Skip to main content

Termination of Employment

F-1 Workers

The employment of graduating F-1 students in student positions (such as Academic Support Assistant, GA, RA, IA, TA, TF) must end no later than the date of Form I-20 expiration, which normally is the date of graduation. If the termination date has to be later than the graduation date for payroll and/or benefits purposes, the "Last Date Worked" must not exceed the expiration of Form I-20.

The employment of students pursuant to CPT must end no later than the CPT end date indicated on the last page of Form I-20.

OPT Workers

Since UH workers in OPT status may not continue their UH employment based on STEM extension (unless employed as a temporary worker through CoreStaff), their employment eligibility will end on the expiration date of the initial EAD. To maintain employment eligibility beyond the EAD validity, please contact the Immigration Specialist for options in other temporary classifications. The Non-Immigrant (Temporary Visa) Worker section contains information about temporary classifications that allow employment at UH.

F-1 nonimmigrants desiring to resume studies at UH and continue employment as a student worker are encouraged to visit ISSSO for guidance.

H-1B, TN, O-1, and E-3 Workers

The hiring department should notify the Immigration Specialist of the voluntary or involuntary termination of a faculty or staff member on H-1B, TN, O-1 or E-3 status.  Notification should occur immediately upon the termination taking place, or earlier if prior notice is given.  UH may continue to be liable for paying wages to a former employee in one of these classifications if the Immigration Specialist has not been properly notified of the employment termination.