STAC co Dorset
NOTA BENE - These case names are approximate and very likely to be changed.
B Bill of Complaint Dr Demurrer A Answer Rn Replication Rr Rejoinder C Commission I Interrogatories D Deposition
Abbott v Buckler
- STAC 5/A35/26 - B A - 42 Eliz - Henry Abbott v John Buckler, John Gollop
- Henry Abbott of Melburie Samford, Dorset. Actions at Common Law re trespass at Melburie Osmond, Dorset.(dk)
- see also STAC Abbott
Amyce v Francis
- STAC 5/A47/29 - B A - 30 Eliz - Devon - Joseph Amyce v Thomas Francis
- Copyhold tenement at Wynfrith Newboroughe, Dorset. Thomas Francis' bill at Court of Requests was dismissed as Joseph Amyce gained possession at common law. Thomas Francis was allowed by court to continue possession until feast of St Michael in order to harvest his crops & hay, but he breached the Court of Requests order & committed perjury in the subsequent investigation.(dk)
- STAC 5/A38/7 - I D - 30 Eliz - Devon - Joseph Amyce v Thomas Francis
- see also STAC Amyce
Anstye v Anstye
- STAC 5/A52/1 - B - 41 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Anstie v Richard Anstie, Raffe Anstie
- In re Land in Mapperton co Dorset.
- STAC 5/A34/15 - B A I D - Dorset - Thomas Anstye v Richard Anstye, Ralfe Anstye
- STAC 5/A30/28 - Rn - 43 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Anstye v Richard Anstye, Ralfe Anstye
- see also STAC Anstey
Arundell v Ashley
- STAC 5/A47/26 - B A - 13 Eliz - Devon - Margaret Lady Arundell v Sir Henry Ashley, William Rosse, Hugh Fawkenor et al
- Assault on workmen coppicing & hedging at two coppices in Chittred, parish of ?More Buchell?, Dorset. Deft Sir Henry Ashlie of St Giles Wymborne, Dorset.(dk)
- STAC 5/A17/15 - I D - 13 Eliz - Devon - Dame Margaret Arundell v William Fosse, Hugh Fawkner
- see also STAC Arundell
Ashley v Bevell
- STAC 5/A28/35 - B A Rn - 12 Eliz - Dorset - Sir Henry Ashley v William Bevell, Richard Tomlinson, Roger Lovell et al
- STAC 5/A47/21 - I D - 13 Eliz - Dorset - Sir Henry Asheley v William Bevell et al
- see also STAC Ashley
Auden v Scott
- STAC 5/A4/10 - B A Rn - 25 Eliz - Dorset - William Aden v Walter Scott, Walter Gray
- William Aden of the town of Dorchester co Dorset draper. Forgery.
- STAC 5/A50/25 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - William Alden v Walter Scot et al
- see also STAC Auden
Bradstock v Barnes
- STAC 5/B41/38 - B A C D - 30 Eliz - Dorset - William Bredstocke v William Barnes, Thomas Scovill, Henry Butler et al
- William Bredstocke of Wichampton, Dorset. Manor of Wichampton.(dk)
- STAC 5/B82/27 - I D - 30 Eliz - Dorset - William Bradstock v Richard Sconel, John Dean, William Barnes
- STAC 5/B53/28 - I D - 31 Eliz - Dorset - William Bradstock v William Barnes, Richard Scovel
- STAC 5/B62/1 - I D - 31 Eliz - Dorset - William Bradstocke v William Barnes
- STAC 5/B38/22 - I D - 31 Eliz - Dorset - William Bradstock v William Barnes, Richard Scovell et al
- STAC 5/B46/16 - I D - 30 Eliz - Dorset - William Bradstocke v Henry Butler, William Wear, John Parker et al
- STAC 5/B111/29 - Rr - - Dorset - William Bradstock v William Barnes, Thomas Scovell et al
- STAC 7/18/53 - - - Dorset - William Bradstocke v William Barnes et al
- see also STAC Bradstock
Chepman v Chepman
- STAC 5/C45/22 - I D - 20 Eliz - Dorset - Tomasin Chepman v John Chepman, Richard Chepman, Thomas Chepman, William Chepman
- STAC 5/C81/27 - B - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Thomazyn Chepman v John Chepman, Thomas Chepman, John Walsh et al
- STAC 5/C47/34 - A Dr Rn Rr - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Thomasyn Chepman v John Chepman, Richard Chepman, John Walshe et al
- STAC 5/C41/36 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Thomasyn Chepman v John Chepman
- STAC 5/C69/15 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Thomasyn Chepman v John Chepman et al
- Thomasyn Chepman, widow v. John Chepman, clarke et al. Depositions of Laurence Chepman of Blanford, Dorset, son of William Chepman; Wm Chepman of Ockford, Dorset & Anthony Ettrick of ?Wymborne?, Dorset. (dk)
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 43v. Revivor. The court ordered Mr Attorney to prosecute a cause compounded for the Queen the same proofs. Chepman, widow, plaintiff; Chepman et al, defendants: forgery and perjury which was compounded by the parties, and the court ordered Mr Attorney to prosecute the cause on Her Majesty’s behalf notwithstanding the composition. (kk)
- see also STAC Chepman
Chepman v Reves
- STAC 5/C37/35 - C I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Chepman v John Chepman et al
- STAC 5/C1/32 - B - 27 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Chepman v John Reves, Thomas Eyeres, Thomason Chepman, Edward Man, John Vallovan, John Saunders
- Thomas Chepman of Langton in Dorset, yeoman.
