The Hydrogeology Certificate offered by the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences is available to both graduate students and non-degree seeking professionals. This certificate is designed for professionals who wish to be recognized as obtaining a broad background in the area of hydrogeology without completion of an advanced degree. This may include geologists currently working in the petroleum industry who wish to obtain positions in the environmental industry, as well as those with hydrogeology positions but lacking formal course work in that area. Classes for certification are part of the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences regular course offerings and thus are generally offered once every two years.
For additional information regarding the certificate program and new elective course options for the certificate, please visit the Hydrogeology Certificate information in the graduate catalog.
- Must have completed a bachelor’s degree in geosciences or civil engineering with a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (A=4.00) in the last 60 hours of all course work.
- Must have completed undergraduate course work equivalent to that required for a Bachelor’s degree in Geology, Geophysics, or Environmental Sciences (Environmental Geosciences Option only) at the University of Houston, or additional course work to make up undergraduate deficiencies may be required. Deficiencies will be noted at the time of admission.
- Transcripts are required.
For students enrolled in a graduate program, courses used for certification can also be used towards a graduate degree.
A student can be admitted either:
- To a graduate program in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Houston, or
- To the Hydrogeology Certificate program as a “non-degree seeking” graduate student.
For Admission information, visit UH Graduate School Admissions.
Credit hours required for this certificate: 15.0
Core Course Requirements
12.0 Credit Hours
Course substitutions may be allowed on an individual basis, with prior approval from the Hydrogeology Certificate faculty advisor. Details of each course are available in the UH course catalog.
- GEOL 6341 - Geochemistry Credit Hours: 3.0
- GEOL 6346 - Geochemistry of Water-Rock Systems Credit Hours: 3.0
- GEOL 6366 - Hydrogeology Credit Hours: 3.0
- GEOL 6388 - Geospatial Analysis and Applications Credit Hours: 3.0
Elective Course Options
3.0 Credit Hours
- GEOL 6332 - Air Pollution Meteorology Credit Hours: 3.0
- GEOL 6335 - Atmospheric Numerical Modeling Credit Hours: 3.0
- GEOL 6370 - Atmospheric Biogeochemistry Credit Hours: 3.0
- Or other approved electives (see certificate advisor for list), with prior approval from the Hydrogeology Certificate faculty advisor.
12 Credit Hours Rule
At least 12 Credit Hours must be earned in residence at the University of Houston.