Group counseling is a popular and beneficial CAPS service. Individuals meet for 1.5 hours online or in-person weekly with other members and 1 or 2 clinicians to explore new ways of coping, behaving, and interacting with others. There are no fees for students to participate in a group if they are currently enrolled in classes at the University of Houston.
Benefits of group counseling:
- Opportunity for students to participate in ongoing groups during the academic year.
- Groups will stay on the same day, same time, and have at least one of the same co-leaders from fall to spring semesters, enabling a student to continue working on goals if desired.
- Consistency in group offerings allows students to prioritize the day and time of their desired group when scheduling classes for the following semester
If you are interested in more information about group counseling please contact your individual CAPS clinician or call CAPS for an initial appointment and ask about group counseling.
Below are descriptions of our currently offered groups:
Understanding Self and Others
This group is a good fit for those who may feel socially isolated, have difficulties connecting with others, suffer from excessive self-criticism, or have problems asserting themselves in relationships. In this group, members give feedback to each other by expressing their thoughts and feelings about what others say or do in a group. Members also share about themselves and relate to each other's experiences, enabling members to provide much-needed support to one another. One unique feature of this experience is that facilitators try to make it safe for members to try out new behaviors such as increasing assertiveness or improving communication skills. Members are also encouraged to ask other members for feedback in order to learn more about themselves and how others might perceive them. The main goal is for group members is to determine possible changes that might improve their connections and interactions with others and themselves and then begin making these changes. Understanding Self and Others groups are a good match for those wanting a mixture of support and feedback regarding their goals and how they relate to others.
Navigating Social Waters Group
This group is for students who feel anxious about interacting with others or being the center of attention (e.g., giving a presentation). These students will most likely benefit from learning about their anxiety and learning tools to combat it, which is the focus of this group. This group will provide coping skills and techniques, as well as discussion of thoughts and feelings that occur in the group sessions. The small group format provides an unbeatable opportunity for members to practice engaging in interpersonal situations in new ways.
Creative Arts Group
A process-oriented group that focuses on connecting to one’s internal experience through the process of creating art. This can help improve mental health symptoms, promote self-awareness, and explore interpersonal concerns by tuning into one's emotional experience and finding release and expression through the creative process and sharing that follows. Students can expect access to a variety of art supplies, a safe and supportive environment to openly share sans judgement, confidentiality, prompts to assist in intrapersonal reflection, and space to express themselves.
Who is a good fit?
- Clients who enjoy/want to be creative as way to explore their mental health concerns and tune into their emotions
- All art levels
- Clients who want space to discuss mental health concerns at their own pace and capacity
- Clients who are looking for a mental health space that allows for alternative forms of communication
Who may not be a good fit?
- Clients who are looking for specific coping skills
- Clients who are looking to talk in depth/ process in depth what is going on in their lives
- Clients who want to do art for the sake of doing art and not capable or interested in the emotional component
Fall 2022 Group Offerings
|Tuesdays||11:30am – 1:00pm||Understanding Self and Others (virtual)|
|Tuesdays||11:30am – 1:00pm||Navigating Social Waters|
|Tuesdays||2:30pm – 4:00pm||Understanding Self and Others (in -person)|
|Wednesdays||11:00am – 12:30pm||Understanding Self and Others (in-person)|
|Wednesdays||1:00pm – 2:30pm||Understanding Self and Others (in-person)|
|Thursdays||10:30am – 12:00pm||Understanding Self and Others (in-person)|
|Thursdays||2:30pm – 4:00pm||Creative Arts Group (in-person)|