Summer Open Enrollment and Virtual Wellness and Benefits Fair Coming Soon
The University of Houston SUMMER BENEFITS ENROLLMENT PERIOD will be June 28, 2021 to July 10, 2021. This is your opportunity to review and make changes to your benefits for the upcoming plan year, as well as to attend this year’s Human Resources “Out of this World” Virtual Wellness & Benefits Fair.
During Summer Enrollment, you’ll be able to make the following changes to your benefits:
- Optional Term Life Insurance (EOI)
- Dependent Term Life Insurance (EOI)
- Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability (EOI)
- TexFlex flexible spending accounts (FSAs) – Health Care, Dependent Care and Limited FSAs
** Some benefit changes require Evidence of Insurability (EOI)
Important points to remember:
- ERS will start to mail Personal Benefits Enrollment Statements (PBES) on June 8, 2021.
- Log into your ERS account now to ensure that your personal information is accurate.
To log in, go to the ERS website and click the brown tab entitled My Account Login on any ERS page. If you do not remember the log in, please follow “the forgot my username” options.
- All Family Status Changes (FSCs) and Post Hire Changes (PHCs) between June 21st – August 31st will be processed by Human Resources.
- If you do not enroll or make changes during Summer Enrollment, you will be automatically enrolled in the plans you have in 2021.
NEW for Plan Year 2021-2022:
Effective September 1, 2021
- The TRS Employee Contribution rate will increase by 0.3% and the State Contribution rate will increase by 0.25%. The new retirement contribution rates are as follows:
- Employee: 8.0%
- State: 7.75%
- The HealthSelect of Texas and Consumer Directed HealthSelect health plans’ total annual in-network out-of-pocket maximums (medical and pharmacy combined) will increase to $7,000 per person per individual (up from $6,750) and $14,000 per family (up from $13,500) to align with the IRS maximums.
- The Group Benefit Plan will no longer offer HMOs. Central Texas and San Antonio-area HMO participants who are not enrolled in Medicare will be automatically moved to HealthSelect of Texas, administered by BCBSTX and have prescription drug coverage administered by OptumRx.
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) rules have changed and now require that all unused funds from Plan Year 2021 TexFlexSM health care, dependent care and limited-purpose FSAs be carried over to Plan Year 2022. There is no minimum or maximum carryover amount. Additionally, Payflex will now be the FSA administrator.
- The TexFlex Commuter Spending Account (CSA) program is being discontinued. However, participants can still use their WageWorks debit card for eligible parking and/or transit purchases through August 31, 2021. After December 31, 2021, ERS will refund to each participant any funds that remain in their CSA(s) as of January 1, 2022.
Please continue to visit the ERS website for any other updates during open enrollment.
During the Virtual Wellness & Benefits Fair, you will be able to learn about all the resources available to you as a UH employee.
Visit the HR “Out of this World” Virtual Wellness & Benefits Fair online, June 28 – July 10, 2021, to participate in a variety of online live sessions, workshops and webinars including:
- Medical Benefits (BCBSTX HealthSelect, Consumer-directed HealthSelect)
- Retirement Benefits (TRS, ERS)
- Supplemental Retirement Plans (AIG, Fidelity, TIAA, Voya, Texa$aver)
- Supplemental Insurance (AFLAC)
- Employee Assistance and Support (EAP, Bright Horizons Child and Elder Care)
- Wellness Opportunities (POWER UP Employee Wellness, Campus Recreation)
and much more!
Look for additional information in the weeks ahead!
Executive Director, Human Resources Operations