- see also STAC Chepman
Chettle v Mitchell
- STAC 5/C80/12 - B - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettle v John Mitchell, Joseph Bradstock
- John Chettle of St Mary Blandford, Dorset v John Mitchell, Joseph Bradstock, John Michell, William Gold, Richard Harris.(dk)
- STAC 5/C36/30 - A - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettle v Joseph Bradstock
- STAC 7/19/26 - - - Dorset - John Chettle v Joseph Bredstock et al
- STAC 5/C1/20 - A - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettell gent v John Mitchell gent, William Gowlde, Richard Harrys clerk et al
- STAC 5/C22/18 - C I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettell v John Mychell, Joseph Brodstock, William Golde et al
- STAC 5/C11/3 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettell v John Mychell, Jos Bredstock et al
- STAC 5/C22/5 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettle v John Michell et al
- Dorset. Interrs refer to proceedings at a spiritual court in the church of Blandforde Forum, Dorset.(dk)
- STAC 5/C23/11 - B A D - 32 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettle v Joseph Bradstocke, John Michell, John Marrowe et al
- STAC 5/C56/31 - I - 32 Eliz - Dorset - John Chettle v John Marrow, Lawrence Vaughan
- see also STAC Chettle
Childe v Childe
- STAC 5/C21/7 - B - 34 Eliz - Dorset - John Childe, William Childe v Henry Childe, Humphrey Saudners et al
- STAC 5/C68/31 - Dr - 33 Eliz - Dorset - John Childe v Henry Childe et al
- STAC 5/C31/27 - I D - 33 Eliz - Dorset - John Childe v Henry Childe
- STAC 5/C6/21 - B - 34 Eliz - Dorset - John Chylde, William Chylde v Henry Chylde, Jane Meade, Robert Bingham, John Conduit
- William Childe of Newton, parish of Helton, Dorset, son of John Childe late of the same place decd. Title to Hamlet of Newton, originally held by William Childe, complts grandfather.(dk)
- see also STAC Child
Chubb v Adyn
- STAC 5/C3/1 - B A - 31 Eliz - Dorset - Matthew Chubb v William Adyn et uxor William Adyn Jr, John James, Giles Long, William Stephens, Nicholas Brappe
- Matthew Chubb, one of the bailiffs of Dorchester, Dorset.
- see also STAC Chubb
Collins v Richards
- STAC 5/C2/37 - B - 19 Eliz - Dorset - William Collins v William Richards alias Thetcher, William Horfford, Richard Richards, Robert Horford et al
- William Collins of Netherbury in your county of Dorset, yeoman. Manor of Slape (inheritance of copyhold, a forged will).
- see also STAC Collins
Constantine v Collier
- STAC 5/C65/34 - B A - 27 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantine v Henry Collier, John Collier, Henry Harward
- STAC 5/C3/7 - A - 27 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v Richard Collier et al
- STAC 5/C8/2 - I Dn - 27 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantine v Henry Collyer and C8/9
- Interrogatory: Inprimis do you know or have you heard that John Collier made unto the plaintiff a release of his right title and interest of & in certain landes called Priors alias Talbotes lands in the county of Dorsett, And whether do you know or have heard that the said John Collier pretended to be under age at the sealing of the said release, and that the plaintiff redeliverd the said release unto the said Collier and what is your knowledge concerning this article.
- STAC 5/C8/9 - I D - 27 Eliz - Dorset - William Constanlyne v John Collyer, Thomas Harwood, Thomas Harwood
- STAC 5/C81/7 - I - Dorset - William Constantyne v Richard Colliar, John Colliar, Henry Harware et al
- STAC 5/C12/10 - D - 27 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantine v Henry Collier
- STAC 7/19/41 - - - Dorset - William Connstantine v Henry Colliar
- see also STAC Constantine
Constantine v Trenchard
- STAC 5/C67/20 - B - - Dorset - William Constantine v Henry Trencharde
- STAC 5/C66/31 - B - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v Henry Trenchard, George Trenchard, James Bargles
- STAC 5/C24/17 - B A Rr - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v Henry Trenchard
- STAC 5/C1/15 - I D - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v James Varglass et al
- Interrogatory: Do you know Henry Trenchard of Lichett Matravers esquire George his son and John Powes his servant and John Constantine gent of Mirle Dorset.
