The Department of Economics awards a number of scholarships each year to support students while they are in the process of completing a degree in economics at the University of Houston. The amount of each award varies, but generally ranges from $500 to $1500. Students must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Student must have declared a major in economics.
- Student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours during both Fall and Spring semesters, in which the scholarship is awarded.
- Student must have completed at least 30 hours at the University of Houston by the beginning of the previous Fall semester.
- Student should have a minimum GPA of 3.3 (based on a 4.0 scale).
- Student is expected to complete satisfactorily at least 75% of the enrolled credit hours for each semester of the academic year.
The deadline for applications is May 31st. Application form may be downloaded here. Interested students who meet the above criteria, must complete the application form and email it to Dr. Natalia Zhivan at email@example.com along with the following:
- An updated official degree plan
- An unofficial UH transcript (DO NOT have transcripts sent directly to the Department of Economics.)
- Be sure to include information regarding your involvement in campus and extra-curricular activities. Being an active member and/or officer of the UH Student Economics Society is a plus.
- Incomplete packets will NOT be considered for a scholarship.
Additionally, a letter of recommendation from a faculty sponsor in the Department of Economics must be sent by the recommender directly to Dr. Natalia Zhivan at firstname.lastname@example.org.