We can't wait to work with you as you begin your life as a UH Cougar!
But FIRST, let's make sure we have you in a major in which you can succeed.
Not quite sure you are in the right major? Finding the right major can be confusing and, at times, overwhelming.
It’s OK to make a change! But it’s best to invest the time now to research your options – before you complete orientation. Choosing a major is more than just picking from a list—it requires careful thought as well as input from an advising professional. Here is the information you need to make an informed major choice.
Step 1. Explore your major options.
- Take the UH MyMajors career assessment for a customized report on your “Top Ten” UH Majors.
- See a complete list of UH majors with freshman, transfer, and change of major requirements.
- Think you may not qualify for the major you want? Students in your situation who have been most successful have been open to thinking about redirecting their path to UH Majors for Different Career Paths.
- Please Note:
- Many of these majors have specific admissions requirements, and admissions is not guaranteed.
- Some majors have portfolio reviews or auditions.
- Some majors have limited admissions times per year.
- Some majors have course enrollment requirements, such as requirements to take courses in that major every semester. Taking the time now to learn about these majors will ensure you don't take unnecessary credit hours.
- It may turn out that you decide to change to a different major within the college to which you are already accepted.
Step 2. Talk to the experts.
- Register to attend a “Major Change 101” session with UH Admissions staff. These 45-minute sessions are an opportunity for you to learn specifically about Colleges with additional admission requirements (e.g., Business, Engineering, NSM, and Nursing).
Step 3. Now that you’ve done your research, are you interested in changing your major?
- No, I’d like to keep my current major. That’s just fine. Good luck, work hard, and stay in contact with your advisor so you can stay as informed as you can.
- Yes, I’m ready to change my major. Great! Contact the Admissions office to request a major change
- If your major is not able to be changed as you requested:
- If you wish, you may request a one-on-one conversation to discuss this decision with an admissions advisor;
- A final cautionary note: if you are planning to begin in one major and work toward changing majors at a later time, please proceed with caution. Unofficially pursuing a degree plan that is different than the degree in which you are declared is rarely a path to success. You’ll miss out on advice from an advisor who really knows your major, you may not feel comfortable getting involved in college organizations and events, and you might end up behind on your graduation timeline. If you need more time and help to get where you’re going, consider changing your major to Exploratory Studies.
- I’m still undecided That’s OK! If you are a freshman or a transfer student with fewer than 45 transfer credit hours, you can change your major to Exploratory Studies. Exploratory Studies is a short-term preparatory major that will give you time to ponder your interests, consider your options, make confident, informed career decisions, and complete your prerequisite preparation for the major of your choice.
That’s it! Welcome to the Cougar Nation—we look forward to seeing you succeed here at the University of Houston!