News from CLASS
UH Alumnus has a 'Lot’ to Celebrate
Bryan Washington never strays far from his Houston roots. He grew up here, graduated from the University of Houston with a Bachelor of Arts in English and currently teaches in the English department at Rice University. Houston is in his bones, reflected in his debut short story collection of life in Houston, “Lot: Stories.”
Two CLASS Faculty Members Receive Moores Professorships
The University of Houston College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) is pleased to announce that Professor of English Margot Backus, Ph.D. and Professor of History Nancy Beck Young, Ph.D. have received Moores Professorships. The Moores Professors Program was established to honor full-time tenured faculty who have achieved the rank of full professor at the University of Houston and have made outstanding contributions in three key areas: research, scholarship, and/or creative activities; teaching, and service. Recipients of the award are conferred Moores Professor status for a period of five years.
Pair of Comparative Cultural Studies Professors Receive 2020 Ross M. Lence Awards for Teaching Excellence
The University of Houston College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) congratulates Associate Professor Elizabeth Farfán-Santos, Ph.D. and Instructional Associate Professor Luca Oliva, Ph.D. of the Department of Comparative Cultural Studies, who have received the 2020 Ross M. Lence Awards for Teaching Excellence. Each year, CLASS gives Lence Awards to one outstanding faculty member in the social sciences and another in the humanities. The awards honor the memory of beloved University of Houston Moores Professor Ross M. Lence, who taught in the Department of Political Science and the Honors College from 1971 to 2006.
CLASS 2020 Distinguished Faculty Award Recipients
The CLASS Distinguished Faculty Award was established in 2019 by Antonio D. Tillis, Ph.D., Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences and M.D. Anderson Professor in Hispanic Studies. This award honors senior faculty with internationally recognized bodies of scholarship or creative output. CLASS Distinguished Faculty Award recipients also exhibit the promise of continued excellence.
UH Student Selected as 2020 Frederick Douglass Global Fellow
Hana Mohamad, a University of Houston Honors College student and psychology major, has been selected as a 2020 Frederick Douglass Global Fellow – one of just 10 college students from across the country to receive the prestigious award. The fellowship makes study abroad opportunities accessible to students from Minority Serving Institutions and is awarded based on financial need, academic achievement and nominations from university leadership.
TRUE TOLL Pandemic Highlights Plight of Female Health Care Workers Torn Between Job and Home Duties
When it comes to waging war on the COVID-19 virus, those most likely to suit up are women.
UH Alumnus Wins Pulitzer Prize
Jericho Brown, a University of Houston alumnus who received his Ph.D. in creative writing and literature in 2007, has won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. The prize for poetry is given annually to a “distinguished volume of original verse by an American author,” according to the Pulitzer Prize Organization, which announced the 2020 winners on Monday (May 4). Brown was honored for his book The Tradition.
UH Survey Examines Challenges, Impact of COVID-19 on Harris County Residents
The COVID-19 pandemic has profoundly impacted people across Houston/Harris County, through its radical transformations of everyone’s work experience and major changes around food access, childcare, education, living arrangements, household dynamics, and relationships, as well as health and mental health. The University of Houston Institute for Research on Women, Gender & Sexuality is working to understand how residents are experiencing and dealing with these challenges through the COVID-19 Experience Survey.
CLASS Media Mentions
- KPRC Click2Houston Rheeda Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Fort Worth Star-Telegram Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Discover Magazine Rodica Damian, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Sputnik News
George Floyd's Case: US Police Officers Should be Punished Stricter Over Killings of Innocent - ProfGerald Horne, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
- Forbes Christiane Spitzmueller, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- CultureMap Carla Sharp, Ph.D., & John P. Vincent, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Houston Public Media Beth Simas, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- The Undefeated Billy Hawkins, Ph.D., Department of Health and Human Performance
- CNN Shayne Lee, Ph.D., Department of Sociology
- Click2Houston Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- UH Moment Department of English Creative Writing Program
- WIRED Candice Alfano, Ph.D., Director of Sleep Anxiety Center of Houston, Department of Psychology
- Galveston County Daily News Matthew Gallagher, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- Houston Chronicle Energy Fellow Ed Hirs and Lecturer, Department of Economics
- Texas Public Radio Jeronimo Cortina, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Houston Matters Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., & Nancy Sims, Lecturer, Department of Political Science
- In The Thick Elizabeth Farfán-Santos, Ph.D., Department of Comparative Cultural Studies
- KPRC-TV Steven Craig, Ph.D., Department of Economics
- Longview News-Journal Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- Houston Public Media Richard Murray, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- The Dallas Morning News Brandon Rottinghaus, Ph.D., Department of Political Science
- How Stuff Works John Mason Hart, Ph.D., Moores Professor of History, Department of History
- Houston Matters Sharon Hill, ASL Interpreting Program Director, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Houston Chronicle Department of English Creative Writing Program
- Latino Rebels Elizabeth Farfán-Santos, Ph.D., Department of Comparative Cultural Studies
- RealClear Markets Paul Gregory, Ph.D., Cullen Distinguished Professor of Economics, Department of Economics
- Houston Matters Rheeda Walker, Ph.D., Department of Psychology
- The Texas Tribune
Texas' front-line workers in the pandemic are predominantly women and people of color, analysis findsElizabeth Gregory, Ph.D., Director of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies & IRWGS