- STAC 5/C15/16 - B A C I D - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantine v Henry Trencherd, George Trencherd, John Peirce et al
- STAC 5/C80/8 - Rn - - Dorset - William Constantyne v John Pers, John Powes
- STAC 5/C41/29 - I D - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v George Trencharde, Henry Trencharde
- STAC 5/C27/37 - I D - 23 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v Henry Trencherd
- STAC 5/C59/35 - A Rn - 22 Eliz - Dorset - William Constantyne v Henry Trenchard, George Trenchard
- STAC 5/C69/3 - Rr - - Dorset - William Constantyne v George Trenchard et al
- see also STAC Constantine
Croome v Myche
- STAC 5/C55/1 - B A Rn Rr C I D - 27 Eliz - Dorset - John Croome v William Meech, Thomas Meech, John Bartlett et al
- STAC 5/C8/3 - I Dn - 27 Eliz - Dorset - John Crome v William Myche
- Evidence given at Dorchester Assizes on a contrac t for the sale of 23 sheep
- STAC 5/C30/34 - I D - 27 Eliz - Dorset - John Crome v William Miche et al
- see also STAC Croome
Duckenfield v Golde
- STAC 5/D14/32 - B A Rn - 10 Eliz - Dorset - Ralph Duckenfield et uxor v William Golde William Alyn et al
- Raphe Dukkinfilde of Exeter & Elinor his wife, late wife of Thomas Golde. Breaking and entering of house of the said Elinor Golde at Northover, Dorset & theft of goods.(dk)
- STAC 5/D39/2 - I D - 10 Eliz - Dorset - Raulph Duckenfold et uxor v William Golde, William Alen, Thomas Baker et al
- see also STAC Duckenfield
Emens v Moreton
- STAC 5/E6/33 - B - 36 Eliz - Dorset - John Emens v George Moreton
- Theft of £500 in Folke Church, Dorset.(dk)
- see also STAC Emens
Everett v Raimont
- STAC 5/E1/29 - B - 18 Eliz - Dorset - Richard Everett v Raimont, John Grynter, George Grynter, Philip Follet, William Wakely alias Bockel
- see also STAC Everett
Fanstone v Gillett
- STAC 5/F1/5 - B A - Hil 39 Eliz - Dorset Somerset - Edmund Fanstone, Rafe Willes v Gyles Gyllet, William Collyns, Laurence Frye, Jane Frye, Richard Gyllet, Joan Gyllett, William Powell alias Bed, John Wiseman, John Langdon
- Transcribed STAC 5/F1/5
- STAC 5/F28/14 - I D - 39 Eliz - Dorset Somerset - Edmond Fanston, Ralph Willes v Gyles Gyllett, Lawrence Frye et al
- see also STAC Fanstone
Frampton v Frampton
- STAC 5/F22/20 - I D - 40 Eliz - Dorset - William Frampton v John Wobridge et al
- STAC 5/F21/19 - Rn - 40 Eliz - Dorset - William Frampton v Charles Frampton, Simon Langford et al
- STAC 5/F18/23 - I - - Dorset - William Frampton v Charles Frampton, William Stubbs, Henry Shudd et al
- STAC 5/F2/6 - B A C I D - 39 Eliz - Dorset - William Frampton v Charles Frampton, John Jerrard, John Wolridge, William Stubbs et al
- William Frampton of Morton, Dorset.
- STAC 5/F8/27 - D - 39 Eliz - Dorset - William Frampton v Holman, Marten
- see also STAC Frampton
Hatton v Haviland
- STAC 5/H53/24 - B A Rn Rr - 23 Eliz - Dorset - Sir Christopher Hatton v John Haveland, Matthew Harvey, et al
- Intending the ruin and decay of Corfe castle, terrorized the Queen’s peaceful subjects and riotously killed sixteen of Hatton’s red deer
- STAC 5/H49/38 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Sir Christopher Hatton v William King
- STAC 5/H13/22 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Sir Christopher Hatton v John Havytome, John Elvedall et al
- see also STAC Hatton
Hebbes v Hebbes
- STAC 5/H59/12 - A - 19 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Hebbes v William Hebbes, Matthew Colchester et al
- STAC 5/H10/17 - I D - 19 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Hebbes v Matthew Colchester, William Antony
- STAC 5/H24/30 - I D - 20 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Hebbes v Peter Goodfellowe, William Payne et al
- STAC 5/H23/35 - I D - 20 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Hebbes v William Hebbes, John Hebbes et al
- STAC 5/H21/26 - Rn - 29 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Hebbes v William Hebbes, John Hebbes, William Payne et al
- STAC 7/3/3 - - - Dorset -Thomas Hebbes v William Hebbes, Matthew Colchester, Austin Burgolt, Roger Eyles; alias Ellys et al
- TNA Notes: Portisham etc: Perjury in the prerogative court of Canterbury as the the will of Owen Hebbes, and forcible entry and assault at Corton.
