This course is 100% online | Start anytime.
Become a Certified EKG Technician
Electrocardiography (EKG) technicians are vital members of any healthcare team. If you want to join the booming healthcare industry as an EKG tech, this course will train you to apply, monitor, and measure electrocardiography tests in a flexible, online learning environment. Upon completion of this course, you will be prepared to take the Certified EKG Technician (CET) exam offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).Enroll Now
Job Outlook for Certified EKG Technicians
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts 9.9% growth in the demand for EKG technicians between now and 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- According to Indeed.com, the average base salary for EKG technicians in the U.S. is $51,397 with top earners making over $90,000 per year.
Certified EKG Technician FAQs
WHAT DOES AN EKG TECHNICAN DO?
IS CERTIFICATION NECCESARY FOR EKG TECHNICIANS?
WHAT TITLES ARE ASSOCIATED WITH AN EKG TECHNICIAN?
- Monitor Technician
- Telemetry Technician
- Biomedical Equipment Technician
WHAT SKILLS ARE IMPORTANT FOR EKG TECHNICANS?
- Learn medical terminology, including the structures and functions of the human body
- Understand what an EKG technician does and how to perform on the job
- Work with doctors, nurses, and other professionals to provide essential healthcare
- Become eligible to sit for the Certified EKG Technician (CET) certification exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
- Receive job assistance from our Clinical Experience Coordinator and access to our Clinical Experience Guide
Prerequisites and Requirements
To take this online course, you should have one of the following: High School Diploma, GED or equivalent, entrance test, or previous healthcare experience. To qualify for the certification exam, a High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Please check with your state for any specific requirements they might have before registering.
- Medical Terminology
- Introduction to Medical Terminology
- The Musculoskeletal System
- The Cardiovascular System
- The Lymphatic and Immune Systems
- The Respiratory System
- The Digestive System
- The Urinary System
- The Nervous System
- The Special Senses: The Eyes and Ears
- The Integumentary System
- The Endocrine System
- The Reproductive System
- Diagnostic Procedures, Nuclear Medicine, Pharmacology
- EKG Technician
- Introduction: EKG Technician
- Ethics, Compliance, and Communication
- Safety and Patient Care
- Patient Vital Signs
- Electronic Medical Records
- Human Anatomy and Physiology of the Cardiovascular System
- EKG Equipment Settings and Supplies; Maintenance and Disinfection
- Patient Preparation and Positioning
- Lead Placement and Artifacts
- Monitoring Patient Condition, Adverse Reactions, and Emergencies
- Fundamentals of EKG Analysis: EKG Tracing and Waveforms
- Waveform Symmetry, Direction and Amplitude
- EKG Analysis: Heart Rate Calculation
- EKG Analysis: Determining the Heart Rhythm
- Heart Electrical Physiology
- EKG Interpretation: Sinus and Atrial Arrhythmias
- Junctional and Ventricular Arrhythmias, Heart Blocks
- EKG Interpretation: Pacemakers
- EKG Interpretation: Cardiac Emergencies
- The Way Forward: NHA Test Preparation and Career Path
Registration and Enrollment
This course is open enrollment. You can enroll and begin anytime.