Forecasters predict as many as four to eight hurricanes this year. University of Houston resources have expertise in a variety of topics related to storms – before, during and after.
UH Hosting Arts Open House Oct. 1Creative Programs, Events, Student Talents Showcased
On Thursday, Oct 1, the community is invited to the very first UH Arts Open House, a showcase of the university's creative offerings and student talents. Presented by the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts, this free event runs from 4 - 7 p.m. in the UH Arts Quadrangle (Entrance 16 off of Cullen Blvd.).
Among the event's activities and performances are:
- A costume and stage prop "petting zoo" presented by the UH School of Theatre & Dance
- Site specific collaborative performances from UH Dance students directed by Teresa Chapman, associate professor of dance
- Screen printing and artwork by UH School of Art student Jay Giroux
- Live music from the Moores School of Music including the Spirit of Houston Marching Band and UH Jazz Trio with Robert Wolf (guitar), Glen Ackerman (bass) and J.D. Guzman (drums)
- Readings from Creative Writing Program students Tiffany Thor, Ashley Capps, Jane Koh, Carrie Oeding and Hannah Gamble
- Inflatable sculpture installations by UH School of Art student David Graeve
- Performances from UH improv troupe Scatter
Free food and beverages will be available, and attendees can enter a raffle drawing to win a custom screen print shirt by Giroux, a Flip camera and arts gift bags.
The UH Arts Open House is presented in conjunction with Blaffer Gallery's "Red Block Bash," the museum's annual fall kickoff event.
For additional details on UH Arts Open House, call 713-743-5548 or visit www.mitchellcenterforarts.org.
UH Arts Open House
Arts Quadrangle (courtyard connecting Moores School of Music, Mitchell Center and Fine Arts)
University of Houston - Entrance 16
Houston, TX 77204