Engineering General Degree Information

Degree Programs and Required Curriculum

The College of Engineering offers the Bachelor of Science, Master of Science, and the Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Industrial, and Mechanical Engineering as well as Bachelor of Science in BioMedical, Computer, and Petroleum Engineering and minors in Mechanical, Petroleum, and Nano Engineering. The Master of (major field) Engineering is offered in Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Industrial, and Mechanical Engineering. The college also offers the Master of Science degree in aerospace engineering, computer and systems engineering, environmental engineering, materials engineering, and petroleum engineering. The Doctor of Philosophy degree is available in aerospace engineering, computer and systems engineering, environmental engineering, and materials engineering.

For more information on graduate programs, consult the office of the dean or the appropriate department. Refer to the Graduate and Professional Studies catalog for a listing of courses.

General Requirements for a Baccalaureate Degree

Students are required to meet the general requirements for a baccalaureate degree. See the Academic Regulations and Degree Requirements section of this catalog for details.

As part of these requirements, candidates for the bachelor's degree must complete the university core curriculum requirements:

Core Curriculum Requirements
Communication: English rhetoric and composition
ENGL 1303
and 1304. First Year Writing I and II

Mathematics/Reasoning: MATH 1431. Calculus I and MATH 1432. Calculus II

Natural Sciences
Visual & Performing Arts
Social & Behavioral Sciences
Writing in the Disciplines: ENGI 2304
U.S. History: HIST 1377 and 1378
American Government: POLS 1336 and 1337

Bachelor of Science


To receive the Bachelor of Science degree, students must complete the required curriculum shown in this catalog. They must also achieve an average GPA of 2.00 or higher in all courses taken at the University of Houston and in their major courses. Students may not attempt a required engineering course more than two times. Students may not attempt a required mathematics or science course more than three times. Attempt is defined as formal enrollment (registration) that results in a student receiving a letter grade, including grades of U, W, and I. Students who violate the number of attempts allowed will be required to change their major.

Students must also complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of engineering courses in residence at the University of Houston. Any student with a major in the College of Engineering must be pursuing an engineering degree. Failure to do so will result in an enrollment stop until a change of major is effected.

Students are responsible for knowing and meeting all prerequisites prior to enrollment. Nonmajors and unmet prerequisites are sufficient grounds for being dropped from a course without refund.

Eligibility for Professional Engineers License

Before or after completing the baccalaureate program, students are eligible to apply for certification as an engineer-in-training and, after appropriate experience and examinations, licensing as a professional engineer.

Engineering Major Grade Point Average Probation/Suspension Policy

The Cullen College of Engineering maintains a probation/suspension system to monitor students’ progress toward their undergraduate degrees. Students must maintain a 2.25 grade point average in their major coursework to continue in the major. After students have attempted six hours in major, specified by each department, they will be placed on engineering probation if their cumulative major average is below 2.25. A grade point average of 2.25 or higher in major courses must be maintained each semester that a student takes major courses while on probation. Once a student’s major grade point average rises to 2.25 or higher, the student is removed from probationary status. If a student’s semester grade point average falls below 2.25 in major coursework while on engineering probation, the student is placed on engineering suspension.

While on suspension, a student can take non-engineering courses, but is not allowed to take engineering courses for one semester following the imposition of the suspension. Readmission from engineering suspension requires the student to submit a petition for readmission, along with an accompanying Letter of Readiness that must contain a plan for improved performance and a College of Engineering General Contract with course plan approved by the student's advisor. Readmission is not guaranteed, and must be approved by the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs.

Following a second engineering suspension, a student will not be readmitted to the Cullen College of Engineering.

Accelerated B.S./Graduate Degree Program in Engineering

The accelerated B.S./graduate degree program is open to qualified undergraduate engineering students desiring to continue their education at the graduate level immediately upon completion of the B.S. degree. Accepted students take up to six graduate credit hours that are applied to both the bachelor’s and graduate degrees. Students may pursue either thesis or nonthesis Master’s degree options or the Ph.D. degree. The B.S. degree will be conferred upon completion of the undergraduate curriculum requirements with appropriate undergraduate/graduate course substitutions. The graduate degree shall be awarded based upon existing requirements for the graduate degree.

Catalog Publish Date: August 22, 2012
This Page Last Updated: June 21, 2012