- see also STAC Hebbes
Holliday v Palmer
- STAC 5/H35/18 - B - 43 Eliz - Dorset - George Hollidaie, Anne Hollidaie (uxor sua) v Palmer
- George Hollidaie of Waymouth & Welcombe Regis, Dorset, cutler & Anne his wife, daughter & sole administratrix of William Hye of Dorchester. Fraud concerning the administration of the estate of William Hye who died while taking the cure at Bath. deft John Palmer of Dorchester, innholder.(dk)
- STAC 5/H1/5 - B A C I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - George Hollyday et uxor v John Palmer
- STAC 5/H25/5 - C I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - George Hollyday et uxor v John Palmer
- see also STAC Holliday
Hurd v Fort and Gundry
- STAC 5/H78/7 - C I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Christopher Hurd v Henry Fort, John Gundry
- STAC 5/H52/3 - Rn - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Christopher Harde v John Gundry, Roger Forte
- STAC 5/H53/9 - B A - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Christopher Hurd v John Sundrey, Henry Forte
- STAC 5/H62/16 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Christopher Hurde v John Gundry
- STAC 5/H44/14 - C I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Christopher Hurde v Henry Forte
- see also STAC Hurd
Jacob v Gray
- STAC 5/J3/9 - I D - 39 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Jacobs, Walter Jacobs v Christopher Gray, William Hutton, William Peirs et al
- Deposition of Christopher Graie of Kingston in the county of Dorset.
- STAC 5/J7/9 - B A C I D - 39 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Jacob, Walter Jacob v Christopher Graye, William Hutton et al
- see also STAC Jacob
Keate v Jessop and Keate
- STAC 5/K1/15 - B A C - Mich 43/44 Eliz - Dorset - William Keate v Thomas Jessopp, Walter Grove, Thomas Keate, Henry Harbin et al
- Lease of a farm in Chiselbourne [Cheselbourne] Dorset.
- STAC 5/K8/37 - I D - 43 Eliz - Dorset - William Keate v Reginold Keate, Mary Keate et al
- see also STAC Keate
Kitson v Yattman
- STAC 5/K4/28 - B A C I D - 8 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Kitson, John Pister v Robert Yatteman et al
- Depositions taken at Sherbourne Dorset. In re land parcell of the farme of Nashe at Lysse Court at Burton Lysse in the parish of Marnehill Dorset.
- see also STAC Kitson
Luttrell v Daccombe
- STAC 5/L46/40 - B A Rn - Dorset - Dame Margaret Luttrell v John Dackombe, Sir John Rogers
- Dame Margaret Luttrell, late wife of Sir Andrew Luttrell. Manor of Brianston, Dorset.(dk)
- STAC 5/L32/18 - I D - 2 Eliz - Dorset - Margaret Lady Lutterell v Sir John Rogers
- see also STAC Luttrell
Meere v Dolbery
- STAC 5/M11/25 - B A - 33 Eliz - Dorset - Alice Meere v Robert Dolberye, John Wynyff
- STAC 5/M28/18 - I D - 34 Eliz - Dorset - Alice Meer v Robert Dolberne et al
- STAC 7/4/22 - - - Dorset - Alice Meer v John Wynnyffe
- TNA Note: Forgery of a fine in the name of plaintiff's late husband.
- see Whetcomb v Meyr and AG v Meere infra
- see also STAC Meere
Melcombe Regis Corporation v Newman and Samways
- STAC 5/M59/32 - B A Rn Rr - - Dorset - Mayor Bayliffs Burgesses and Inhabitants of Melcombe Regis v Henry Newman, John Raynolds, Henry Randall et al
- STAC 5/M30/14 - B A Rn Rr - 4 Eliz - Dorset - Inhabitants of Melcombe v Thomas Samwayes, Henry Newman et al
- STAC 5/M7/26 - I D - 2 Eliz - Dorset - The Mayor Bayliffs Burgesses an Inhabitants of Melcomb Regis v The Bayliffs & Inhabitants of the Burrough of Weymouth
- see also STAC Melcombe Regis
Miller v Wightman and Jenkins
- STAC 5/M3/27 - B A Rn Rr - 29 Eliz - Dorset - John Miller v William Wightman, William Jenkins
- STAC 5/M1/14 - I D - 29 Eliz - Dorset - John Miller v William Jenkyns
- Interrogatories to be ministered to William Jenkins deft at the suit of John Miller gent Complt. . . . the ferms of Druce, little Pindell, Chinehill, a certen wood called Ilsenbery Wood, the parsonage of Piddle town, and the stock of sheep, going and depasturing there. Co Dorset. Deposition of William Jenkyns of Mynster Lovell, yeoman.
