IGE: International Travel - University of Houston
Skip to main content
Swansea students

The University of Houston (UH) encourages its students, faculty and staff to participate in international activities and promotes the development of opportunities for international study, research, and engagement. To this end, the University is committed to promote safety and accessibility to enhance student success for all international programs.

Getting Started

Start Here:

  1. Review travel to Elevated Risk Destinations
    Check if your travel plans are to an Elevated Risk Destination. If so, follow the steps to obtain travel approval. If your travel plans are not to an Elevated Risk Destination, proceed to step 2.
  2. Register your travel
    All students traveling internationally must register their travel following the appropriate application and registration process based on their type of travel, either traveling on Learning Abroad programs, or as other university sponsored travel.
    1. Students participating in an approved Learning Abroad program apply and enroll through the Learning Abroad Program Portal.
    2. Students accepted to or part of other international travel programs or trips not part of the Learning Abroad program catalog are required to register their travel through the Learning Abroad Student International Travel Registry. This travel may include, but is not limited to, credit and not for credit academic-related travel with or without faculty leaders, for credit or university-related internship, service learning, research, or volunteer opportunities, international fellowships, conferences, competitions, meetings, or registered student organization travel.
  3. Global Risk, Health, & Safety Resources
    Review our risk, health, & safety resources to help you prepare for your travel.
  4. Sign up for STEP
    Register your travel details with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling and living abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Contact Us

You can connect with the Assistant Director of Learning Abroad, Andie Beer to discuss your travel plans and to review the request and approval process for international travel.