- UH MAPP 07.01.05 - Campus Carry Policy
- Appendix 1 - Exclusion Zone by Building Number and Name
- Exclusion Zone Application Form
An Exclusion Zone Application should must be submitted to establish, modify, or eliminate and Campus Carry Exclusion Zone. The Exclusion Zone Application form can be found in UH MAPP 07.01.05 as well as the link above. Completed forms or questions about the form or process should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
This policy was developed following months of discussion and deliberation to comply with the “Campus Carry” Law, which was passed in 2015. Campus community members, including students, faculty and staff, were invited to share their input prior to the policy development through several open forums, a campus-wide survey, and emailed comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Campus Carry Law allows individuals who are liscensed to carry concealed handguns to “carry a concealed handgun on or about the license holder’s person while the license holder is on the campus of an institution of higher education” and
- Authorizes the president to establish reasonable rules, regulations, or other provisions regarding the carrying of concealed handguns by license holders on campus;
- Limits authority such that the president or officer may not establish provisions that generally prohibit or have the effect of generally prohibiting license holders from carrying concealed handguns on the campus of the institution; and
- Allowed for broad input from students, faculty, and staff prior to its implementation on August 1, 2016.
The policy must also:
- Respect the unique nature of our campus which includes classrooms, dormitories, laboratories, athletic facilities, grade school classrooms, day care facilities, medical and psychological clinics, and multiple public auditoriums among many of our 157 buildings;
- Recognize the concerns of many, including our Faculty Senate which passed a resolution in opposition on December 21, 2015; and
- Recognize the need for appropriate storage so that license holders can safely store their firearms when necessary.
In 2021, the Texas Legislature enacted the Firearm Carry Act, House Bill (HB) 1927, which provides for Permitless Carry (sometimes referred to as “Constitutional Carry”) in certain places and under certain circumstances. HB 1927 excludes universities from the places where permitless carry is allowed. While on the University of Houston campus only a person with a valid License to Carry a Handgun (LTC) may carry weapons designated under Subchapter H of Chapter 411 of the Government Code; any other weapons are expressly prohibited.
Feedback or questinos may be directed to email@example.com
- Campus Carry Law - Senate Bill (SB) 11, 84th Texas Legislative Session, 2015
- Firearm Carry Act - House Bill (HB) 1927, 87th Texas Legislative Session, 2021
- Concealed Handgun Licensing
- Building Coordinator's Exclusion Zone Inspection Report Form