- see also STAC Miller
Napper v Harding
- STAC 5/N1/33 - B A Rn - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Napper v William Hardyng et al
- Robert Napper of Middle Temple London.
- STAC 5/N8/34 - I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Napper v William Handinge
- STAC 5/N10/21 - C I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Napper v William Hurding
- see also STAC Napper
Napper v South
- STAC 5/N13/1 - B A I - 44 Eliz - Dorset - William Napper, Elizabeth Jesopp v Thomas South, Jeffry Westlye et al
- STAC 5/N14/17 - D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - William Napper, Elizabeth Jesopp v Jefferie Westlie
- STAC 5/N9/20 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - William Napper, Elizabeth Jesopp v William Holmer et al
- STAC 5/N7/10 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - William Napper, Elizabeth Jesopp v Thomas Webbe et al
- Interrs refer to whether or not Thomas Gawen late of Honybrocke, Dorset made a will.(dk)
- STAC 5/N3/18 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - William Napper, Elizabeth Jesop v Robert Chappells
- see also STAC Napper
Newman v Lavender
- STAC 5/N1/9 - B A Rn - 18 Eliz - Dorset - John Norman v James Lavender, Edward Cole, John Lavender, John Cole, Roger Young et al
- STAC 5/N9/16 - I D - 19 Eliz - Dorset - John Newman v James Lavender, Edward Cole, John Collier et al
- STAC 5/N13/32 - C I D - 22 Eliz - Dorset - John Newman v James Lavender et al
- TNA E159/373 Michaelmas Term, 19-20 Elizabeth. Fine paid From William Webb, armiger, sheriff of Dorset, for not producing the defendants in the case John Newman v. James Lavender, Edward Coale, Edward Lavender, and John Lavender: £5.
- see also STAC Newman
Bishop of Salisbury v Stourton
- STAC 5/S45/16 - A Rn Rr - - Dorset - John Bishop of Sarum v Robert Napper, Thomas Stourton et al
- STAC 5/S25/18 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - John Bishop of Sarum v Leonard Stourton et al
- STAC 5/S71/22 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - John Bishop of Sarum v Ellice Gaylard, Robert Gerrard
- STAC 5/S12/31 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - Bishop of Sarum v Thomas Stourton
- Lands in manors of Uprezne & Melberie Osmonnde, Dorset.(dk)
- STAC 5/S10/35 - I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - John Sarum, Episcopus Sarum v Thomas Stourton, Elles Gaylard et al
- STAC 5/S34/28 - B A Dr - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Bishop of Sarum v Robert Napper, Robert Gerrard et al
- STAC 7/29/3 - - - Dorset - Bishop of Salisbury v Robert Napper et al
- STAC 5/S56/35 - Dorset - I D - 26 Eliz - John Bishop of Sarum v George Robinson, Robert Napper et al
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 41r. Forged deed damned yet the forgeries accused thereof acquitted. The Bishop of Salisbury, plaintiff; Sturtone et al: for forgery of a deed of feoffment which was adjudged by the court to be a forged deed, but for that there was no direct proof who forged it nor whether it were since the statute of 5 Elizabeth or before forged and for that the statute is very penal therefore they acquitted the defendant and only damned the deed. Michaelmas 27 Elizabeth (kk)
- see also STAC Sarum
Savage v Dawe
- STAC 5/S17/29 - B C I D - 26 Eliz - Dorset - William Savage v George Dawe, Thomas Meader et al
- William Savage of Bloxworthe, Dorset. Intercommoning & bounds of manors of Bloxworth & Beere Regis.(dk)
- see also STAC Savage
Somaster v Smyth
- STAC 5/S81/12 - B A Rn Rr C I D - 32 Eliz - Dorset - George Somaster v Thomas Bulkley, Angell Smyth et al
- STAC 5/S82/36 - A I D - 32 Eliz - Dorset - George Somaster v John Pitt, Angell Smytheson et al
- STAC 7/15/16 - - - Dorset - George Somaster v John Brown, Angell Smyth et al
- TNA Note: Milton: Misconduct as to an execution for debt.
