Difference between revisions of "STAC co Devon"
|Line 13:||Line 13:|
**see also [[STAC Adam]]
**see also [[STAC Adam]]
''' v '''
*STAC 5//- B - Eliz - Devon - v , et al
**Bill dated Richard of co Devon , in the of .
**see also [[STAC ]]
**see also [[STAC
''' Amyce v Francis '''
''' Amyce v Francis '''
|Line 66:||Line 39:|
**Land dispute in Devon. STAC 5/A39/7
**Land dispute in Devon. STAC 5/A39/7
**see also [[STAC Arscott]]
**see also [[STAC Arscott]]
''' Ayshe v Dowrishe '''
''' Ayshe v Dowrishe '''
|Line 960:||Line 941:|
''' XYZ '''
''' XYZ '''
''' Attorney General '''
''' Attorney General '''
''' AG v Pitford '''
''' AG v Pitford '''
Revision as of 14:40, 3 November 2019
NOTA BENE - These case names are approximate and very likely to be changed.
B Bill of Complaint Dr Demurrer A Answer Rn Replication Rr Rejoinder C Commission I Interrogatories D Deposition
Adams v Dier
- STAC 5/A5/5 - B C A - 37 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Addames v Richard Dier
- Nicholas Addams of Milton Adames in Devon esquire. Land in Tunstall in Devon. STAC 5/A5/5
- see also STAC Adam
Alridge v Hoder
- STAC 5/A17/36 - B - 19 Eliz - Devon - Richard Alrudge v Robert Hoder alias Stephens, John Frye et al
- Bill dated 1577 Richard Alrudge of Lynton co Devon clerk, in re lands belonging top the parsonage of Lynton.
- see also STAC Alridge
Amyce v Francis
- STAC 5/A47/29 - B A - 30 Eliz - Devon - Joseph Amyce v Thomas Francis
- STAC 5/A38/7 - I D - 30 Eliz - Devon - Joseph Amyce v Thomas Francis
- see also STAC Amyce
Armstrong v Worthington
- STAC 5/A7/19 - I D - 21 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Armstrong v Augustine Worthington et al
- Interogatories to be ministered unto Nycholas Armestrong upon the behalfe of Augustine Worthington and others defs. First whether in Ester or Trynitye Terme in the xxth yere of the QM reigne Thomas Francke did not bring into the said Augustine Worthington unto his lodging at the George in Holborne one riting of advowson of the rectory of uplowman in co Devon which did seme to be graunted from the late lord Dawbeney unto one Thomas Worthington and Hughe Adlyngton, or no. STAC 5/A7/19
- see also STAC Armstrong
Arnold v Wadland
- STAC 5/A37/40 - B A - 44 Eliz - Devon - William Arnold v Jane Wadlande, Robert Wadlande, William Northam
- Bill of William Arnold of Northlewe co Devon yeoman, Inheritance of property in Northlewe co Devon. Ans of Jane Wadland and Robert Wadlande to the Bill of William Arnolde - STAC 5/A37/40
- Legend has it that the devil died of the cold in Northlew. (that is from Wikipedia)
- STAC 5/A30/33 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - William Arnold v Robert Wadland
- see also STAC Arnold
Arscott v Arscott
- STAC 5/A39/7 - B Dr - 27 Eliz - Devon - Richard Arscott v John Arscott, John Adam et al
- Land dispute in Devon. STAC 5/A39/7
- see also STAC Arscott
Ashe v Hole
- STAC 5/A29/39 - B A C I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - William Ashe v John Hole, Alexander Knapman, Mark Delves et al
- STAC 5/A23/36 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - William Ashe v Alexander Knapman et al
- Int: lands in Cheriton Crediton Colbrook (Devon). Deposition 30th May Anno 37 Eliz. Alexander Knapman of Throwley co Devon yeoman
- STAC 5/A44/13 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - William Ashe v John Holle et al
- STAC 5/A54/40 - Rn - 37 Eliz - Devon - William Ashe v John Holle, Alexander Knapman
- see also STAC Ashe
Ayshe v Dowrishe
- STAC 5/A39/33 - B A - 34 Eliz - Devon - Alexander Ayshe v William Dowrishe, William Wykes, William Ayshe et al
- Alexander Ayshe of Thronghley in co Devon, yeoman. STAC 5/A39/33
