College of Liberal Arts
and Social Sciences
The University of Houston
402 Agnes Arnold Hall
Houston, TX 77204-3000
Academic Scholarships for Undergraduate Students
(Fall 2013-Spring 2014)
The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences each year awards a number of scholarships to honor students while they are in the process of completing a degree at the University of Houston. The amount of award varies for each scholarship, and ranges from $500 to $1,200. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have a major declared in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences as specified for each scholarship.
- Student must have completed a minimum of 60 semester credit hours before Fall 2013. Seniors who graduate in December 2013 will receive half the total scholarship award for the Fall semester only.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours during Fall 2013 and a minimum of 12 semester hours during Spring 2014, unless otherwise specified.
- Student is expected to complete satisfactorily at least 75% of the enrolled semester hours for each semester of the Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 academic year.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 and must be maintained for each semester during the Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 academic year.
How to apply for a scholarship:
The application form can be found on the College Website or room 320 Agnes Arnold Hall. Students will be considered for all scholarships listed further below as CLASS undergraduate scholarships, if they meet the donor’s criteria, but will receive only one scholarship award. Only one application is necessary for each student, not each scholarship.
How to print a Degree Plan Audit (DPR):
Complete the application and attach all the following:
- Scholarship application including a single typewritten sheet of paper for items 3, 4, and 5 and a single typewritten sheet of paper for item 6.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty sponsor in CLASS (or previous institutions if you are an incoming transfer student). The letter should be on stationary, signed and sealed.
- Incoming transfer students who have earned less than 30 hours of coursework at UH must submit official transcripts from all institutions attended before the University of Houston.
- An updated degree plan report (DPR). May be obtained from major academic advisor or printed from student account. To print it yourself go to college website for further instructions.
- The application is not complete without your signature.
- Application should not be bound or otherwise mutilated (e.g. hole-punched, torn, etc.)
- Any additional criteria that may be required by the donor as indicated below.
Deadline for Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 scholarships: FRIDAY, March 22, 2013 5.00 p.m.
Each student’s application must be accompanied by all attachments. Incomplete packets will not be considered for a scholarship. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline!
Complete application packets should be submitted to the CLASS Office of Academic Affairs, 320 Agnes Arnold Hall by the deadline, 5 p.m., Friday March 22, 2013. Complete application packets may also be mailed or delivered to: CLASS Office of Academic Affairs, 320 AH, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204-3000, Attn. Scholarship Coordinator
CLASS Undergraduate Scholarships
E. Virginia Barnett
Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: outstanding academic performance; must be a current (Fall 2012 – Spring 2013 academic year) recipient of another UH scholarship.
Scholarships of $500 for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: documented leadership ability and civic involvement; must be enrolled for at least 9 semester hours. Students interested in applying for this scholarship should include mention of all leadership and community/civic involvement (see item #4 on the scholarship application).
Robert A. Eckels
Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: documented leadership skills; must be enrolled for at least 9 semester hours. Students interested in applying for this scholarship should include mention of all leadership and community/civic involvement (see item #4 on the scholarship application).
Dr. Ronald S. Lepow
One scholarship of up to $1,200 for students majoring in Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology. Additional criteria: student must be in good academic standing.
Don A. Sanders
Scholarship for any student with a major declared in CLASS. Additional criteria: student must demonstrate that he/she is a hard worker with a determination to succeed (see items #4, 5, and 7 on the scholarship application), and has a documented financial need. (Note: proof of financial need will need to be submitted to the Office of the Dean before the award is activated.)
Social Sciences Undergraduate.
Scholarship for majors declared in Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, or Sociology. Additional criteria: outstanding academic performance.
Applications will be reviewed by the CLASS Scholarship Committee, and decisions will be finalized by early May 2013. Applicants will be notified by letter as to their status; information will not be given out over the phone. Prior to the scholarship being activated, recipients are required to write a letter of thanks addressed to the donor and submit it to the Office of Academic Affairs.
Note: The scholarship award will be credited to the student’s account for the Fall 2013 – Spring 2014 academic year with funds divided equally between the two semesters. A student who is unable to attend for one or both semesters will forfeit the award for the semester(s) not in attendance. Scholarships are not automatically renewable. Recipients must re-apply each year.