The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences offers graduate courses in the humanities and the social and health sciences . The goals of the graduate programs are to provide advanced academic instruction and expertise in the methods and skills of each discipline.
CLASS offers several doctoral degrees, the highest level of academic study. These rigorous, advanced programs require both coursework and extensive independent research, through the doctoral dissertation. Seven CLASS departments offer the PhD.
- Department of Economics: PhD Economics
- Department of English: PhD English and American Literature; PhD Literature and Creative Writing
- Department of Health and Human Performance: PhD Kinesiology
- Department of Hispanic Studies: PhD Spanish
- Department of History: PhD History
- Department of Political Science: PhD Political Science
- Department of Psychology: PhD Clinical Psychology; PhD Industrial/Organizational Psychology; PhD Social Psychology; PhD Developmental Psychology
All departments and schools in the college offer master's degrees, which provide in-depth instruction and preparation, beyond the bachelor's level, in a particular field. Students may use the master's degree to prepare themselves to move directly into the workforce or as a stepping stone to doctoral studies. The Master of Fine Arts is considered a "terminal" degree, meaning that it is generally the highest degree granted in the fine arts disciplines. All master's degrees require a significant amount of coursework, and some also require a master's thesis and/or comprehensive examinations to attain the degree.
CLASS offers the following master's degrees:
- Jack J. Valenti School of Communication: MA Mass Communication; MA Public Relations Studies; MA Health Communication; MA Speech Communication
- Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders: MA Communication Disorders
- Department of Comparative Cultural Studies: MA Anthropology
- Department of Economics*: MA Applied Economics
- Department of English*: MFA Creative Writing; MA English and American Literature; MA Applied Linguistics
- Department of Health and Human Performance*: MS Exercise Science; MS Human Space Exploration Science; MA Sports Administration; MAT Athletic Training
- Department of Hispanic Studies*: MA Spanish
- Department of History*: MA History
- Department of Modern and Classical Languages: MA World Cultures and Literatures
- Department of Philosophy: MA Philosophy
- Department of Political Science*: MA Political Science
- Public Administration Master’s Program: MPA Public Administration
- Hobby Center for Public Policy: MPP Public Policy
- Department of Sociology: MA Sociology
* It is possible to continue on into doctoral studies in your field at the University of Houston after completion of your master's degree in these CLASS departments.
Dean's Office Contacts
Dr. Catherine Patterson
Associate Dean of Graduate Studies
Program Director for Academic Records