Guaranteed Free Tuition for Students with Family Income up to $45,000
The University of Houston will guarantee free tuition and mandatory fees to new in-state freshmen with family incomes at or below $45,000, who meet certain academic requirements. The Cougar Promise is the University of Houston's promise to low-income families that college is accessible to their children and that financial aid will be available to them.
Eligibility is determined when a student has completed a FAFSA by March 15, 2018. Students who miss the deadline will be awarded the Cougar Promise based on the availability of funds. A separate application is not needed since Cougar Promise is comprised of various gift aid sources for which the student is eligible. Gift aid is aid that the student does not need to repay.
To be eligible for Cougar Promise, you must be:
- A new entering freshman for Fall 2018
- A Texas resident for tuition purposes
- A high school graduate who has earned a recommended or distinguished diploma
- A member of a household whose parents' adjusted gross income does not exceed $45,000
- Eligible to receive Federal Pell Grant and must submit all financial aid forms with supporting documents by March 15, 2018
- Enrolled as a full-time student (at least 24 credit hours within an academic year) at the University of Houston
The Cougar Promise will provide tuition and fees to qualifying students for up to four years, as long as students continue to meet eligibility criteria and maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA. The Cougar Promise covers tuition and fees during the fall and spring terms only.