Accepting applications until March 3, 2023
CSE Program Overview
The primary goal of the Center for Student Empowerment (CSE) is to serve the needs of individual students. This includes three major parts:
- To provide students with the academic tools and personal skills necessary for student success and responsible citizenship.
- To promote the Tier One mission of the University of Houston in meeting the challenges of educating a dynamic mix of nontraditional and traditional students.
- To support the values of the University mission by building an environment that is inclusive, positive, and accessible where all participants feel welcome.
Grant Program Overview
The Center for Student Empowerment follows the guidelines of the state of Texas Higher Education plan, entitled “Closing the Gaps by 2015”. This publication of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) emphasis Participation, Success, Academic Excellence, and Research to achieve the impressive educational goals of the State of Texas. In accordance with THECB, the Center for Student Empowerment promotes Student Success, Educational Equity, Civic Responsibility, and Excellence in Leadership Values. To further these goals, the CSE provides financial assistance to students who participate in the CSE. This award is designed to improve the retention rate of the University of Houston and increase the number of successful UH graduates.
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Houston Main Campus
- GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application
- Be an active CSE member – attend at least three events per semester
Criteria for the Encouragement Award
- Be a full-time student taking at least 12 credit hours
- Both merit and financial need will be considered
- Self-motivation in completing challenging coursework
- Demonstrate leadership through involvement in a student organization and off-campus organizations
- Demonstrate academic excellence through academic achievement, awards, research, etc.
How to Apply
Completing the application is the first step to being a recipient of the Encouragement or Empowerment Grant Award. All required documentation must be submitted as well. All documentation is to be turned into the Center for Student Empowerment office in the Student Service Center 1 – Room 302. The information will be reviewed by the CSE Awards committee.
(All items must be completed and turned in at one time)
- Completed Application
- Letter of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
How Scholarships are Awarded
A one-time payment of up to $2,000 will be awarded to each selected recipient for tuition, fees, and books. The Awards Committee may choose to adjust the scholarship award amount or the number of scholarships accordingly, based on the status of the scholarship fund.
Scholarship recipients are asked to provide proof of course registration before the funds are granted to the award recipients.
Recipients will be selected by the CSE Awards Committee, whose decisions are final. Deliberation of the CSE Awards Committee will be confidential.
Scholarship recipients will be notified via e-mail.
Scholarship recipients will be announced at our annual banquet and on the CSE's website.
If a scholarship award recipient withdraws from the university or becomes an inactive CSE member, the award will be revoked.
Applicants are eligible to apply and receive a scholarship in successive years.
The Student Empowerment Award is awarded without regard to race, color, ancestry, sex, religion, age, handicap or veteran status.