Defending and Graduating in Spring 2020?
Attend the binding and defense preparation session on Thursday, February 27th at 4:30 p.m. in the Honors College Commons.
Starting a Thesis in the Fall 2020 Semester?
You must submit your Verification of Eligibility form no later than Friday, May 1st and your prospectus, Prospectus Approval Form, and checklist by Monday, August 24th. Each of these forms can be found under Thesis Timeline and Forms.
- University Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 28-36 hours of Honors coursework, including the Human Situation Sequence, and has completed a thesis
- Collegiate Honors with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, student has completed 22 hours of Honors coursework or an Honors minor, and has completed a thesis
- Membership in the Honors College with Honors in Major – Member of the Honors College, and has completed a thesis
- Honors in Major – Student has completed a thesis
The Office of Undergraduate Research is responsible for overseeing undergraduate thesis work throughout the university and ensuring its quality. Regardless of affiliation with The Honors College, all University of Houston students who meet the following requirements are eligible to complete a Senior Honors Thesis:
- 3.25 cumulative GPA and a 3.5 GPA in major
- Approval from the student’s academic department and The Honors College
- You must have two future semesters remaining at the University of Houston to enroll
The total amount of work required for a thesis should be roughly equivalent to six hours of coursework (250-300 clock hours). You will register for a total of six credit hours (3399 and 4399) for your thesis. Generally, the hours will count toward your major degree requirements, but please verify this information with your academic advisor. You will receive an "IP" (in progress) grade for 3399, which will be changed to a letter grade when you have finished the thesis. Students who complete a Senior Honors Thesis will graduate with an Honors designation, which will be noted on the official transcript.
Collaborative efforts between The Honors College, the Office of Undergraduate Research, and each College at the University of Houston ensures students’ success in the Senior Honors Thesis program. Please visit the College-Specific Information for Senior Honors Thesis page for requirements, forms, and deadlines for each College.
If you wish to read past Senior Honors Theses, you may do so here.