- STAC 5/S7/32 - I D - 32 Eliz - Dorset - George Somaster v Robert Gilbert
- STAC 5/S49/9 - I D - 34 Eliz - Dorset - George Somaster v John Barkley et al
- see also STAC Somaster
Somerfeild v Belman
- STAC 5/S39/38 - B A Rn C I D - 22 Eliz - Dorset - John Somerfeilde v John Coward, John Belman et al
- STAC 5/S17/30 - I D - 23 Eliz - Dorset - Gyles Somerfielde v John Belman
- Interrs refer to the breaking open of a chest in Gillingham Church and tampering with court rolls, which subsequently produced in Exchequer. Deponent from Gyllingham, Dorset
- STAC 5/S70/36 - C I D - 23 Eliz - Dorset - Gyles Somerfeild v John Belman, John Coward
- see also STAC Somerfield
Symes v Joliffe
- STAC 5/S64/18 - B A C I D - 37 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Symes alias Forde et al v Christian Jolliffe alias Buck, Thomas Whittinge
- Thomas Symes als Forde, Henry Symes als Forde & Willm Symes als Forde of [blank], Dorset. Tenement & 60 acres in East Pennard, Somerset.(dk)
- STAC 5/S81/21 - Rn - 37 Eliz - Dorset - Henry Symes alias Ford, Thomas Symes alias Ford v Christian Jolliffe alias Buck
- see also STAC Symes
Tregonwell v Bingham
- STAC 7/15/53 - - - Dorset - John Tregonewell v George Byngham et al
- TNA Note: Milton: Destruction of a barn.
- see also STAC Tregonwell
Trivett v Harding
- STAC 5/T28/17 - B A C I D - 43 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Trivett v Ralfe Harding, Edmond Trivett et al
- STAC 5/T7/32 - I D - 43 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Trevett v Ralph Hardinge, Robert Wallis et al
- STAC 5/T18/30 - Rn - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Trevett v Ralph Harding, Robert Wallis et al
- STAC 5/T24/40 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Trevett v Ralph Hardyng
- William Hayne, a ‘poore man’ and ‘day labourer’ from Dorset who may or may not have been qualified to depose about a disputed rack of hay, was told by Ralph Harding, a gentleman who regularly employed him, that ‘yf he would not depose . . . [he] woulde put him in the shyre courte’ for a relatively modest debt of 12d. Hayne avoid testifying by stalling for time; when he went to Harding’s house to tell him once again that he did not remember anything about the hay and could not testify, Harding told him to be gone ‘like a knave as he was’, adding that he had already ‘gotten one to serve his turne’ at the Dorchester assizes. No information survives about this alternate witness’s occupational status or employment. - Hillary Taylor, The price of the poor’s words: social relations and the economics of deposing for one’s ‘betters’ in early modern England., Economic History Review (2018) https://doi.org/10.1111/ehr.12773 - STAC 5/T7/32, complainant’s interrogatories.
- see also STAC Trivett
Tucker v Anthony
- STAC 7/7/18 - - - Dorset - Christiana Tucker, William Tucker, Richard Woodwall, and Matthew Woodwall v William Anthonye, Marian Anthonye et al
- TNA Note: Sutton Poyntz: Assault, illegal arrest, and seizure of wheat. William Anthonye, constable of Sutton Poyntz.
- see also STAC Tucker
Whetcomb v Meyr
- STAC 5/W30/10 - B A Rn I D - 25 Eliz - Dorset - John Whetcomb v John Meyr
- see Meere v Dolberey supra and AG v Meere infra
- see also STAC Whetcomb
Windsor v Vivian
- STAC 5/W3/19 - B - 19 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndsor v Thomas Vyvyan alias Hogyard, William Colins, John Vyne et al
- That whereas the abbess of the late dissolved monastery of Shafton co Dorset . . . was lawfully seased . . . manor of Choselbourne co Dorset.
