LGBTQ Friendly Policies - University of Houston
Skip to main content

LGBTQ Friendly Policies

There are many University of Houston departments that have policies and practices that are LGBTQ inclusive. Here is a list of those policies and practices. If your department has an LGBTQ inclusive policy that is not listed, please email Kevin Nguyen.


The library allows faculty and staff members to designate one "authorized borrower" to have library privileges. That person is not tied to notions of marriage or family.

Campus Recreation and Wellness Center

CRWC members may sponsor their spouse (or one other adult living in the same household) and/or children ages 4-22 to purchase a membership to the CRWC.

University of Houston students, faculty/staff and spouse/partners of students, faculty/staff shall be permitted to participate in Departmental programs, activities, and services (to include Intramural Sports, Sports Clubs, Aquatics, Outdoor Adventure, and Fitness) in accordance with the person’s gender self-identification or expression.

UH Department of Athletics

The UH Department of Athletics has stated that they will defer to the NCAA for all matters of inclusion. The NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Student-Athletes document states…"The Office of Inclusion will provide or enable programming and education, which sustains foundations of a diverse and inclusive culture across dimensions of diversity including, but not limited to age, race, sex, national origin, class, creed, educational background, disability, gender expression, geographical location, income, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation and work experiences."

Cougar Card Office

The Cougar Card system pulls your name from the preferred name section in the myUH System. As long as you have your preferred name entered into your myUH account, it will appear on your Cougar Card ID. For instructions see Transgender Affairs.

Human Resources

Bereavement Leave
Regular, benefits-eligible employees with same-sex partners shall be granted an emergency leave because of a death in the employee's family. This is an exception to the state's policy and must be approved by Human Resources. Leave requests should be submitted as usual.

Student Housing and Residential Life

Student Housing and Residential Life uses a Facebook application called Roomsync that allows students to answer basic questions about lifestyle preferences, check out potential roommates' Facebook pages, send messages and ask questions of potential roommates, and choose their own roommate. This allows LGBTQ students to get an idea about the LGBTQ friendliness of potential roommates.

That said, UH Student Housing recognizes that students are not all alike, and have different needs. Student Housing addresses specific concerns on a case-by-case basis. But at no time will Student Housing force a student, who has followed Housing procedures, to have to find a comfortable, welcoming housing assignment on their own.

Also see Gender Inclusive Housing.

UH Veterans Services

UH Veterans Services at the University of Houston affirms its commitment to nondiscrimination in the development and delivery of services and programs to student-veterans. In accordance with University policy, VS is dedicated to the creation and maintenance of an environment conducive to the support of student-veterans regardless of their race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, and/or sexual orientation.

Graduation Application (preferred name)

When you apply for graduation, you can indicate on the application that you would like your preferred name printed on the commencement program (if you are participating). Just make sure you have your preferred name entered in MyUH.

Legal name change documents are required by law to change diplomas and transcripts.