STEP I: Prepping your HPAC File
- Please carefully review the HPAC eligibility requirements and review process before continuing.
- Download the HPAC Application Checklist.
- Attend the following (available between October and January, sign up required):
- HPAC Orientation
- Writing Center Personal Statement Orientation
- Writing Center Personal Statement Workshop
STEP II: Completing and Submitting HPAC Materials
Completed materials will be accepted starting on January 16, 2024 through February 23, 2024 at 11:59 pm. HPAC only has the capacity to review 150 students; once 150 completed application packets are received, HPAC will no longer accept additional packets (even if this happens before February 23). BMS graduate students have a submission deadline of April 15, 2024 at 11:59 pm. BMS students and JAMP students have guaranteed review spots outside of the 150 applicants, assuming all materials are submitted by appropriate deadlines. Students must attend the required orientations and workshops before they are eligible to submit packets.
To open your file, submit the following:
- HPAC Open File Request Form
- HPAC Application
- Personal Statement
- Students must attend Personal Statement Orientation and Personal Statement Workshops.
- Personal Statement should be as close to final draft as possible.
- Be sure to review the HPAC Application Instructions to ensure that your Personal Statement is properly formatted. Use the template provided in the link above.
- Activities & Experiences Worksheet- Medical or Dental
- Please select the correct worksheet for medical or dental!
- Use this worksheet to highlight your educational achievements, employment history, volunteer experience and extracurricular activities since your graduation from high school.
- Consider using the AAMC Core Compentencies to contexualize your activities and reflect on why each experience was important for your personal/professional development.
- Be sure to review the HPAC Application Instructions to ensure that your Activities & Experiences Worksheet is properly formatted.
- These four documents should be completed, signed, and submitted in the same email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. Students must use the pre-set naming conventions as detailed in the HPAC Application Instructions.
STEP III: Letters of Evaluation
In addition to the above materials, you must also have three letters of of evaluation to complete your HPAC file.
All letters of evaluation should be submitted by your letter-writers to email@example.com.
- Provide each of your letter-writers with the Letters of Evaluation Request and Waiver.
- Letters of Evaluation should be submitted electronically by the Letter Writer-not by you!
- HPAC and Health Professions Advising strongly recommend for your letters to be submitted by March 1, 2024. Submitting by this time ensures that your HPAC evaluation can be completed in a timely manner. BMS graduate students have a recommended letter deadline of May 6, 2024.
Recommended letters to submit:
- One letter should come from BCPM ("science") faculty. This is required by HPAC.
- One letter should come from a physician (recommended for medical applicants), a general dentist (required for dental applicants), science mentor, or another BCPM faculty member.
- Remaining letters should be from an evaluator who can speak highly of your qualifications for professional schools. Letters from additional faculty, healthcare professionals, job supervisors, volunteer coordinators are appropriate.
- Students in a graduate program should plan to include a letter from their graduate advisor.
STEP IV: HPAC Evaluation
Once all of your HPAC Application materials have been received (including at least 3 letters of evaluation), you will be assigned an HPAC evaluation date. You'll be notified of your evaluation date via email. HPAC evaluations are held on Fridays from late March through late May. (Early June sessions are reserved for BMS graduate students in the Biomedical Sciences MS program). Students are not present for their evaluations.
Following your evaluation, you will be provided feedback of your application materials as well as your individual HPAC consensus recommendation. The feedback and recommendation level will be sent via email within 10 business days.
STEP V: Submission of Letter Packet
Once you are ready to submit your medical or dental school primary application, you will need to:
- Select the committee letter option within the TMDSAS, AMCAS, AADSAS, and/or AACOMAS application.
- TMDSAS: "Health Professional Committee Packet"
- Release your TMDSAS application information to Health Professions Advising by indicating that you want to release your information to the health professions advisor (check yes), and then selecting University of Houston- Main Campus as the school.
- AMCAS: "Committee Letter"
- Must also send AMCAS Letter Writer Request form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- AACOMAS/AADSAS: List the Director of Health Professions Advising (Kialyn Yendell) as evaluator, with email address of email@example.com.
- TMDSAS: "Health Professional Committee Packet"
- If using Interfolio, send Interfolio requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions? Please contact the Health Professions Advising.