Skip to main content

Campus Security Authorities

Am I a CSA?

The law defines four categories of CSA’s:

  1. University of Houston sworn police personnel and police administrators.

  2. Non-police staff or offices responsible for campus security - university security personnel, contract security personnel, parking enforcement staff, personnel providing access control and/or security at campus facilities, athletic events or other special events and other similar positions.

  3. Officials with significant responsibility for student and campus activities. This category is defined broadly to ensure complete coverage and thorough reporting of crimes. To determine which individuals or organizations are CSA’s consider job functions that involve relationships with students. Look for Officials (i.e., not support staff) whose functions involve relationships with students. An Official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the University. If someone has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, he or she is a CSA.

    Some examples of CSA’s in this category include, but are not limited to: academic deans; student affairs / residential life officials; coordinator of Greek affairs (or related positions); athletic administrators including director, assistant directors and coaches; student activities coordinators and staff; student judicial officials; faculty and staff advisors to student organizations; student advisors; and administrators at branch campuses.

  4. Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of campus security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.


Who is not a CSA?

The following non-CSA positions / functions include but are not limited to:

  • faculty member without responsibility for student and campus activity beyond the classroom;
  • physicians and nurses in the Health Center who only provide care;
  • clerical or administrative support staff;
  • cafeteria staff;
  • facilities maintenance staff;
  • information technology staff,
  • licensed mental health or pastoral counselors, when acting within the scope of their license or certificate; and other like functions.


For community members identified as CSAs, please see the General Letter to CSAs for more information.