University of Houston
This scholarship honors the memory of Jesse Clayton Jacobs ('12), an alumnus of the University of Houston. The successful candidate of this $2000 scholarship will have been involved in the LGBTQ community in one or more ways in the last two years. (Deadline 6/19/2020)
This scholarship is an essay contest for current UH students. The essay topic is "The benefits of being LGBTQ". Many times the LGBTQ community focuses on negative issues and problems that arise, so in this essay students will explore the joys, advantages, wonders, and benefits of being a member of this fabulous community. (Deadline 6/5/2020)
- Sample Application
- (2019) Steve Love
- (2016) Christopher Wong
- (2014) Ty Hughes
- (2012) Kevin Pham
- (2011) Thu Huynh
Community Involvement Scholarship – Inactive.
- Past Recipients
- (2017) Jerome Brewer
- (2015) Priyank Pillai
- (2013) Yesenia Chavez
This scholarship will be for $500 minimum and is for incoming freshmen, current undergraduate students, or current graduate students at the University of Houston.
- Out for Education funds needs-based scholarships for GLBT Houston area students.
- Houston Transgender Unity Community funds needs-based scholarship to recognize outstanding transgender students and to contribute toward their continuing education.
- APIQWTC Scholarship funds two $400 scholarships for Asian Pacific Islander lesbian, bisexual, or queer women or transgender individuals pursuing technical/professional training or higher education.
- Believe in a Dream Scholarship offers scholarships year-round to GLBT students who demonstrate need, academic achievement, and community involvement.
- Peggy Rudd Transgender Scholarship Fund was created to recognize outstanding transgender students and to contribute toward their continuing education.
- OutTexas Foundation – The scholarship amount varies and is based on Texas residency, connection to the LGBTQ community, and applicants' future plans. Applications are due at the end of January each year.
- NLGJA Kay Longcope Scholarship Award - Funds scholarship for an LGBTQ person of color planning to pursue a career in journalism. Applicants must attend or plan on attending a U.S. community college or four-year university.
- NLGJA Leroy F. Aarons Scholarship Award Funds $5000 scholarship for an LGBTQ student planning to pursue a career in journalism. The applicant must attend or plan to attend a U.S. community college or four-year university.
- NWSA Graduate Scholarships in Lesbian Studies Funds scholarships for graduate lesbian studies.
- The Point Foundation Funds scholarships for undergrad, grad and post-grad students who are marginalized because of their sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- American Atheists Gay/Lesbian College Scholarship Funds scholarships for students who are atheists, awarded primarily based on activism.
- Colin Higgins Youth Courage Awards Colin Higgins Foundation awards grant youth activists ages 13 to 21 that have shown courage in fighting for LGBTQ human rights in their communities. To be considered for a grant, one must be nominated.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund Funds needs-based scholarships for students actively working toward peace and justice at an accredited institution.
- HRC Foundation Scholarships Funds three non-renewable $2,000 scholarships for LGBTQ and allied students who have demonstrated exceptional commitment to the fight for queer equality.
- Kenneth W. Payne Student Prize Competition Funds scholarships for undergrad or grad student who writes a scholarly anthropological paper/study on an LGBTQ topic.
- LEAGUE Foundation Matthew Shepard Scholarship Funds scholarship for a student who demonstrated leadership in promoting diversity and understanding in the community.
- Stonewall Community Foundation Scholarships & Grants are sponsored by the Stonewall Community Foundation and awards three $3000 scholarship to lesbian-identified students who are motivated to make a difference and have a history of academic excellence and community service.
- NOGLSTP National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals offers two $5000 scholarships to one undergraduate student and one graduate student in a science, technical, engineering, or mathematical (STEM) program.
- College Resource Network A free scholarship search engine and college planning website specializing in Minority Scholarships with a focus on LGBTQ Scholarships.
- Joshua Gomes Memorial Scholarship Fund - Funds aims to lay a path for hope for young adults with HIV/AIDS by providing academic scholarships to universities of their choice. Each $1,000 scholarship we award will give the recipient a strong message: You are worth investing in! Scholarships are awarded based on a combination of merit and need.
- Gamma Mu Foundation- Scholarships are awarded to LGBTQ+ students based upon financial need.