Student Types - Online and Distance Education - University of Houston
Skip to main content



Incoming freshman? Transferring to UH? Returning former student? New graduate student? One of the many roles of Online and Special Programs is to support you in making the decision on where to get started. Our helpful and knowledgeable staff can discuss degree options and prepare you for what to expect when you arrive to the University of Houston.

Contact Us >


Award-winning faculty and online undergraduate degree options are just a few of the reasons why students choose UH. Once you've chosen a program the next step is to apply. The University uses ApplyTexas for the processing of undergraduate applications. Applying students will use ApplyTexas to submit an application, review a submitted application, and access post-submission functionality.

Freshman Admission Criteria >      Find Your Advisor >       Apply > 


Interested in transferring to the University of Houston to complete an online undergraduate program? Here's what you need to know to get started. The first major hurdle that our transfer students face prior to transferring is selecting a degree. Many transfer students are excited to study at UH but aren't sure about which degree to pursue. If this is you, contact us. We are ready to assist you.

Once you have a degree in mind we recommend you speak with a UH Transfer Advisor. They can help by reviewing your unofficial transcripts and can give you an idea on which credits will transfer to UH. They can also help you select which courses to complete at your current college prior to making the transition to the University. Now that you are prepared to make the transition it’s time to apply!

Transfer Equivalency Guides >      Find Your Transfer Advisor >      Apply >


Are you currently enrolled at another college or university and interested in taking a course at University of Houston? You can apply to the University as a Visiting Student by selecting the transient application type. As a visiting student you are not subject to the University's general admissions requirements and are only required to provide a transcript from your current university to prove you are in good academic standing. 

Consult with an Academic Advisor
The first and most important step is to discuss your plans with an academic advisor from your home institution to ensure the credits you take at UH will transfer back to your university.
Check course availability
Check the UH  class schedule online to make sure the course is available and open.
Note: Students who check availability before the open enrollment period begins may find that their desired course fills up during the initial enrollment appointment period. Remember, priority goes to degree seeking students. If your course is full, you will need approval from your instructor to enroll in the course.
Apply using the TRANSIENT application type
Visiting Students should  apply by selecting the transient student application type. Students must be in good standing at their current institution and only their current institution’s official transcript is required. The deadline to submit an application and all required documents varies. Please check the website for dates.
TSI Hold
Admitted Visiting Students are not required to comply with the Texas Success Initiative requirements for demonstrating college readiness, as they are not seeking a degree. Our automatic file evaluation process should recognize the Visiting status and not place an enrollment hold on those accounts. However, if a hold listed as “R40 TSI” is mistakenly placed, students should email to request a status review to determine whether the hold may be lifted.
Remove Bacterial Meningitis Hold
Beginning January 2014,  Texas State law (SB 62) mandates that all entering students under the age of 22 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that a student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration. Students may also submit proof of approved conscience exemption from the Texas Department of State Health Services (see below for more information).


Ready to return to the University of Houston? Here's what you need to know to get started. If you attended the University within the past 13 months you can pick up right where you left off and enroll in courses. If have not attended the University for four consecutive semesters or in the last 13 months, you will need to reapply to the University by completing the Apply Texas application and selecting the Readmit designation. Keep in mind that when reapplying you will need to meet the re-entry requirements of your desired major and you will need to provide updated transcripts if you have attended another institution since leaving UH.

Re-entry Requirements >      Apply >



We acknowledge there are several institutions to choose from in Texas, and we are happy you have decided to advance your education at UH. In-state students will follow the general graduate school application. If you are unsure of your residency status, please review the Texas Residency FAQs page for more information. Students should also review their specific program pages for application deadlines and requirements.

Application Deadlines >      Texas Residency FAQs >      Find your Advisor >      Apply >



At just over 1,200, out-of-state students represent a significant portion of our student population. UH is proud to provide excellence to students from outside of Texas. Out-of-state students should review our state authorization page to ensure that UH online programs can be offered in your state. Students who are non-Texas residents may also be subject to out-of-state tuition and fees rates.

Application Deadlines >        Find your Advisor >      Apply >          State Authorization >   


An applicant is considered international if they are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident. Last year, UH graduate programs received applications from students representing more than 100 countries around the world. Please review the links below for international student application information.

Application Deadlines >      Find your advisor >      Apply > 

International students on a F-1 or J-1 Visa are required by Federal Regulations to maintain full-time status (hours vary depending on student classification and semester) and make normal progress listed in their I-20 or DS-2019. Depending on the visa classification, students are restricted in the number of, or unable at all, to enroll in online courses. For more information, please click on the links below.

Online/Distance Education Course Policy for F-1 >      Online/Distance Education Course Policy for J-1 >