Elizabeth D. Rockwell Conference Funding Program
The Elizabeth D. Rockwell Center on Ethics and Leadership at the Hobby School of Public Affairs will award $25,000 annually for a UH faculty member, a group of faculty members, or a department or college to organize a conference on some area of ethics and leadership. Preference will be given to proposals for conferences that are likely to yield articles or book publications, such as an edited book based on the conference or several articles by UH faculty members.
Applications for the EDR Conference Program are now being taken for the 2023-24 academic year, including the summer of 2024. The deadline for submission of awards is February 1, 2023. Applications should be submitted as one pdf to the EDR Center email address: edrcenter@Central.UH.EDU. Please write in the subject line "EDR Conference Program application," and cc Daniel Engster: email@example.com.
Application materials should include:
- A description of the conference theme, an explanation of its importance, and a statement about how the conference will help to bring recognition to UH as a leader in ethics and leadership scholarship (no more than 1,000 words);
- A brief description of plans to publish articles or a book out of the conference;
- The CVs of the main organizers of the conference;
- A list of proposed participants with emails indicating their preliminary interest to participate in the conference;
- A budget including projected costs of travel, hotels, food, and honoraria or other costs;
- A declaration of whether or not the conference will be free or you will charge a fee for attending it;
- Evidence of other funding if the budget exceeds $25,000.
Criteria for the award include
- Potential of the conference to contribute to our understanding of ethics or leadership in some field;
- Potential of the conference to increase national and international recognition of the University of Houston as a leader in ethics and leadership studies;
- The likelihood that the conference will result in some substantial publications;
- A record of excellence by the conference organizers in an area related to the conference theme; and
- Feasibility of the conference.
For more information, please contact Daniel Engster at firstname.lastname@example.org