- STAC 5/A18 /34 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Alexander Ayshe v William Weekes, Simon Weckes et al
- STAC 5/A41/39 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Alexander Ayshe v Arkenwall Weeks, William Ayshe
- STAC 5/A28/38 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Alexander Ash v William Dowrishe et al
- STAC 5/A31/23 - Rn - 35 Eliz - Devon - Alexander Ashe v William Dowrishe, William Ashe, Simon Weckes et al
- see also STAC Ashe
Atkins v Dymonde
- STAC 5/A16/4 - B A I D - 28 Eliz - Devon - Peter Atkyn v Richard Dymonde, Edward Hodge, John Beare
- Int: A deed of gift and oaths sworn at Exeter assizes. Dep: Taken at Stratton co Cornwall 4 Jan Anno 28 Eliz Fair Copy. Edward Hodge of Hartland co Devon yeoman, John Beare of Hartland co Devon yeoman aged 36. Bill Peter Atken of Hartland co Devon yeoman. 6 oxen 5 kyne 2 steers 2 heifers 2 yearlings 1 horse 3 mares 40 sheep and other money goods and chattles. Ans: Edward Hodge, John Beare
- STAC 5/A42/10 - I D - 28 Eliz - Devon - Peter Atkins v Richard Dymond et al
- see also STAC Atkins
Atwell v Sachfield
- STAC 5/A56/30 - B - 20 Eliz - Devon - Lawrence Atwell v Sir John Sachfield, John Partridge
- STAC 5/A4/28 - B A Rn C - Hil 21 Eliz - Devon - Laurence Atwell v John Sachefeild, John Hayes, John Partridge et uxor, James Toley et uxor et al
- Netheredge co Devon. STAC 5/A4/28
- STAC 5/A7/13 - B A C I D Rn - 21 Eliz - Devon - Lawrence Atwell v John Sachfield, John Hayes, James Tawley, John Partridge et Margery uxor, John Toley et Cecelye uxor, Stephen Toley, Edward Toley, Peter Davie, James Byshopp, Rychard Holwyll, John Tannor, Thomas Tanner William Wale, Edward Morys, Roberte Volinge, Leonard Partridge, Richard Tolie, Robert Tucker, Humfrey Bradford
- Lawrence Atwell of Wetheredge [Witheridge] co Devon was from home in the City of London leaving behind his wife children and family when his house was invaded by armed rioters. John Hayes being the leader and instigator. *STAC 5/A7/13
- STAC 5/A35/9 - I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Lawrence Atwell v John Hayes, Andrew Webber
- STAC 5/A3/38 - B A - 22 Eliz - Devon - Laurence Atwell v John Hayes, James Toley, John Partridge, Peter Davis
- Lawrence Atwell of Westeridge Devon, husbandman. Riotous attack on his house. STAC 5/A3/38
- see also STAC Atwell
Austyn v Carpenter
- STAC 5/A53/33 - B A C I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Michael Awsten v John Carpenter, Richard Evan
- STAC 5/A2/11 - B - Easter 22 Eliz - Devon - Michell Austen v John Carpenter, Richard Evan
- Michell Austen of Buckfasligh Devon, yeoman. STAC 5/A2/11
- STAC 5/A3/19 - A Rn I D - 39 Eliz - Devon - Mychell Austen v John Carpenter, Richard Evan
- see also STAC Austin
Austyn v Grute
- STAC 5/A41/23 - B - 21 Eliz - Devon - Michael Austyn v James Grute.
- Michael Austyn of Buckefastelegh co Devon, yeman. Brought a Bill in Star Chamber against John Carpenter and Richard Evan for perjury. James Grute of Vyborough co Devon, took an affidavit that John Carpenter was above the age of four score years and Richard Evan was about three score and three years and an impotent man not able to travel to appear in this Court without danger of their lives. This was none of it true. STAC 5/A41/23
- see also STAC Austin
Avery v Gottam
- STAC 5/A32/34 - B A Rr C I D - 11 Eliz - Devon - Agnes Averye. Robert Averye v Roger Gottam, Christopher Galimor, Dennys Bennett, George Raynsbye, Thomas Rosse, Edward Bynford. Bill of Agnes Averie. Answer Thomas Rosse. Answer of Bennett and Raynesby. Answer of Gottam, Galemore and Birford.
- Commission and 2 Interrogatories. Rejoinder of Gottam, Galemore, Binford, Rosse, Bennet, and Ranesby. Replication of Agnes and Robert Averie. Vast amounts of very legible depositions, taken in Exeter.
