Forms for Graduate Students - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Forms for Graduate Students

All forms should be completed and submitted first to your home department so your academic advisor can assist you in filling out the forms and obtaining the required signatures. It can take up to 10 to 15 business days to process forms through the department and College. Please do not bring the forms to the Dean’s Office.

Leave of Absence Form
This document serves as a means of officially requesting a semester of leave of absence (LOA) from your graduate program. NSM requires all graduate students (Ph.D. and Master’s) who are not enrolled in a long semester (fall or spring) to have an approved LOA on file before the start of a term. This form must accompany a Graduate and Professional Student Petition for a request to be considered. For more information, please see the NSM Leave of Absence (LOA) Procedures.

Committee Composition Form
Students who complete a dissertation or thesis as part of their degree requirements must specify a committee and have the names on file with the NSM Office of Academic Affairs at least one semester prior to their graduation. Specific details on how to compose your committee can be found in the NSM section of the UH Graduate Catalog.

Change in Committee Composition Form
Students who already have an approved dissertation or thesis committee on file with the NSM Office of Academic Affairs will need to submit this form when there is a change in the committee membership or a member’s affiliation (department/institution/company). The new membership must still meet the NSM committee composition requirements once it is reformed.

Graduate Tuition Fellowship Extension Request
Use this form to request a Graduate Tuition Fellowship (GTF) after your 10th long semester of GTF funding. Please visit NSM GTF for a list of the fellowship eligibility requirements and details. Students should submit this and other required documentation to their staff advisor.

Graduate & Professional Student PetitionThis form is used for a variety of special requests regarding a student’s academic records, including leaves of absence. It can be initiated by the student or by the department and must be approved at all of the required levels before being processed by the Graduate School. For assistance, see the instructions page.

Medical/Administrative Term Withdrawal Request
This form is used when a student is withdrawing from a term for documented medical or administrative reasons (including military deployment and death of an immediate family member).  Appropriate documentation should be attached to the request.  Students should also attach a Graduate & Professional Student Petition requesting a leave of absence and the NSM Leave of Absence Form, and international students should attach a completed and approved Reduced Course Load Form.

Curricular Practical Training

Reduced Course Load Form

For additional forms, see the University of Houston Graduate School forms and procedures and Office of International Student Services forms and publications.

Written Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form
This form, signed by the entire student’s committee, should accompany the submission of a thesis or dissertation to the College for review by the College reader. Once approved by the College, it will be signed by the Dean or Associate Dean, and submitted to the Graduate School by the Office of Academic Affairs of the College.