Frequently Asked Questions - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is SOS?

Student Outreach and Support (SOS) responds to referrals regarding concerns about student safety and wellbeing, connects and collaborates with campus and community partners to ensure students are offered a continuum of care and support.

Q: Who can refer students to SOS?

Students are primarily referred to SOS by the Conduct Assessment and Response Team-CART and by the Assistant Deans of Students. Campus and community partners who have not submitted an incident report can also refer student on a case-by-case basis by contacting the Case Manager directly at 832-842-6183 or at

If a student is an immediate threat to self, others, or property it should be considered an emergency and directed to the UH Police Department at (713) 743-3333

Q: Can students self-refer?

Student to Student referrals and self-referrals can be referred directly to the Case Manager, at 832-842-6183 or by email at

Q: What happens after the referral?

The Case Manager will reach out to the student, and request a meeting to discuss the report made and available services. It is up to the student to respond to these outreach efforts. If there is no response to our efforts, the reporter will be notified of the unsuccessful outreach efforts. Only in cases of a conduct sanction is there a requirement to schedule follow-up meetings and only for the duration of the sanction.

Q: How is SOS different from working with Counseling and Psychological Services-CAPS?

CAPS provides ongoing mental health therapy, skill building and consultation to help students cope with problems they are experiencing. CAPS is a confidential resource. SOS receives concerns, assists with short-term planning and refers students to resources on and off campus.

Q: How is SOS different from working with Student Advocacy?

Student Advocacy Services is able to assist students with General questions, Information, Emergency Loans, University Procedures, Campus Referrals, Policy Clarifications with more of an administrative focus and

Advocacy Services provides administrative problem solving resolutions to students while Student Outreach and Support provides specialized outreach and support for students experiencing complex personal difficulty such as crisis or distress that impacts their social, personal and/or academic stability.