- Agnes Averie widow of Richard Averie (who died intestate) of Marsh co Devon and Robert his son. inheritance dispute, Devon. STAC 5/A32/34
- STAC 5/A6/21 - I D - 11 Eliz - Devon - Agnes Avery, Robert Avery v Dennis Bennel, George Randesbie, John Burford, Roger Gotham
- STAC 5/A27/26 - B - 15 Eliz - Devon - Agnes Averye, Robert Averye, v Edmond Gowden, John Mylles
- see also STAC Avery
Babb v Moore
- STAC 5/B67/19 - I D - 35 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Babbe v Richard Baker, Roger Paynter, William Pethericke
- STAC 5/B6/32 - A - 30 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Babb v William Pethericke, Richard Baker, Roger Painter et al
- STAC 5/B4/9 - B - Mich 29/30 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Babbe v Thomas Moore, Nicholas Mytton, Richard Baker, Roger Painter et al
- Thomas Babb of Dawlish, Devon, husbandman. Tenement in Dawlish.(dk)
- see also STAC Babb
Bankes v Bagwell
- STAC 5/B62/12 - B A - 15 Eliz - Devon - Agnes Bankes v Peter Bagwell, Symon Rebynton, John Baseley
- STAC 7/10/21 - - - Devon - Agnes Abancke v Peter Bagwell, Simon Revyngton, John Newton, and John Baseley
- TNA Note: Colyton: Land in the manor of Whitford. STAC 7/10/21
- STAC 5/A19/26 - I D - 15 Eliz - Devon - Agnes Abaurt v Peter Bagwell, John Newton et al
- see also STAC Banks
Barber v Collescott
- STAC 5/B8/3 - B A - Trinity 43 Eliz - Devon - Peter Barber v Richard Collescott
- Peter Barber of Totnes, Devon. Sealing of a deed under duress from Elyott Kennecott of Exeter, merchant. Ref to cause at Queen's Bench.(dk) - STAC 5/B8/3
- STAC 5/B18/3 - I D - 43 Eliz - Devon - Peter Barber v Richard Collescott
- see also STAC Barber
Baron v Fry
- STAC 5/B8/6 - B A C I D - 18 Eliz - Devon - William Baron v John Frye, John Marwood, Edward Tye, John Rodden, Thomas Vilvayne
- Willyam Baron of Shute, Devon, husbandman. Lands etc called Morecoxehaies in Shute & Colyton which had been recovered at Common Law from Willyam Frye c. 10 yrs previoously.(dk) - STAC 5/B8/6
- STAC 5/B19/10 - I D - 18 Eliz - Devon - William Bacon v John Frye, William Frye
- STAC 5/B115/16 - I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - William Baron v John Mirwood
- STAC 5/B109/27 - I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - William Baron v John Marwood (now B115/16)
- see also STAC Barron
Bassett v Andecci
- STAC 5/B33/7 - B A - Easter 4 Eliz - Devon - Mary Basset v John Andecci Sr, John Andecci Jr
- Marie Bassett, widow, late wife of James Bassett. Manor of Great Torrington, Devon. Violent assembly to dig out & divert the water used to drive the complts water mills.(dk)
- see also STAC Bassett
Bastard v Courtney
- STAC 5/B93/4 - B - 7 Eliz - Devon - John Basterd v James Courtney, Philip Courtney, Stephen Luccombe et al
- STAC 5/B104/30 - I D - 8 Eliz - Devon - John Basterd v Philip Courteney
- STAC 5/B60/28 - B A - 8 Eliz - Devon - John Bastard v Owen Martyn, John Peter, Philip Courtney, James Courtney
- see also STAC Bastard
Batten v Shere
- STAC 5/B105/29 - B A - 34 Eliz - Devon - Joan Batten, Thomas Batten v Thomas Sheere, John Sheere
- STAC 5/B21/35 - B A C - 31 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Batten et uxor v John Sheere, Thomas Sheere et al
- Thomas Batten & Johane his wife of Woodeforde, Plumpton St Mary, Devon. Rights to a copyhold tenement in Plumpton St Mary.(dk)
- STAC 5/B71/31 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Battyn, Joane Battyn v Thomas Shere
- STAC 5/B107/6 - B - - Devon - Thomas Batten v John Pheere, Thomas Pheere
- see also STAC Batten
Bawden v Dyer
- STAC 5/B7/21 - B A - Hil 21 Eliz - Devon - John Bawdon v John Heale, Thomas Heale, Nicholas Dyer, Margaret Stephen et al
- STAC 5/B28/28 - B A - 21 Eliz - Devon - John Bawdon v Nicholas Dyer, John Shere et al
- STAC 7/1/27 - B A I Rn - - Devon - John Bawdon v John Leake, Nicholas Dyer, John Shere, John Momford, Walter Pepperell, et al
- TNA Note: Plympton etc: Frivolous suits, disputes as to pasture etc.