- STAC 5/W19/4 - A - 19 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndsor v Thomas Vyvyan alias Hoggard, William Collyns et al
- STAC 5/W39/34 - I D - 21 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndesor v Thomas Hoggard alias Vivyan, William Collyns et al
- STAC 5/W12/6 - I D - 20 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndsore v Thomas Vivyan alias Hoggard, William Collins et al
- STAC 5/W10/17 - C I D - 20 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndsor v Thomas Vyvian et al
- STAC 5/W2/10 - Rn - Hil 20 Eliz - Dorset - William Wyndsore v Thomas Vivian alias Hoggarde, William Collins, John Vyne, Richard Keat
- see also STAC Windsor
Worthie v Dodington
- STAC 5/W1/28 - B A - Hil 39 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Worthie v John Dodington et uxor, Ralph Crocker, Alexander Myles, James Snell, Richard Mays, Thomas Whyrawe, [blank] Wood, [blank] Brian
- STAC 5/W67/20 - I D - 39 Eliz - Dorset - Thomas Worthie v John Dodington, Ralph Crocker et al
- Deposition of deft John Dodington of Corfe Castle, Dorset. Interrs refer to the arrest of the complt and being held at the house of this deft.(dk)
- see also STAC Worthy
Zinzam v Weeks
- STAC 5/Z1/1 - B A I D - 34 Eliz - Dorset - Robert Zinzam alias Alexander v Nicholas Weekes, Nicholas H . . ., Walter Reves, Robert [Udbert], Paskye Wylkyns, John Blackmore the elder, Stephen Blackmore, John Blackmore the younger, [blank] Blackmore, John Penny
- see also STAC Zinzam
Zouch v Leversage
- STAC 5/Z1/13 - B A Rn - 33 Eliz - Dorset - Sir John Zouche v Arthur Leversage et al
- Sir John Zouch of Anstey co Wilts knight, warden or Lieutenant of HM forest of Gillingham co Dorset
- STAC 5/Z1/12 - I D - 24 Eliz - Dorset - Sir John Zouch v Arthur Leversage, Nicholas Prater, Richard Frye
- Forest of Gillingham
- see also STAC Zouch
Almoner v Wade
- STAC 5/A32/21 - B - 42 Eliz - Dorset - Almoner v Henry Wade
- STAC 5/A29/3 - A - 42 Eliz - Dorset - Almoner v Henry Wade
- STAC 5/A10/22 - I D - 42 Eliz - Dorset - Almoner v Henry Wade
- see also STAC Wade
AG v Culliford
- STAC 5/A56/4 - B A - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v William Culliford et al
- STAC 5/A35/34 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v William Cullyford
- Deposition of William Cullinforde, one of the defts, of Quarre in the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset.(dk)
- see also STAC Cullyford
AG v Deane
- STAC 7/10/9 - - - Dorset, Hampshire - AG v William Deane, Robert Deane, George Kirley, Nicholas Emberley et al
- TNA Note: Canford and Christchurch: Burning heather and consequent damage.
- see also STAC Deane
AG v Gundrey or Gawdy
- STAC 5/A9/14 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Gundreye, Edward Barker
- STAC 7/10/15 - - - Dorset - AG (Edward Coke) v John Gundrey
- TNA Note: Conniving at escape of persons against whom writs had been issued, and extortion as sheriff
- STAC 5/A2/17 - B A - 44 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Gaudrey, Edward Barter
AG v Holnall or Hotnall
- STAC 5/A3/30 - B - - Dorset - AG v William Holnall, Richard Egerdon et al
- Transcription STAC 5/A3/30
- Dorchester Jury.
- BL Harley 2143 f.9v. - P 18 Eliz - Hotnall et al a Jurie in Dorsett Sheire appeareing by Recognizance of the Justice of Assise were by Mr Atturney (the Justices of Assizes verifieing the offences in the Court) punished for acquitting of a Felon
- see also STAC Holnall
AG v Kennell
- STAC 5/A27/31 - I D - 41 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Kennell et al
- STAC 5/A22/11 - B A - 40 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Kennell, William Jaye et al
- STAC 5/A55/13 - I D - 41 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Kennell et al
- STAC 5/A7/7 - I D - 40 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Kennell, John Mayo, Nicholas Moren, William Jay
- Riotous entry into the dwelling house of William Constantyne gent at Merley co Dorset.
