The Alonzo Cantu Scholarship is for incoming freshmen at the University of Houston who graduated from any high school in Hidalgo County, Texas. Qualifications and requirements are listed below. The award is renewable for up to four years with a maximum amount of $16,000 for students who maintain a 2.75 GPA, full-time enrollment, and remain Pell Grant-eligible. The Urban Experience Program supports these students in adjusting to college life, as well as providing opportunities for them to grow as an individual and as a member of the university community.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- You must be a senior graduating from any high school in Hidalgo County, Texas
- You must be an entering freshman in the Fall 2019 semester
- You must be rank in the top 25% of graduating class
- You must demonstrate financial need and be Pell Grant eligible (as determined by the University of Houston Financial Aid Office and defined by the Department of Education using FAFSA)
- A completed application
- 2 letters of recommendation
- 1 personal statement that describes your personal and professional goals and community involvement.
Recipients may receive the Alonzo Cantu Scholarship and additional scholarships to assist in paying for college.
If you have questions about this scholarship, please contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at (713) 743-1010, option 5.