- Bill and Answer in shreds. The Interrogatories are partly legible (61 Articles)
- STAC 5/B54/12 - C I - 21 Eliz - Devon - John Bawden v John Heale, Nicholas Oyer
- STAC 5/B80/27 - C I - 22 Eliz - Devon - John Bawden v Nicholas Dyer
- STAC 5/B32/5 - D - 29 Eliz - Devon - John Bawden v Nicholas Dyer et al
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 36v. Multiple of actions brought by defendants against plaintiff, under colour of their title staid here. Bowden, plaintiff; Dyer et al, defendants: a multitude of actions brought by the defendant against the plaintiff in a court baron and at the common law (hanging this suit against the defendant) staid by order of this court. Michaelmas 22 Elizabeth (kk)
- see also STAC Bawden
Berry v Croke
- STAC 5/B104/23 - B - - Devon - Anthony Berye v John Croke, David Parker, James Towjer, Walter Downet, Thomas Thraysher, William Norracotte, Stephen Bourne, Richard [blank]
- STAC 5/B96/33 - B A - 19 Eliz - Devon - Lawrens Bery v John Crook, John Ware et al
- STAC 5/B103/27 - I D - 19 Eliz - Devon - Lawrence Bery v John Croke et al
- STAC 7/18/27 - - - Devon - Lawrence Berye v John Crooke
- see also STAC Berry
- STAC 5/B12/3 - C I D - 4 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Bickford v John Croker, John Snellynge, Thomas Maynard et al
- STAC 5/B9/23 - A C - 3 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Bykeford v John Snellynge, Thomas Maynard, John Heyward, Robert Thornyn, Richard Hale
Bidwell v Pasmore
- STAC 5/B113/8 - Rn - - Devon - Richard Bydwell v Dionyse Pasmere, Thomas Pasmere et al
- STAC 7/10/35 - - - Devon - Richard Bydwell v Dennis Pasmere, Peter Pasmere et Lawrence uxor et al
- TNA Note: Halberton etc: Dispute as to lands called `Bordevyliston', and seizure of documents at Sutton. STAC 7/10/35
- STAC 5/B22/24 - I D - 1 Eliz - Devon - Peter Budwell v Peter Pasmore
- see also STAC Bidwell
Bound v Sweet
- STAC 5/B58/5 - B A C - 23 Eliz - Devon - Robert Bound v Victor Sweet, Roger Lowcroft
- STAC 5/B21/24 - I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Robert Bownde v Victor Sweete, John Ricke et al
- Interrs refer to a messuage in Upton in the parish of South Mylton, Devon.(dk)
- see also STAC Bond
Brown v Collacott
- STAC 5/B26/38 - B A Rn - 29 Eliz - Devon - Brute Brown v James Collacott
- perjury in a property dispute (cm)
- see also STAC Brown
Bulley v Osborne
- STAC 5/B68/3 - B - 23 Eliz - Devon - William Bulley v Richard Osborne
- Bill: William Bulley of ?Ipplepen?, Devon, Yeoman v Richarde Oseborne (dk)
- Rectory, parsonage & tithes of ?Ipplepen?, Devon. Refers also to Consistory Court of Bishop of Exeter.
