The School of Art evaluates studio artists (those attempting to earn a BFA or MFA degree) on the basis of work completed in the major area of concentration.
- Undergraduate Applicants. No portfolio is required of incoming freshmen. Studio artists (working towards a BFA degree) will participate in followed by a competitive portfolio review in order to advance to the final semesters of major concentration at the junior and senior level. Find out more about applying as an undergraduate.
- Graduate Art History (MA) Applicants. The MFA program admits applicants based on their scholastic strength. Find out more about applying the the Art History (MA) program.
- Graduate Art (MFA) Applicants. The MFA program admits artists based largely on their portfolio and artist’s statement. Find out more about Art MFA Requirements.
All students wishing to pursue a music major at the Moores School of Music must audition on a primary instrument or voice. To schedule an audition, all students must complete the Moores School of Music online application in addition to the University of Houston’s general admission application, and must upload all required supplemental materials by the deadline listed for the audition date they are requesting (generally four weeks before the audition date).
Prospective students should expect to spend most of the audition day at the Moores School of Music to audition, attend a mandatory undergraduate information session, optional building tour and take the theory and aural skills diagnostic exam.
VOICE APPLICANTS: A pre-screening video recording is required and will be used to evaluate whether a student will be invited to attend a live audition. Recordings and applications for voice students are subject to earlier application deadlines. Please see the "Undergraduate Audition Requirements" document below for more details.
To be considered for a live audition, students must complete both the University of Houston general application for graduate admission, as well as the Moores School of Music supplemental application (including the submission of all required documents, video recordings, and test scores), by the deadline for priority consideration.;Students who submit the necessary materials on time, meet the academic qualifications, and pass a preliminary review and pre-screening will receive an invitation to attend one of the live auditions listed below. The entrance audition is also used as the audition for scholarship for an incoming student.All auditioning students should clear the full day of auditions as all will take a placement exam in Music Theory and attend an information session.Also, there are available school tours. Graduate applicants are encouraged to participate in the earliest possible audition date that fits their calendar.
* Please note that graduate applicant auditions in orchestral and wind conducting divisions are scheduled by appointment on alternate dates.
Theatre & Dance
Prospective high school senior or transfer theatre students who meet requirements to enter the University are invited to visit our program, audition for a panel of faculty members, and tour the University. Parents/Guardians are welcome to attend. Lunch is provided. REGISTRATION is limited to 40 student participants per day based on advance reservation. This is a fun and exciting day to get acquainted with our faculty, our program and our University.
(Note for Friday Audition Dates: Letter will be provided to you for your school administration/ COUNSELOR stating that you were present on a College visit).
- Friday, October 14, 2016 | 10am - 4pm (RSVP*) Audition/Open House
- Friday, October 28, 2016 | 10am-4pm (RSVP*) Audition/Open House
- Friday, February 19, 2017 | 10am-4pm (RSVP) Audition/Open House (NOTE: to confirm attendance at the February audition the prospective students must please provide proof of application to UH Main Campus
*Registration and Audition Forms and more information on audition can be found on the School of Theatre and Dance admissions page. Both forms and a resume must be submitted to Jackie deMontmollin at least two weeks prior to the event. Forms can also be mailed to:
UH School of Theatre & Dance
Attention: Jackie deMontmollin
3351 Cullen Blvd.
133 CWM Center
Houston, TX 77204-4016