The University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Founded in 1946, the University of Houston College of Pharmacy combines the opportunities and experiences of the Texas Medical Center’s world-class healthcare community with resources of the University of Houston, the state's premier urban teaching and research university, to offer its students the best possible education.
The UH College of Pharmacy aspires to foster a commitment to lifelong learning and an environment where students develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills consistent with the high standards of their profession and/or scientific field. Our college is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education and holds membership in the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy.
The College offers the following professional and graduate degree programs:
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) professional degree,
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Pharmacology, Pharmaceutics or Pharmacology/Medicinal Chemistry, and
The college also offers post-doctoral research fellowships and clinical/research, community and pharmacy administration residency programs in collaboration with institutions in the TMC and Greater Houston area, including the two-year Concurrent M.S./PGY1-PGY2 Residency Program in Pharmacy Leadership and Administration.
The College of Pharmacy has two campuses: Science & Research Building 2 on the main University of Houston campus and our Texas Medical Center campus, where students have access to the Texas Medical Center Library and collaborations with TMC institutions.
Our diverse faculty includes recipients of U.S. and international patents, prestigious National Institutes of Health grants and awards for teaching and mentorship/leadership. The College includes more than 50 full-time faculty members, 500-plus preceptors who provide training for students on pharmacy practice experiences, and many healthcare professionals from the community and researchers from across the nation who serve as volunteer/adjunct faculty.
- 2016 UH Faculty Awards: Teaching Excellence Award (Instructional/Clinical) and Undergraduate Research Mentoring-Early Career Award
- 2016 Society of Critical Care Medicine Texas Chapter: Teaching 2015 Excellence in Service Award for Education
- 2016 Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America Service Award
- 2016 Fulbright Program Specialist Roster
- 2016 Fellow, National Academy of Inventors
- 2016 Hematology-Oncology Pharmacy Association Basic Science and Clinical Research Literature Award
- 2015 UH Undergraduate Research Mentoring-Early Career Award
- 2014 Society of Critical Care Medicine Texas Chapter Excellence in Leadership Award
- 2013 UH Faculty Awards: Teaching Excellence Award (Instructional/Clinical) and Undergraduate Research Mentoring-Early Career Award
- 2013 Kappa Epsilon Fraternity Outstanding Advisor Award
- 2013 American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Clinical Nutrition Team of Distinction Award
Our students have distinguished themselves in research, patient care and service competitions as well as in leadership positions of international, national, regional and state professional and scientific organizations.
Recent National, Regional & State Accolades
- 2016, Operation Heart Award, APhA-ASP Region 6
- 2016, First Place-P3/P4 Division, National Clinical Skills Competition, SNPhA
- 2016, Remember the Ribbon and Bridging the Gap National Initiatitive Chairs, SNPhA
- 2016 First Place, TSHP Clinical Skills Competition (P1 Division)
- 2016 Kappa Psi Province 6 Chapter of the Year, UH Delta Delta Chapter
- 2016 JOGUE Junior Scientist Award (Association of Scientists of Indian Origin in America)
- 2015 ASHP Student Forum Outstanding Professional Development Program
- 2015 Invitrogen Science Hero Award-Lab Citizen
- 2015 APhA-ASP Region 6 Member At-large
- 2015 APhA-ASP Region 6 Operation Heart Award
- 2015 SNPhA National Chapter of the Year Award
- 2015 SNPhA Region IV Facilitator
- 2015 NASPA-NMA Texas Self-Care Championship (TPA)
- 2015 Phi Lambda Sigma National Chapter of the Year
- 2015 First Place, TSHP Clinical Skills Competition (P2 and P3 divisions)
- 2015 First Place, TSHP Disease State Management Competition
- 2015 TSHP Leo F. Godley and Ann Godley Residency Fellowship Award
- 2014 TPA Student Advocacy Award
- 2014 Gulf Coast Society of Health-System Pharmacists Outstanding Student Award
- 2014 ASHP Student Leadership Award
- 2014 TSHP Clinical Skills Competition (P2 and P4 divisions)
- 2014 Leo F. Godley and Ann Godley Residency Fellowship Award
- 2014 Fellow for Life, Houston-Galveston Schweitzer Fellowship
- 2014 Top 3 Finalist (Large Category), Rite Aid/SNPhA Chapter Excellence Award
- 2014 First Runner-up, SNPhA Interprofessional Health Fair Competition
- 2014 SNPhA National Diabetes Chair and Region IV Facilitator
- 2013 AACP Student-Engaged Community Service Award
- 2013 Top 3 "Large" Chapters & 4th in Nation Overall, Rite Aid/SNPhA Chapter Excellence Award
- 2013 Finalist, J.B. Hills SNPhA President of the Year
- 2013 & 2014, First Runner-up, NCPA Chapter of the Year
- 2013 Member Recruitment Award, National Kappa Epsilon Professional Pharmacy Fraternity
- 2013 NASPA-NMA Self-Care Championship (TPA), Top Finalist
Our alumni are leaders in a multitude of practice, research, academic and business activities and settings, including healthcare organizations, independent pharmacies and commercial enterprises, research institutions, higher education and government/regulatory agencies.
Recent National & State Accolades
- 2014 APhA/NASPA Texas Bowl of Hygeia Award
- 2014 TPA Pharmacist of the Year Award
- 2014 TPA Robert L. Hays Outstanding Consultant Pharmacist Award
- 2014 American College of Clinical Pharmacology Distinguished Investigator Award
- 2014 Society of Critical Care Medicine Dr. Joseph and Rae Brown Award
- 2014 & 2013 TSHP Fellows
- 2013 Willard B. Simmons NCPA Independent Pharmacist of the Year
- 2013 TPA Pharmacist of the Year & 2013 TPA PharmPAC Member of the Year
The University of Houston College of Pharmacy’s Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, 20 North Clark Street, Suite 2500, Chicago, IL 60602-5109, 312-664-3575; FAX 312-664-4652, web site: www.acpe-accredit.org.