- see also STAC Bulley
Bury v Arthure
- STAC 5/B9/5 - B Dr - Trinity 31 Eliz - Devon - Humphrey Bury v Thomas Arthure
- Humfrye Burye of Lullesdone, Devon. Making of a bond under duress.(dk) - STAC 5/B9/5
- see also STAC Bury
Cade v Glass
- STAC 5/C35/36 - B A R Rr C I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - Roger Cade v Nicholas Glass, Peter Bowden, John Drew et al
- STAC 5/C78/12 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - Roger Cade v Peter Bowden, Nicholas Glasse
- Roger Cade v Peter Bowden, Nicholas Glasse. Devon, will of Alexander Beaple.(dk). STAC 5/C78/12
- see also STAC Cade
Callard v Callard
- STAC 5/C45/14 - B Dr - 37 Eliz - Devon - Eustace Callarde v Richard Callarde, Grace Callarde, Symon Weekes et al
- STAC 5/C35/37 - B A C I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - Richard Callard v Eustace Callard, Con Callard, John Cary, John Paddon et al
- Case Book Report STAC 5/C35/37r
- STAC 5/C12/31 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - Richard Callarde v John Corye, John Padden et al
- see also STAC Callard
Calwoodley v Arundell
- STAC 5/C69/18 - B - 14 Eliz - Devon - John Calwoodley v William Lyon, John Rowland et al
- John Callewoodley of Padstowe, Cornwall, deputy Customer of the port of Padstowe v Sir John Arundell, Henry Mason, James Mestocke, Willm [?Lyon?], John Momped & John Rowland.(dk) - STAC 5/C69/18
- see also STAC Calwoodley
Carew v Huckmore
- STAC 5/C65/37 - B A - 42 Eliz - Devon - John Carew v Gregory Huckmore, Henry Smith et al
- STAC 5/C54/11 - B - 44 Eliz - Devon - John Carewe v Gregory Huckmore, Walter Cuminge et al
- One John Geeffrey of Stokentynheade Devon, Mariner. STAC 5/C2/7
- STAC 5/C2/7 - I D - 42 Eliz - Devon - John Carewe v Gregory Huckmore
- see also STAC Carew
Chawner v Hedden
- STAC 5/C1/5 - B A C I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - John Chawner v John Hedden, Nicholas Besse, William Gryll, Thomas Pomery, John Donne, John Tapprell, Thomas Veysey, John Martin Sr, Matthew Corker, John Barfeild, John Johnson alias Gilbert, Thomas Webler, Thomas Martin Jr, Nicholas Pennel, Thomas Barfield, William Veale, Robert Lake, John Venton, John Westlake, John Collwell, Henry Halchin, John Ashe, Jeremy Pomerey, Nicholas Correy, John Bonyfaut, George Allen, Richard Seste, John Moyse Junr, John Moyse Senr, Philip Wright, Nicholas Donne, Nicholas Donne, William Wright, John Heddon, Thomas Heddon, William Heddon
- John Chawner a prisoner in Queen’s Bench. STAC 5/C1/5
- STAC 5/C3/19 - B - Mich 37/38 Eliz - Devon - John Chawner v John Heddon, Nicholas Besse, John Moyse, William Gryll, Thomas Pomeroy, John Donne et al
- STAC 5/C51/37 - B A C I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - John Chawner v John Downe, John Hedden, Nicholls Bess et al
- see also STAC Chawner
Clark v Walter
- STAC 5/C57/37 - B A C I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - Francis Clerke, Joan Clerke v John Walter, Anthony Basse et al
- STAC 5/C20/18 - I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - Francis Clarke et uxor v John Walter et al
- In re land in Marwodde co Devon - STAC 5/C20/18
- see also STAC Clark
Closse v Pomeroy
- STAC 5/C25/13 - B Dr- 40 Eliz - Devon George Closse v Thomas Pomeroy, Robert Cary, William Elliot et al
- STAC 5/C69/7 - B A Dr I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - George Closse v Thomas Pomerey, Robert Carye et al
- Rectories of Black Torrington & Brodeford, Devon. Refs cause in Exchequer. (dk) STAC 5/C69/7
- STAC 5/C28/25 - B A C I D - 45 Eliz - Devon George Closse v Roberts Carye, Thomas Pomerye
- see also STAC Closse
Clotworthy v Wright
- STAC 5/C14/23 - B A Rn - 40 Eliz - Devon - Simon Clotworth v John Wright
- Bill Symon Clotworth of Collompton [Cullumpton] co Devon, about 21st April 34 Eliz, borrowed of William West of the City of Exeter merchant, ten pounds and for security delivered one dozen silver spoons and one cup of silver being of better value than ten pounds. STAC 5/C14/23
- Answer dated 18 May Anno 40. Answer of John Wright deft. STAC 5/C14/23
- STAC 5/C32/20 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - Simon Clotworthy v John Wright
- STAC 5/C39/37 - I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - Simon Clotworthy v John Bright
