Group counseling is a popular and beneficial CAPS service. Individuals meet for 1.5 hours online or in-person weekly with other members and 1 or 2 clinicians to explore new ways of coping, behaving, and interacting with others. There are no fees for students to participate in a group if they are currently enrolled in classes at the University of Houston.
Benefits of group counseling:
- Opportunity for students to participate in ongoing groups during the academic year.
- Groups will stay on the same day, same time, and have at least one of the same co-leaders from fall to spring semesters, enabling a student to continue working on goals if desired.
- Consistency in group offerings allows students to prioritize the day and time of their desired group when scheduling classes for the following semester
If you are interested in more information about group counseling please contact your individual CAPS clinician or call CAPS for an initial appointment and ask about group counseling.
Below are descriptions of our currently offered groups:
Understanding Self and Others
This group is a good fit for those who may feel socially isolated, have difficulties connecting with others, suffer from excessive self-criticism, or have problems asserting themselves in relationships. In this group, members give feedback to each other by expressing their thoughts and feelings about what others say or do in a group. Members also share about themselves and relate to each other's experiences, enabling members to provide much-needed support to one another. One unique feature of this experience is that facilitators try to make it safe for members to try out new behaviors such as increasing assertiveness or improving communication skills. Members are also encouraged to ask other members for feedback in order to learn more about themselves and how others might perceive them. The main goal is for group members is to determine possible changes that might improve their connections and interactions with others and themselves and then begin making these changes. Understanding Self and Others groups are a good match for those wanting a mixture of support and feedback regarding their goals and how they relate to others.
Creating Space - Art Therapy Group
This is a group whose format includes a brief check in, a longer art/creativity space, and a brief check out. The purpose of this group is to create a relaxed and safe atmosphere where clients can channel their mental health concerns into their art, process and share emotions and thoughts that come up during art time and support one another.
Who is a good fit?
- Clients who enjoy/ want to be creative
- All art levels
- Clients who want space to discuss mental health concerns at their own pace and capacity
- Clients who are looking for a mental health space that allows for playfulness and lightness
Who may not be a good fit?
- Clients who are looking for a more verbal heavy space (this group will not be as verbally oriented)
- Clients who are looking for coping skills
- Clients who are looking to speak in depth/ process in depth what is going on in their lives
Summer 2022 Group Offerings
|Tuesdays||1:00pm – 2:30pm||Understanding Self and Others (in-person)|
|Wednesdays||11:30am – 1:00pm||Understanding Self and Others (virtual)|
|Thursdays||11:00am – 12:30pm||Art Therapy Group (in-person)|