UH Population Health seeks nominations for a new outstanding publication award. Population health is an interdisciplinary field that examines interrelated factors and conditions that influence the health of populations, identifies systematic variations in their patterns of occurrence, and applies the resulting knowledge to influence policy and actions to improve the health and well-being of those populations. The purpose of this annual award from UH Population Health is to recognize the lead author of a peer reviewed journal article or peer-reviewed book chapter, judged as making a substantial contribution to the literature and/or practice of population health.
- Full-time tenure track and non-tenure track faculty at UH are eligible to apply for this award.
- Only publications in print the prior two years will be eligible for the upcoming award (for example, to be eligible for the 2023 award, article must have been published in 2021)
Nomination deadline: Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Nomination ProcessThe process for determining the individual(s) selected for the Outstanding Population Health Publication Award is as follows:
- The publication must have been published within the previous two years. Articles and book chapters published between November 1, 2020, and December 30, 2022, will be considered for the 2023 award.
- Submissions must be made to the chair of the Outstanding Publication Award committee. Papers and chapters must be submitted electronically in a PDF format.
- In any one year, authors may submit no more than two of their single- or co-authored papers.
- Nominations must be received by 5 pm US Central Time by Tuesday, February 28, 2023.
- Self-nominations are welcome.
- Submissions must include:
- The paper to be considered:
- For journal articles, one copy clearly indicating the journal in which it was published, issue number, and date.
- For chapters, one copy clearly indicating the title of the volume in which it was published; book editors; publishers; place of paper; ISBN number; date of publication
- Nominator: Name and contact information for person submitting the nomination.
- Complete citation of the author(s) and the paper nominated using APA format.
- Name and contact information of the first author.
- A statement about what, in your opinion, makes this paper or book chapter outstanding. The contribution that this paper has made, or you anticipate that it will make to the literature in the field of population health or its theoretical significance. The statement should be no longer than 250 words and submitted in a PDF format with your name and email in the header
- The paper to be considered:
Submissions will be evaluated by the selection committee and be scored according to rubric developed by the committee. The selection committee will consist of the UH Population Health publication award subcommittee members as well as other faculty content experts from the UHPH Internal Advisory Board committee. Criteria for evaluation of each publication include scientific rigor of the research study, clarity of interpretation of findings, applicability of findings to population health, and contribution to the field. Quality of peer-reviewed journal or the publisher will be considered.
Each paper/book chapter shall be judged on the following points:
- intellectual content (original, thought-provoking),
- practical value,
- theoretical value,
- presentation and style