- STAC 5/C43/9 - C I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - Simon Clatworth v John Wright
- STAC 5/C50/23 - I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - Simon Clotworthy v John Wright
- see also STAC Clotworthy
Cole v Hele
- STAC 5/C14/28 - B A - 38 Eliz - Devon - Richard Cole v Walter Heule, William Amme et uxor et al
- Answer - dated 11 Nov Ao 38 Eliz - Answer of Walter Hele and Willyam Amme two of the defts to the Bill of Compl of Richard Cole esq Complt. signed John Hele and Eliz Hele. STAC 5/C14/28
- Chancery case, land in the parish of Cornwood Devon. STAC 5/C14/28
- STAC 5/C53/14 - Rn - 39 Eliz - Devon - Richard Cole v Walter Hele, William Amme
- STAC 5/C50/33 - I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - Richard Cole v Walter Hele, William Amme
- see also STAC Cole
Connock v Harris
- STAC 5/C61/26 - I D - 23 Eliz - - Richard Connocke v Thomas White
Connock v Harris
- STAC 5/C2/15 - B Dr A - 32 Eliz - Devon, Cornwall - Richard Connock v John Harris et uxor, Joane Harte, John Hankin et uxor, Roger Piper et al
- Richard Connock of the Middle Temple gente, That whereas one Joane now called Harris the daughter and heir of Robert Hart of the parish of Stooke Climsland in the County of Cornwall late deceased was by one Nicholas Halfe of Efford in the Countty of Devon about five years last past charged to have contracted herself in marriage with the said Halfe for proof and manifest declaration of which contract he the said Half commenced suit against her in the Consistory court of Exon prosecuting the same according to the ecclesiastical laws of this realm until it was there sentenced on the part of the said halfe against the said Joane from whence it was removed by the suit of the said Joane by appeale into the Court of Arches whereafter it had almost for the space of two yeres depended it was there also the second time sentences on the part and behalf of the said Halfe against the said Joane notwithstanding bothe which several sentences she the said Joane the third time transmitted the two sentences and the procedings therein by appeal before certain commissioners deligates, where at length by means of a Composition had between the said parties a final sentence by consent of bothe the said parties passed for the said Joane freeing and clearing her of the said contracts At the beginning of which suits in Law so between her and the said Halfe or shortly after certen of the friends and very nigh kindred of the said Joane had conference with your said subject touching the said Joane and her troubles aforesaid . . . STAC 5/C2/15 - Bill
- STAC 5/C36/1 - B A - 32 Eliz - Devon, Cornwall - Richard Connocke v John Harris et uxor, Joane Harte et al
- STAC 5/C65/23 - I D - 32 Eliz - Devon, Cornwall - Richard Connocke v Joane Harris, John Harris
- see also STAC Connock
Cooke v Catford
- STAC 5/C63/1 - B A - 41 Eliz - Devon - John Cooke, Charles Beare v William Catford Sr, William Catford Jr
- STAC 5/C20/20 - C I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - John Cooke, Charles Beare v William Catford Sr, William Catford Jr
- STAC 5/C45/33 - Rn - 41 Eliz - Devon - John Cooke, Charles Beare v William Cuttford Sr
- STAC 5/C48/33 - Rr - 41 Eliz - Devon - John Cook, Charles Beare v William Catford Sr, William Catford Jr
- STAC 5/C51/31 - I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - John Cooke, Charles Bear v William Catford Sr, William Catford Jr
- see also STAC Cooke
Cottell v Wood
- STAC 5/C2/12 - B - 22 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Cottell v Christopher Wood, Martin Steare, Thomas Vanston, John Ellys, Alexander Keate
- Thomas Cottell of Northtawton in Devon, gent. STAC 5/C2/12
- see also STAC Cottell
- STAC 5/C78/2 - A - - Devon - Lawrence Courtenay v John Hillarsdon et al
- Answer of John Hillardsdon & Henry Stidston to complaint of Lawrence Courtenaye. Curtilage & orchard in City of Exeter, formerly held by Andrew Hillardsdon, father of deft John H.(dk) STAC 5/C78/2
- see also STAC Courtney
- STAC 5/C1/25 - B A I D C - 43 Eliz - Devon - John Crewe v Gregory Huckemore, Thomas Huckemore, William Huckemore, Henry Smith, William Soper et al
Crass v Drew
- STAC 5/C2/2 - B A C - 19 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Crosse v Richard Drewe et uxor, Katherin Fowle, Thomas Plumbley and Mary Duck
