On the other side of the world, in one of the world's greatest cities, is a rare opportunity for Hilton College students. Hong Kong, home of the top hospitality school in Asia, is where East meets West and where students from every corner of the globe gather to study and encounter an exhilarating and wholly multicultural city. Immerse yourself in the study-abroad program at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University's School of Hotel and Tourism Management.
The tourism-based, semester-long program offers a diverse array of courses, from tourism economics and theme-park management to wine studies and Chinese and Japanese culture. And you can tailor the program to fit your interests by choosing from any number of electives. Think of the possibilities!
You'll also have many opportunities to travel in Hong Kong and throughout Asia—visiting casinos, hotels and destinations in China and Macau, a region that is considered a premier gaming destination—to learn how the booming Asian market does business.
English is widely spoken in Hong Kong, public transportation is extremely accessible and convenient, and the city is lively but safe, offering a unique blend of Eastern and Western culture.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, known as HK PolyU for short, has partnerships with universities throughout the world, making the student body extraordinarily diverse and giving you a multicultural experience second to none. International students live, study and play together in campus dormitories at a reasonable cost.
One or two Hilton College students will be selected each fall and spring semester for this once-in-a-lifetime study-abroad experience.
- Must be a declared GHL major with at least sophomore status
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.85
- Must have at least one semester remaining at UH upon return from abroad
- Must have a valid passport: 6 month validity rule meaning that your passport should be valid for more than six months before you would be allowed to enter Hong Kong. If you do not have a passport, apply immediately from the U.S. Department of State. Or inquire with the UH Learning Abroad Office
- Health insurance is required that covers basic medical illnesses. If you do not have health insurance, you will be required to purchase either with the UH Health Center or through a private insurance provider.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an GHL Study Abroad application. The application includes submitting a résumé, essay and naming a faculty reference.
- Applications will be reviewed by the HRM Study Abroad Selection Committee and students will be informed of their status within two weeks of the application deadline. Assessment of application is based on academic qualifications of the applicant, integration of Hong Kong PolyU curriculum with applicant's degree plan and strength of essay.
- Selected applicants will meet with Jennifer Glickman regarding their application packages to Hong Kong PolyU.
- Selected applicants will meet with UH Learning Abroad academic advisors
IMPORTANT: The International Admissions deadlines for Hong Kong PolyU are April 15 (for fall terms) and October 15 (for spring terms). Successful applicants should be prepared to produce the following required documents within two weeks of selection for timely submission to Hong Kong:
- Official university transcripts
- Valid passport identification page
- Bank documents verifying financial support of HK $25,000 (approx USD $3,222)
Selected Applicants Agree to
- Sign a Student Responsibilities Contract.
- Apply for an International Educational Fee Scholarship (IEFS)—deadline October 1 (spring) or March 1 (fall).
- Comply with all requirements, deadlines, and procedures of UH Learning Abroad. Please note that Learning Abroad requires an additional application form and a number of documents for outgoing exchange students.
- Assist Hilton College with study-abroad exchange activities (i.e. promoting at All Students Organization Fair, giving short presentations to students about the experience, greeting/assisting incoming exchange students, assisting outgoing exchange students, etc.) during the semester after returning.
- University of Houston tuition and fees
- UH Learning Abroad Administrative Fee ($75-$125)
- Airfare–approximately $1,300 as of Oct. 2016
- Housing—dormitories available for exchange students at approximately $170/month)*
- Passport—if you do not hold a valid passport, please apply for one immediately
- Courier costs for shipping documents to Hong Kong (approximately $50)
- Visa fee—paid to HK PolyU
- Medical Study Abroad Insurance - Required (Recommended UH Student Health Insurance)
- Local transportation costs—varies depending on how much you travel (Metro, appoximately $1; Bus, approximately $2)
- Academic materials/textbooks, as required by your syllabi in Hong Kong
- Personal expenses and incidentals (meals, plus a minimum of $600 to cover monthly expenses)
Personal preferences affect the total cost of your program. Participants should plan for the trip and budget appropriately.
*More on estimated living costs in Hong Kong for exchange students can be found here.
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- HK PolyU School of Hotel & Tourism Management (HTM)
- HK PolyU Application Procedures - please review; the selected UH student(s) will start immediately with these application procedures
- Discover Hong Kong - Official Travel Guide