Valenti School of Communication Scholarships
The Jack J. Valenti School of Communication is now accepting scholarship applications for the 2020-21 academic year. This scholarship program offers financial assistance to undergraduate and graduate students majoring within the school.
To qualify for a scholarship, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate financial need through application
- Maintain full-time status (12 hours for an undergraduate student or 9 hours for a graduate student) during each semester of the award
- Maintain a minimum GPA (3.0)
The application involves two steps. Please read these instructions carefully or else your application may not be considered.
- Online Application: You must complete the online application available here.
- Note: You are required to provide information about your GPA, the number of hours you have taken at the University of Houston, and your hours within the Valenti School. Detailed instructions on how to find that information is provided in our document, Accessing your Degree Audit Report (DPR) (click to download). For additional help, please visit our advisors during walk-in hours on Wednesdays.
- Faculty Recommendation: Please note that you must provide a faculty recommendation. To do this, ask at least one faculty member (from whom you have taken a course in the Valenti School of Communication) to write a letter of recommendation for you. Email the professor your request in advance and include the following link which they must use to submit the letter: http://bit.ly/valentirec20.
All scholarship applications are due March 4, 2020 at 11:59pm.
The following scholarships are not provided by the Valenti School of Communication but are available for communication majors. Many deadlines have been extended so check their website for the most updated information.
IABC Houston Student Scholarship
The IABC Houston Student Scholarship is in memory of Downs Matthews, an IABC Houston pioneer, to foster the communication profession. Undergraduate and graduate student applicants should be majoring in a field of communication. The scholarship is for $2,500.
What you need to do
- Click here to download the application. Students are eligible if their home residence is in the greater Houston region.
- The deadline for scholarship applications is Friday, May 22 at 5 p.m.
- You do not have to be an IABC member to enter.
The Headliners Foundation Scholarships
The Headliners Foundation of Texas annually awards 16 scholarships to outstanding undergraduate communication students and college journalists attending universities across the state of Texas who demonstrate talent for and commitment to the field of journalism.
Scholarship applications for the 2020-21 academic year are now being accepted on the Foundation’s website at https://www.headlinersfoundation.org/scholarships-1 and will be accepted through Friday, March 27th, 2020.
Awards range from $750 to $6000 and are competitively judged by the Foundation’s Academic Excellence Committee. Apply now for the opportunity to share in more than $70,000 that will be awarded later this spring, and please feel free to forward this message to others you know who may be interested in learning more.
The Texas Broadcast Education Foundation
Scott Scribes Scholarship
- Work toward an accredited undergraduate or graduate college/university degree
- Accredited college/university coursework taken as a non-degree-seeking student either in residence or online
- Academic residencies/internships