University Information Technology (UIT) periodically reviews CougarNet and UH Central Web Server accounts for active use. Student accounts are assessed twice a year and accounts are disabled based on status with the University of Houston campus. Account practices associated with Faculty and Staff are explained in the SAM 07.A.07 policy.
A user is considered inactive if they are no longer affiliated with the University of Houston.
- Faculty: Faculty members are not eligible to keep their account resources after ending their teaching assignment. Faculty members who need to continue to conduct university business after their account is disabled, should contact their department Business Office Administrator. Please see information on sponsored accounts. Faculty Emeritus should write to email@example.com to keep their account resources from being disabled. The Business Office associated with a retiring Faculty member reserves the rights to allow that specific Faculty Retiree to keep their accounts through the sponsorship process. Faculty Retirees need to work with the Business Office associated with the department business office they are retiring from.
- Staff: Staff members are not eligible to keep their account resources upon separation from the University. Staff accounts are disabled effective immediately on the specified Termination Date within the PeopleSoft system. Please contact the UIT Support Center at 713-743-1411 to inform of recently changed jobs or a leave of absence.
- Sponsored Persons: Sponsored persons will have an expiration date associated with the use of their account resources. Sponsored account resources are disabled effective immediately on the specified Termination Date within the PeopleSoft system. All sponsored persons must go through an ePerson of Interest process to acquire account resources.
- Alumni students: Students who graduate are eligible to keep their account for one year in accordance with your status in PeopleSoft system. If there is no enrollment for classes within the one year, their computer account resources will be disabled.
- Undergraduate and Graduate students: If you are not registered for classes for the current semester or one year prior to the current semester, your account will be disabled.
- Admitted students: If you are not registered for classes for the current semester or any previous semester since you received your account for admission purposes, your account will be disabled.
- Departmental Sponsored Accounts: If the owner of a departmental account is no longer affiliated with UH, a new owner must be named with our online request system by choosing the Change of Ownership option.
UH email aliases and destination addresses
Note on email aliases (@uh.edu): Email aliases are not always involved in the account disable process. Alumni of UH and Faculty Retirees can retain their UH Alias as long as the Destination is maintained with a valid email address.