The University of Houston is committed to advancing its status as a competitive Tier One research university. The UH Division of Research is the support system for the innovative work of our faculty, providing comprehensive resources and services for university research endeavors.
Below is a summary of the offices and functions within DOR. Our New Faculty Workshop page has materials and information presented at our annual event for incoming faculty.
Find Funding and Develop Your Ideas
The latest funding opportunities are announced weekly in the Inside Research newsletter, sent to all faculty every Wednesday. Information on internal awards and other external funding opportunities is available on our Funding Opportunities page.
Submit Proposals and Manage Your Awards
The Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) within DOR has two primary areas to assist researchers in helping the University fulfill its research, instruction, and public service missions.
This office within OCG assists faculty in proposal development and submission; sponsored project contract negotiation and execution of monetary and non-monetary agreements; and management of awards.
- Assist faculty members with proposal preparation and submission
- Create and route transmittals for institutional approvals
- Coordinate the transfer of incoming faculty awards to UH
- Review award agreements for favorable award terms
- Establish project cost centers for allowable expenditures
- Establish and monitor sub-awards agreements
- Liaise with sponsors for non-financial award matters
- Prepare and submit non-financial reports to agencies
- Review and negotiate external sponsored projects
- Review and negotiate non-monetary agreements
This office within OCG handles billing, financial reporting, effort reporting, and closeout for sponsored projects.
- Review grant expenditures, prepare and submit invoices, coordinate federal draw
- Prepare and submit final financial and non-financial close out reports to agencies
- Coordinate external financial audits
- Award close out
- Oversee the UH Effort Reporting certification process
Understand Regulations Around Your Research
The Office of Research Integrity and Oversight (RIO) Office is committed to the support and education of the UH research community in multiple aspects of regulatory review and Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR), including the ethical treatment of human and animal research subjects, the management of financial conflicts with potential to affect research outcomes, the review of allegations of research misconduct and noncompliance, and the congruency of research awards with oversight committee approvals.
Animal Care Operations (ACO) at UH provides professional veterinary and husbandry services to support animals used in biomedical and behavioral research. ACO maintains standards for animals, facilities, equipment and procedures, and offers services to faculty for animal procurement, training, veterinary consultation in research design, transportation of animals and veterinary care.
Business Operations (BizOps) provides human resources, financial, and administrative support services for the Division of Research.
- Research Administration provides oversight to laboratory renovation and construction projects, as well as University wide core facilities and large equipment purchases.
- IT is responsible for maintenance of computer databases and division information repositories.