- Nicholas Crosse or Crasse of Clifton Durtmouthe in Devon, Mariner. STAC 5/C2/2
- STAC 5/C78/24 - Rn - Devon - Nicholas Crass v Richard Drewe, Thomas Plumley et al
- Nycholas Crasse v Richard Drewe and Dorothy his wife, Thomas Plumleye & Kathren Forde. Location not identified in replication.(dk)
- STAC 5/C34/40 - - 20 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Crasse v Richard Drewe et uxor , Thomas Plumley et al
- see also STAC Crass
Crispin v Webber
- STAC 5/C69/20 - B A Dr C I D - 35 Eliz - Devon - Helen Crispin v Nicholas Webber
- Achilles Chrispyne & Helen his wife of West A..llvington, Devon v Nicholas Webber als Gilberte. (dk) STAC 5/C69/20
- see also STAC Crispin
Crocker v Bickford
- STAC 5/C14/18 - B A Rn - 3 Eliz - Devon - John Crocker v Nicholas Byckford
Crooke v Bowden
- STAC 5/C20/22 - B A - 44 Eliz - Devon - John Crooke v Philip Bowden, Matthew Skinner
- John Crooke of Thelbridge Co Devon v Philip Bowden of Witheridge Co Devon action of trespass in KB (North Close in Rakenford), Matthew Skynner his servant a poore man of small honestie and lesse consyence swore at the Exeter assizes to the trespass leading to a verdict for Bowden. 20s damages. - STAC 5/C20/22
- STAC 5/C49/35 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - John Crooke v Matthew Skinner
- see also STAC Crooke
Crosse v Norton
- STAC 5/C20/12 - B A - 33 Eliz - Devon - Robert Crosse v Robert Nordon, John Larder Jr, Edward May, Henry Stephens, John Larder Sr, Matthew Stephens, Elizabeth Stephens, William Norcot alias Nordon, Methany Norcott alias Nordon, William Tye, Thomas Tye, William Pownd, John Holway, Richard Baker, Collice Baker
Cue v Ball
- STAC 5/C57/32 - B A C - 24 Eliz - Devon - Edward Cue v Julian Bald
- STAC 7/2/3 - - - Devon - Edward Cue v Juliana Ball
- TNA Note: Perjury in a Chancery suit for a tenancy in the manor of South Huish
- see also STAC Cue
Cullacot v Beamford
- STAC/C80/4 - B - - Devon - Edward Cullacot v John Beanford
- Edward Callacot of Brodwoode ?Nidger?, Devon. Forgery of obligation by John Beamford of Weke St Mary, Cornwall.(dk) STAC 5/C80/4
- see also STAC Cullacot
Dennys v Fry
- STAC 5/D19/29 - B A R C - 15 Eliz - Devon - Clement Dennys v William Fry, John Chichester, James Colman et al
- Wrongful eviction from premises in the parishes of Collyton & Shute in Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/D19/29
- STAC 5/D6/3 - I D - 15 Eliz - Devon - Clement Dennys v James Colman, John Pynnye, John Downynge et al
- see also STAC Dennys
Dennys v Tremayne
- STAC 5/D38/46 - R - 45 Eliz - Devon - Dame Margaret Dennis v Andrew Tremayne, Roger Wannell et al
- STAC 5/D14/35 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - Lady Margaret Dennys v Andrewe Tremayne, Roger Wannett et al
- Demise of a close in East Budleigh, Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/D14/35
- see also STAC Dennys
Dillon v Andrew
- STAC 5/D19/1 - B - 22 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dillon v James Andrew, Simon Slee et al
- STAC 5/D6/2 - I D - 2 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dillon v James Andrewe, George Andrewe, William Andrewe, Symon Slee
- Fremington co Devon
- see STAC Dillon
Dillon v Dillon
- STAC 5/D34/22 - B - 9 Eliz - Devon - Richard Dillon v Henry Dillon, Nicholas Payne et al
- Assault; Affray. (cm)
- see also STAC Dillon
Dodson v Wray
- STAC 5/D3/20 - B A - Hil 21 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Dodson v John Wraye, George Paddon, Richard Upham, John Norris, Edward Babington, Alice White, Thomas Beane
- Dispute over the vicarage of Ugborowe [Ugborough] co Devon.
- see also STAC Dodson
Drake v Hayes
- STAC 5/D3/21 - B A Rn - Hil 21 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Drake v John Hayes, John Partrydge
- Washfordpyne co Devon
- see also STAC Drake
Drake v Howper
- STAC 5/D32/21 - B - - Devon - Bernard Drake v Richard Howper, Robert Tannar et al
- STAC 5/D41/19 - B - - Devon - Barnard Drake v Richard Howper, John Rocke et al
- STAC 5/D30/4 - A I D C - 8 Eliz - Devon - Barnard Drake v Richard Howper, Robert Tanner
- STAC 5/D6/8 - I D - 7 Eliz - Devon - Bernard Drake v Robert Tanner
- Whether were you or any of you at the River of Axe fishing. Deponents from Colyford co Devon.
