Applicants holding a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited undergraduate program may request review for Advanced Standing admission.
Applicants for Advanced Standing admission must meet all regular admissions requirements described previously, plus:
- At least one of your three references for your application must be from your faculty advisor or the chairperson of the Social Work Department where you completed your B.S.W. degree.
- You must have achieved a grade point average of 3.0 or better (4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of academic course work AND a 3.0 for your social work major. We will calculate your GPA based on your transcripts.
Not everyone who applies for Advanced Standing will be admitted with the advanced status; the admissions committee may deny Advanced Standing but still approve admission to the regular program.
The Fall application deadline for Advanced Standing is March 1st. At this time, applications for Advanced Standing are only considered for fall admission, not spring or summer.
An applicant whose grade point average is below 3.0 for the last 60 hours of academic work may be admitted conditionally. In addition to the requirements described previously, applicants for conditional admission must:
- Have at least a 2.6 grade point average for the last 60 hours (or 90 quarter hours) of academic work. This is a university requirement.
Submit a written request for conditional admission review addressing your low undergraduate GPA as well as your ability to manage the demands of a rigorous graduate program demonstrating your capacity for success in a graduate social work program. Examples of the evidence that should be included in your request follow:
- Successful completion of graduate course work (multiple courses completed with B's or better)
- Strong GRE scores
- Writing samples
- Outstanding work experience in human services (multiple years in a paid setting, with strong references).
Applicants will be notified if their GPA for the last 60 hours requires a written request be submitted for conditional admission. Instructions for uploading that written request will be provided.
Notes about Conditional Admission
- Students holding visas (F1 or J1) are not eligible for conditional admission at the graduate level at this university.
- Conditional admission may negatively affect your eligibility for financial aid.
- According to GCSW policy, students admitted conditionally must earn a minimum GPA of 3.0 on their first semester of graduate work. Failure to achieve a 3.0 GPA will result in termination from the M.S.W. program.
Social Work Transfer Students
Students who transfer to the GCSW from another CSWE accredited M.S.W. program must meet all regular admissions requirements, AND submit:
- A Statement of Good Standing from the dean or director of your program
- Syllabi for courses completed
Instructions for uploading these documents will be provided after the application is submitted.
A maximum of 30 semester credit hours, earned within five years of the student's graduation date at the GCSW, with grades of B or above, can be transferred for credit toward the M.S.W. degree at UH. Credit will be evaluated after admission but prior to enrollment.
For information on non-MSW credit transfer, see our Transfer Credit Policy.