UH provides a secure wireless network for the use of UH students, faculty, staff, and guests.
Here are some instructions, information, and resources to help you use the UHWireless network.
To connect to the UHWireless network, you will need the following:
- Laptop computer or other mobile computing device
- Wireless network interface card (NIC), internal or external
- CougarNet computer account
- Access to the UHWireless network (see Buildings where wireless is available or UH Wireless Network Access Map)
UHWireless requires authentication through login using either a CougarNet account or the UHGuest account.
Logging in using your CougarNet account userid and password gives you access to web pages (both regular (http://) and secure (https://)) and other network resources (such as CougarNet home directories and shared network drives).
Logging in using the UHGuest account (userid UHGuest, password UHGuest (case-sensitive)) provides access to only to web pages (both regular (http://) and secure (https://)).
There are two ways to connect to the UHWireless network:
Web Browser Login
To see the list of supported web browsers, go to Supported Web Browsers.
- Select UHWireless as the Network Name or SSID.
If you are asked to accept a security certificate or two, click the Yes or Accept button to accept the certificate.
- Launch a web browser or open a new web browser window.
- Login using your CougarNet account username and password (or the UHGuest account).
Launching a web browser should take you to the UHWireless login page. This is regardless of the web address you entered or the web page your browser usually opens to. The address will look something like this: https://172.nn.nn.nn
Login with your CougarNet account userid and password. If you don't have a CougarNet account, you can use the UHGuest account (userid UHGuest, password UHGuest (case-sensitive)). After a successful login, the web address you entered or the web page your browser usually opens to will open. A window will also open telling you that you are logged in.
VPN Software Login
If VPN software is already installed on the computer you are using, you can run the VPN software and connect using your CougarNet userid and password.
- Launch the VPN software. The main VPN Client window will appear.
- Click the Connect icon, and the login window will appear.
- To log in using VPN, enter your CougarNet username in the Username field, enter your CougarNet password in the Password field, and click the OK button.
NOTE: The CougarNet password is case-sensitive.
NOTE: If you do not have a CougarNet account, contact the Information Technology Support Center at (713) 743-1411, send e-mail to email@example.com, or visit the IT Support Center in the MD Anderson Library Tech Commons for assistance.
For more information about using UHWireless, see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
If you have any trouble or questions please contact the IT Support Center at (713) 743-1411 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact your local IT support provider. The IT Support Center operates from 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week (except on university holidays).