This aid is for UH students who are having short-term financial difficulty related to their sexual orientation or gender identity. The aid is intended to assist the student in maintaining or improving their academic standing. No applicant will be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. (Submission of this application does not guarantee the applicant will be awarded.)
- Currently enrolled in and attending at least 6 financial aid eligible credits during fall or spring or summer classes to be considered for the grant.
- Must be a degree-seeking student in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or show evidence of recent satisfactory progress.
- A letter stating, that coming out as an LGBTQ student while attending the University of Houston, the student has encountered a financial hardship that threatens the student’s ability to be academically successful.
- The student is to provide a confirmation of the situation by a reference that verifies these circumstances.
- The student submits an application online.
- The student will be contacted by the LGBTQ Alumni Association director of scholarships to discuss the student’s needs.
- A plan of action will be created.
- The director of scholarships will discuss the student’s action plan with the UH LGBTQ Alumni Association Board for the recommendation of award.
- Executive Officers will make the final decisions on the amount and allocation of funds.
- The Director of the UH-LGBTQ Resource Center will be made aware of all awards once a decision has been made.
- Emergency aid will be awarded to a company or a business providing the services to the student. No funding will be made directly to the student.
This emergency aid may affect a student's financial aid. It is recommended that the student checks with the Financial Aid Department before accepting this aid.
- Grant may be awarded ONCE a semester
- Grants do not have to be repaid