The University of Houston's Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders boasts an extraordinary externship program that may be the finest of its kind in a single metropolitan area. Our program offers a student extern a choice from among OVER SIXTY different sites. Each site is staffed by one or more well-qualified professionals who holds the Certificate of Clinical Competence as awarded by ASHA and has completed continuing education hours in clinical supervision.
The sites are grouped as follows:
- Public school settings that involve over fifteen different districts in the greater Houston area.
- Facilities, other than public schools, where school-age children are served such as private practices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, and private schools.
- Facilities that specialize in service delivery to children in the birth to age-3 range. These are often referred to as sites that specialize in "early childhood intervention."
- Facilities that specialize in the adult population including acute and long term acute care hospitals, rehabilitation hospitals (inpatient and outpatient), skilled nursing facilities (nursing homes).
- Hospital placements include Trauma I-IV level centers.