Documentation and Student Eligibility Process
The Dart Center values meaningful, effective, and creative accommodations for students with disabilities. In order to evaluate accommodation and service request, the Dart Center will need information about how your disability is likely to impact you at the University of Houston. Our office wants to understand the relevant impacts of your disability on task like communication, reading, writing, housing, technology, dining, the physical environment, classroom, laboratory, and online learning, etc. Information on the impacts of physical communication, etc.), and behavioral abilities may be helpful as well.
Any information/documentation students can readily share during or prior to the first meeting is helpful and can save the need for follow up meeting with the Dart Center. The Dart Center recognizes that barriers exist and create hardships for students with regard to having and presenting third party disability documentation.
Steps to Register at the Dart Center
Requesting accommodations from the Dart Center is a three-part process:
- Self-identify as having a disability and applying through AIM database portal
- Providing disability information or documentation as below
- Schedule Coordinator Introduction Meeting to explore accommodations and get AIM profile set up
- Intake Interview with Access Coordinator
Evaluation of eligibility
In order to be eligible for accommodations through the Dart Center, you must:
- Have a disability that substantially limits one or more major life activities that includes, but is not limited to, walking, talking, learning, hearing, or seeing
- Have and provide current and appropriate information/documentation of such a disability, when necessary.
Below are some essential requirements we look for and may request in documentation. We recognize every disability and or health impact is unique to the person.
- Disability diagnosis
- Functional limitations, length of time or impact of disability
- Medications, side effects, and treatment (if applicable)
- Recommended accommodations and rationale
- Any assessments, findings, or scores
- If from a physician or medical professional, information needs to be on letterhead with contact information and some form of signature.
Please don’t delay in meeting with us for not having appropriate paperwork. If you have information or documentation you can submit it to the Dart Center by
- By bringing it to the address below
- Uploading it to our AIM database when applying
- Email: email@example.com
Please direct any questions concerning documentation requirements to:
Justin Dart, Jr. Student Accessibility Center
Student Accessibility Center Building 568, Room 100
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-3022
Phone: (713) 743-5400
TDD: (713) 749-1527
Fax: (713) 743-5396
All information submitted to the Dart Center becomes part of a student’s “educational record” as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The information contained from the student’s intake/interview and in the information/documentation will be used to determine eligibility. Appropriate accommodations will be decided case-by-case and based on a student’s disability and individual needs.