The graduate certificate in Geographical Information Systems provides students with knowledge and experience to compete and work in the field of GIS in both the public and private sectors. The combination of courses focus on the acquisition, storing, visualization, modeling, and analysis of information on spatial phenomena with some emphasis on geospatial applications.
Geographical Information Science (GIS) Certificate (UH Graduate Catalog)
Students seeking this certificate must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering, or additional course work to make up undergraduate deficiencies may be required.
- Well-qualified candidates in other fields may be approved by the GIS Faculty Advisor.
- Deficiencies will be noted at the time of admission.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (A=4.00) is required in the last 60 hours of all course work.
- Transcripts are required
- GRE scores are not required.
- For students enrolled in a graduate program, courses used for certification can also be used towards a graduate degree.
A student may be admitted either:
- To a graduate program in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Houston, or
- Directly to the GIS Certificate program as a “non-degree seeking” graduate student.
Online Application - All Graduate Certificate Programs
Dr. Shuhab D. Khan, Professor
Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
University of Houston