- STAC 5/A15/4 - I D - 14 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Kenell
- STAC 5/A17/12 - I D - 41 Eliz - Dorset - AG v William Keynell et al
- see also STAC Kennell
AG v Meere
- STAC 5/A22/38 - B A - 44 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Meere, Henry Meere et al
- STAC 5/A14/1 - B Dr - 26 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Meare et al
- STAC 5/A37/28 - B Dr - 33 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Meere
- Bill Whereas one John Whetcombe of Sherborne co Dorset, Lynnen Draper brought a Star Chamber Bill against John Meere. Payment expected in the south porch of Powles Church. Forgery
- STAC 5/A12/14 - B A - 35 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Meyre, John Corbett et al
- STAC 5/A33/36 - I D - 44 Eliz - Dorset - AG v John Mere, Henry Mere et al
- see Meere v Dolbery and Whetcomb v Meyr supra
- see also STAC Meere
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 9v. A jury punished for acquitting of a felon upon the justice of assizes verifying the same. Hotrall et al, a jury in Dorsetshire, appearing by recognizance of the justice of assizes were by Mr Attorney (the justices of assizes verifying the offences in the court) punished for acquitting of a felon. Easter 18 Elizabeth (kk)
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 64v. A plaintiff paid £50 damages and other costs to a defendant for exhibiting a slanderous bill which was dismissed upon the 2 chief justices’ certificate adjudged to the pillory. Pitt, plaintiff; Doctor James, Chancellor of Bristol, William South doctor of divinity, Henry Trechever, archdeacon of Dorset, two preachers, the registrar, the apparatour, churchwardens, and sidesmen defendants. [fo. 65r.] All which the plaintiff charged with slanderous matters in their places which matter being referred to the 2 chief justices to consider whether fit for the court or not, they certified that the same matters were both slanderous, false, and untrue, calling in question the judicial proceeding of the said Doctor James whereupon the court dismissed the cause and ordered the plaintiff to stand on the pillory at Blandford upon a market day, and to acknowledge at the next assizes that he had done the defendants wrong to exhibit this slanderous bill against them and to pay Doctor James £50 for damages beside costs to him and one other that appeared, and the bill to be taken of the file and attachment to apprehend the plaintiff and not to be enlarged until he performed the order herein. Hillary 38 Elizabeth (kk)
- Les reportes del cases in Camera Stellata, 1593 to 1609 from the original ms. of John Hawarde edited by William Paley Baildon Published 1894 Pages 31-32 In Camera Stellata, 4th Februarij, 38 Elizabeth, [1595-6], coram consilio ibidem. It was moved by Phillips in the case of Dr. James. One Pettie had preferred a bill for perjury and subornation against Dr. James, Chancellor of Dorsette, the Archdeacon, two ministers, the constables and churchwardens, for presenting that he held company with an ill woman, and for this he was twice convicted and punished; and the Chancellor bound him in £20 not to enter her house without honest company, and that this was contrary to the law, and that they, by virtue of their offices, had extorted more than three subsidies, &c. The honesty of the defendants was certified by divers grave and wise men, of great authority and known to the Court. And as to this slanderous bill, the Court, upon motion without demurrer (because this Court has no jurisdiction over those things not determinable here), sentenced the plaintiff to a fine of £200. But upon some [Page 32] doubts, the bill was referred to be considered by the Judges, and to seek for precedents for this, and if it was ruled as before in Christopher Hattons days, when one Darrell, counscller at law, was committed to the Fleet, then one Mullinaxe in this case was to be disbarred for seven years debarred from all practice, for putting his name to this bill.
Palmer's cumulative totals of Star Chamber fines preserved in the E159s (rp)
- TNA E159/371 Easter Term, 18 Elizabeth. Fine paid
- From William Holwall de Wootton, Dorset, gent: £10.
- From William Welsted de Wymborne Minster, Dorset, yeoman: £10.
- From Hugh Browne de Loders, Dorset: £10.
- From Thomas Forde alias Symmes de Toller Porcorum, Dorset: £10.
- From Richard Edgerton de Loders, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Robert Good de Newton, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Robert Ryves alias Symes de Askerswell, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From John Wryxon de Poorestock, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Henry Darbye de Astpudell, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Walter Edmondes de Podletowne, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Walter Chalcott de Helton, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- From Mathew Arrundell knight sheriff of Dorset: £10.
- TNA E159/387 Trinity Term, 26 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1584
- From George Bowdiche de Hawchurch, Dorset: £6 13s 4d.
- From George Sampson de Hawchurch, Dorset: £3 6s 8d.
- TNA E159/379 Easter Term, 22 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1584
- From John Meere de Sherborne, Dorset: £33 6s 8d.
- TNA E159/398 Hilary Term, 32 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1590
- From John Strangwates de Malbury, Dorset, arminger: £40.
- TNA E159/408 Michaelmas Term, 36-37 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1594
- From Thomas Sutton de Sturminster, Dorset, gent: 5 marks.
- TNA E159/418 Michaelmas Term, 41-42 Michaelmas. Fine Paid 1599
- From William Hoskyns de Bromynster, Dorset and From William Zeborne de Bromynster, Dorset: £20.
- TNA E159/419 Easter Term, 42 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1600
- From Robert Meller, armiger, sheriff of Dorset: 40s.
- TNA E159/424 Michaelmas Term, 44-45 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1602
- From George Moreton de Milborne, Dorset, armiger: 500 marks.
- From Mathew Ancktill de Milborne, Dorset, gent: £20.
- From John Bowerman de Milborne, Dorset: £20.
- From Richard Harris de Milborne, Dorset: £40.
- From Thomas Mowlande de Milborne, Dorset: £40.
- Order that Geroge Moreton, esq, shall pay the fines of Mathewe Ancktyll, John Bowerman, Richard Harrys, and Thomas Mowland if they are unable to do so.
- TNA E159/424 Michaelmas Term, 44-45 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1602
- From John Meeres de Castletowne, Dorset, gent: £20.