Does Driving Wear You Out? You Might Be Experiencing ‘Accelerousal’
Ioannis Pavlidis, UH Eckhard Pfeiffer Professor of Computer Science, and his team of researchers took a look at why some drivers can stay cool behind the wheel while others keep getting more irked, a phenomenon they dubbed “accelerousal.” Read more …
County Proclamation for UH College of Nursing
Fort Bend County Judge K. P. George honored the College of Nursing with a proclamation to recognize the work and commitment of faculty, staff and students during the pandemic. Read more …
Bauer Awards Faculty Behavioral Research Assistance Grants
The C. T. Bauer College of Business awarded grants to faculty who conduct behavioral research through the 2021 Behavioral Research Assistance Grant (BRAG) Program. BRAG is designed to provide funding for direct expenses related to behavioral research. Read more …
Brgoch and Hariyani Receive 2021 Chemistry of Materials Lectureship and Best Paper Award
The Journal Chemistry of Materials and the American Chemical Society Division of Inorganic Chemistry recognized the Department of Chemistry’s Jakoah Brgoch, associate professor, and Shruti Hariyani, graduate student and research assistant, as the 2021 winners of the Chemistry of Materials Lectureship and Best Paper Award. Read more …
- Jaelynn Walls, a second year graduating senior majoring in art history with a minor in African American studies, has been named a 2021 Knight-Hennessy Scholar. Widely regarded as one of the most prestigious fellowships in the nation, Walls is the first UH student to receive the honor. Read more.
- Federal data shows women in the U.S. are more likely to die from childbirth or pregnancy-related causes than those in other developed countries. Dr. Kimberly Pilkinton, a Houston area OB/GYN and faculty at the UH College of Medicine, discusses the issues and developments related to maternal health in Texas. Read more.
- Department of English Professor Hosam Aboul-Ela has been unanimously selected as the inaugural appointee for the Arab-American Educational Foundation Dr. Burhan and Mrs. Misako Ajouz Endowed Professorship in Arab Studies. The honor is accompanied by an associated affiliated appointment in The Arab-American Educational Foundation Center for Arab Studies. Read more.
- In a letter to faculty and staff, President Renu Khator announced the timeline for employees to return to campus. President Khator asked that our transition planning focus on these two principles: core mission and commitment to our strategic plan. Read more.
- Annalisa Quaini, associate professor of mathematics, has been named a 2021-2022 William and Flora Hewlett Foundation Fellow at the Harvard Radcliffe Institute. Quaini is joining a group of 52 distinguished artists, scientists, scholars and practitioners. Read more.
- As a reminder, the Cougar Ride and Cougar Line shuttles are not offered during the summer. The last day of spring semester service is Friday, May 14 and resume Monday, Aug. 16. Read more.
- If you have inquiries regarding a positive case or exposure, contact the UH COVID-19 Case Support Helpdesk at: 832-84C-OVID (832-842-6843) Please visit the UH COVID-19 page for additional resources and guidance. Read more.
- The UH Libraries Special Collections, located on the second floor of the M.D. Anderson Library, is home to primary source materials of intellectual, cultural, and societal distinction, both historic and contemporary. A vast variety of rare and unique items are preserved and made available to the UH community and the general public for research and scholarship. Read more.
- The CATALYST Learning Program offers a wide variety of professional development courses for all UH staff. There are 10 courses available this summer, including five new options. Read more.
- UH Parking & Transportation outlines the reasoning and benefits of zone parking for faculty and staff. The most important takeaway being that faculty and staff will have a parking space within their assigned zone each and every day. Read more.