As the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) spreads around the world, U.S., and Houston area, the CAPS team has been diligently working to make systemic changes that protect students, staff, and faculty, while also providing services to meet current needs. At this time, all CAPS Essential Skills workshops have been suspended, and all students who were referred to a “Getting Unstuck” or “Anxiety Toolbox” Essential Skills workshop should have received, or expect to receive, a call and/or email from their workshop facilitator(s) informing them of the suspension and alternative service options.
More than 2 out of 3 students who come to CAPS report that anxiety or depression is their main concern.
Luckily, very effective techniques and self-help methods exist that can help you feel less depressed and more in control of your anxiety. And the best thing is, you can implement these on your own, with just a little bit of knowledge and practice.
CAPS is proud to offer two brand new essential skills workshops that will teach you the skills you need to know to feel more in control and better equipped to deal with the challenges in your life.
- Anxiety Toolbox: This 2-week workshop helps you to understand and implement some of the latest strategies for preventing and managing excessive and debilitating anxiety and live a calmer and more balanced life.
- Getting Unstuck: This 2-week workshop helps you understand some of the causes of depression and implement strategies that can help get you unstuck.
What is the structure of the essential skills workshops?
Workshops are much like attending a class. Students meet for 1.5 hours each week for 2 weeks. Each week a CAPS clinician will provide attendees with new information and guide students to practice new techniques they can implement in their lives.
When and where do the workshops take place?
We offer essential skills workshops on different days and at different times of the week. Ask your CAPS counselor for more information to find the workshop that works best with your schedule.
Can I just show up to an Essential Skills Workshop?
No, essential skills workshops are only for CAPS clients and you will need to be referred to a workshop by a CAPS counselor. If you would like to learn skills to better manage anxiety or depression, you can walk in for a triage appointment and let your counselor know. They will then help you determine if an essential skills workshop is a good fit for you.
A workshop may be a good fit for you if:
- You are having a hard time dealing with anxiety or depression
- You are the type of person who doesn’t just want to talk about your issues but want to know what you can do about your situation and how to take action.
- You are motivated to learn new skills and ready to implement changes on your own.
Here is what students say:
“It has assisted on putting my life back on track”
“It helped me to be more aware of the situation around me and provided me with several coping/ improvement methods”
“It was very insightful”
“Topics and methods are very helpful”
Ready to take the next step?
Walk in for a free triage appointment to get your needs assessed and see if a workshop is right for you