News from CLASS
UH Psychology Professor Rheeda Walker Featured in ‘Call to Unite’
University of Houston psychology professor Rheeda Walker will share her mental health expertise with the world during a 24-hour global livestream event starting Friday, May 1 at 7 p.m. Central Time. The “Call to Unite” will ask citizens worldwide to celebrate their shared humanity and stand together during the COVID-19 crisis.
UH Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic Offering Virtual Therapy
The University-Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic: A United Way agency has expanded the way it treats patients as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. All sessions are now being conducted remotely to adhere to social distancing guidelines.
UH Psychology Professor Joins Stars on BET Pandemic Relief Telecast
Joining a cavalcade of stars including Alicia Keyes, John Legend, Usher and Tiffany Haddish, University of Houston psychology professor Rheeda Walker will take part in the BET rally for communities impacted by COVID-19 on Wed. April 22 at 7 p.m. Central Standard Time.
Mike Floyd Named Second Truman Scholar in UH History
Mike Floyd, a University of Houston Honors College student and political science major in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, has been named a 2020 Truman Scholar by the Harry S. Truman Foundation. The Truman is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious national fellowships in the United States. Floyd is the just the second UH student to receive this honor and the first in 36 years. He is one of 62 scholars selected from a pool of 773 applicants, representing 316 colleges and universities.
Minimizing Relationship Tension at Home During COVID-19 Crisis
Mandates to stay home during the COVID-19 crisis should be a recipe for family bonding and the joys of togetherness, but according to John P. Vincent, professor and director of the Center for Forensic Psychology at the University of Houston, it could have the opposite effect.
Strengthen Your Immune System with Home Exercise
The coronavirus pandemic is forcing many people to work from home and in isolation. But if there’s ever a time to keep our bodies moving, it’s now. Exercise isn’t just good for your muscles and mind, it also primes your immune system making it tougher to get sick, according to Melissa Markofski, assistant professor in the University of Houston Department of Health and Human Performance.
CLASS Media Mentions
- Houston Chronicle Gerald Horne, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
- Houston Public Media Christiane Spitzmueller, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Texas Standard Rheeda Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- The Texas Tribune
280,000 more Texans filed for unemployment last week as oil collapse and coronavirus precautions wallop state's economyDietrich Vollrath, Ph.D., Department of Economics
- Innovation Map Energy Fellow Ed Hirs and Lecturer, Department of Economics
- Defender News Service Rheeda Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- KHOU 11 News
Good for drivers, bad business: Oil industry takes historic hit as prices sink into negative territoryEnergy Fellow Ed Hirs and Lecturer, Department of Economics
- KPRC-TV Matthew Gallagher, Ph.D., Clinical Psychology
- The Courier of Montgomery County Elizabeth Farfán-Santos, Ph.D., Department of Comparative Cultural Studies
- The Real News Network Gerald Horne, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
- Monthly Review Gerald Horne, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
'Racist' Corona or Bad Healthcare: Who’s to Blame for Higher Number of COVID-19 Deaths Among Blacks?Gerald Horne, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
- Newsrust Energy Fellow Ed Hirs and Lecturer, Department of Economics
- El Paso Times Steven Craig, Ph.D., Department of Economics
- The Atlantic Rodica Damian, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- InnovationMap Energy Fellow Ed Hirs and Lecturer, Department of Economics
- Bloomberg Scott V. Savage, Ph.D., Department of Sociology
- Houston Chronicle Elizabeth Gregory, Ph.D., Director of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies & IRWGS
- The New York Times Martin V. Melosi, Ph.D., Cullen Professor Emeritus of History, Center for Public History
- Patch Dietrich Vollrath, Ph.D., Department of Economics
- Self Magazine Rheeda L. Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- The Washington Post Mark A. Goldberg, Ph.D., History
- TODAY Rheeda L. Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Los Angeles Times Rheeda L. Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology