anything else that you might have questions about. Give me a call at x 3-3702 or drop me an e-mail at

I’m submitting an application to a program I’ve never applied to before. Are any sample applications available?

Few private sponsors make available copies of successful applications. On the other hand, all federal agencies are required by law to provide sample grants. Many state and local agencies have similar policies on samples. In addition, call me — x 3-3702. I keep a proposal archive for the college and can, at the very least, put you in touch with others who have applied to the program in the past.

What forms are required by UH before my grant can be processed?

Every grant must have a Transmittal Form and a copy of the sponsor’s guidelines. Many grants also require a Cost-Share Commitment/Indirect Cost Reduction Form. Also, once a year, every faculty member must submit a Conflict of Interest Form.

Why do I have to include Indirect Costs (Facilities and Administration Costs) on my grant’s budget?

The University has negotiated a flat rate with the federal government (specifically, in our case, the Department of Health and Human Services) for the use of UH facilities and administrative support (including general use office supplies and computers, secretarial assistance, etc.). Because of this, you don’t have to calculate the real amount for each of these services — which would be enormously complex and time-consuming, anyway — and can merely include the flat rate. UH’s IDC rate for on-campus research is 50%. For off-campus research, the rate is 26%.

I’m applying for a grant, and the sponsor says payment will be made only to individuals, not their institutions. Does this mean I can bypass the Dean’s Office and the Office of Contracts and Grants?

No, you can’t bypass the Dean’s Office and OCG. You still need to prepare a complete transmittal form. We need to be able to track research efforts for audit purposes. We also need to know who is applying for what grants in order to effectively help other future applicants. It’s essential for us to know who’s applying, too, so we can recognize the good work done by those who receive awards.

Why do grants have to be routed through the Dean’s Office and the Office of Contracts and Grants?

The Dean’s Office should always be your first stop when you’re applying for a grant — either looking for funding opportunities, beginning to prepare an application, or getting ready to submit a grant. We will then take care of smooth travel through OCG and any other UH bureaucratic hoops. This two-tiered review in the Dean’s Office and OCG help ensure that the guidelines of the grant’s sponsoring agency have been met by your application. In addition, we verify that any internal university, state, and federal grant requirements have been met. We can check to make sure there are no conflicts with proposals (in the instances of limited submission proposals, among others) that could result in an application not being reviewed. Both offices serve as a central clearinghouse for all grants and contracts, which enables us to track research activity within the college and the university.