To be eligible to compete for the Tier One Scholarship, graduating high school seniors must:
- meet the minimum standardized test score in one of the following ways*
- a minimum score of 1300 on the old SAT (Critical Reading + Math; prior to March 2016), OR
- a minimum score of 1360 on the new SAT (Evidence-Based Reading & Writing + Math), OR
- a minimum composite score of 29 on the ACT
- be ranked in the top 10 percent of their class,**
- be admitted to the University of Houston in the fall semester immediately following their high school graduation.
*For more information on how the University is using the new SAT, see the webpage on admissions criteria.
**Students should consult the University Funded Scholarships webpage for instructions for high schools that do not rank students or if the class rank is not listed on the official transcript.
Upon admission to the University of Houston, students who meet these initial eligibility requirements will receive a personal letter of invitation from the University explaining all of the steps necessary to compete for the Tier One Scholarship.
To be eligible for the Tier One Scholarship, the UH admissions application must be completed as soon as possible but preferably no later than November 15. High-achieving students are encouraged to submit their application for admissions as soon as possible for consideration of other merit-based scholarships such as the Academic Excellence Scholarship.