The Diamond Emergency Aid Fund is a grant administered through the Center for Student Empowerment (CSE), established through the generous gifts of Andy and Andrea Diamond along with alumni and friends of the University of Houston. The Fund has been created to provide funds for emergency financial needs of Eligible students which arise concerning their health, safety, well-being or inability to complete academic requirements.
Who is eligible?
Full-time student at the university (12 credit hours for undergraduate and 6 credit hours for graduate students) who is in good academic and disciplinary standing who meets at least one (1) of the following criteria:
- In foster care when they attained 18 years of age or graduate from high school; have spent time in foster care or were adopted through the Department of Family Protective Services(DFPS)
- An orphan
- Ward of the state
- Unaccompanied minor as defined by the Department of Education
How to apply?
What to submit?
You will need to upload a copy of any invoices, receipts, quotes, or charges that support your specific request
*Please make sure you have all documentation available when you apply. Any missing supporting material will result in a delay in the committee's decision.
What is the awards process?
- CSE staff will review the initial application for completeness on the day it is submitted to CSE Office.
- If not complete, CSE staff will provide guidance to the student to assist in completing the application.
- If complete, it will be forwarded to the Emergency Fund Committee.
- Emergency Fund Committee will approve or deny the completed application within two days of submission.
- If denied, the student will be advised as to the reason for the denial.
- If approved, the student's application will be forwarded to the Associate Director of Advising, SFA.
- SFA will determine student eligibility for funding within one day.
- Eligible students will be forward to the VPSAES for review and approval.
- The VPSAES will review within 24 hours and notify SFA and CSE of approval.
- Upon approval, SFA will aware the funds with notification sent to the student, the CSE Office and the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services.
How are funds distributed?
The Diamond Emergency Aid Fund Committee will review in two (2) University business days but will not exceed five (5) University Business days and return a decision to the student at the contact email provided on the form.
An eligible student may request funds no more than two (2) times per academic year and the total distribution shall not exceed $1,000. The Fund distribution may include, but are not limited to, distributions to pay utility bills, food, off-campus rent not to exceed one month per academic year of the eligible students share of off-campus rent, medicines, hospital/clinic visits, and technology needs to complete academic requirements at the University. Under no circumstances shall distributions be made to pay legal fees, bond fees, or child support or where the need for the request for distributions arose due to the payment of legal fees, bond fees, or child support of any person. There is no requirement that an Eligible Student repays all, or any part, of a distribution from The Fund.
If you have any questions prior to your submission, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.