- see STAC Drake
Drew v Courtney
- STAC 5/D38/11 - B A C I D Rr - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Henry Isaak alias Skibbon, Turner
- STAC 5/G4/9 - Rn - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drew et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Anthony Turner, Henry Isaac alias Skibbon
- STAC 5/D17/27 - I D - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe v Sir William Courtney et al
- STAC 5/D16/39 - I D - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor v Henry Isaac alias Skybborne et al
- STAC 5/D8/19 - I D - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Anthony Turner et al
- STAC 5/D6/28 - I D - 36 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Anthony Turner et al
- STAC 5/D7/3 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Drew et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Antony Turner et al
- STAC 5/D19/23 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor v Sir William Courtney, Henry Isacke, Arthure Turner
- Manor of Wolboroughe, Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/D19/23
- STAC 5/D32/23 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Drewe et uxor et al v Sir William Courtenay, Anthony Turner et al
- see also STAC Drew
Drew v Giles
- STAC 5/D40/7 - B A - - Devon - Thomas Drewe v John Giles, William Geare et al
- Mansion house called Sherpeham in parish of Aysshebryngton, Devon. Common of estovers in wood called Langham Wood. Assault upon complt & his servants while collecting wood that had been felled & prepared.(dk) - STAC 5/D40/7
- see also STAC Drew
Drew v Riall
- STAC 5/D3/30 - B A - 26 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Drew v George Riall, Nicholas Brown, Thomas Browning, Philip Lingford et al
- Thomas Drewe of the parish of Holdisworthy [Holsworthy] co Devon, yeoman - STAC 5/D3/30
- see also STAC Drew
Duck v Braban
- STAC 5/D25/39 - B A Rn - 25 Eliz - Devon - Richard Duicke, Thomas Duicke v John Duicke, Thomas Marshall, Andrew Sowdon
- STAC 5/D11/38 - I D - 26 Eliz - Devon - Richard Duck, Thomas Duck v John Duck, Andrew Sowdon
- ?Hevetree?, Devon. Estate of John Duck & Amye Duck, both decd, parents of the deft John Duck. Interrogatories to be ministered to John Duck deft on behalf of Richard Duck & Tho: Ducke complts. Interrogatories to be ministered to Andrew Sowdon & Thomas Marshall defts(dk) *STAC 5/D11/38
- Deponent, 19 Nov Anno 26 Eliz: Andrew Sawden? of Whites..ne Devon husbandman, Thomas Marshall of Whitesterne Devon husbandman, John Ducke of Hevetrill Devon yeoman (dk) - STAC 5/D11/38
- see also STAC Duck
Duckett v Braban
- STAC 5/D1/15 - B A - 36 Eliz - Devon - Francis Duckett v Randal Brabon, Gilbert Arey, Robert Hannington, Miles Hanington
- STAC 5/D40/18 - Rr - 39 Eliz - Devon - Francis Duckett v Randall Braban, Gilbert Ayney et al
- STAC 5/D5/11 - Rn - 36 Eliz - Devon - Francis Duckett v Randall Braban, Gilbert Avey
- Deposition: 16 February 1578 Edward Babyngton, of Frogboroughe, Devon, clerk, vicar, (dk) - STAC 5/D5/11
- STAC 5/D18/15 - I D - 36 Eliz - Devon - Francys Duckett v Randall Braban Gilbert Arey et al
- see also STAC Duckett
Dunsford v Dunsford
- STAC 5/D37/39 - B A R - 42 Eliz - Devon - Henry Dunsford v Peter Dunsford et al
- STAC 5/D5/24 - I D - 42 Eliz - Devon - Henry Dunsford v John Northampton, William Poke alias Weeks
- Interrogatories to be ministered to Peter Dunsford, John Northampton, William Poke als Weekes the elder defts at suit of Henry Dunsforde complt, include: Was the complt lawfully seised before 7 May last past of a messuage & lands called Cogaimis Park in the parish of Uffcolcombe. Were you on that day in the said tenement, who procured you to come, who was with you, and what weapons did you all have, did you come by the meanes of the deft Peter Dunsford & were some of you disguised in women's apparell. Did you and your company break into the complts house & break down the windows & doors. Deponents 22 April Anno 42 Eliz: Peeter Dunsford,, weaver, William Pouke als Wykes, of Uffcollombe, [Devon], tucker, John Northampton, husbandman, all of Uffcolcombe, Devon (dk) - STAC 5/D5/24
- STAC 5/D24/16 - I D C - 43 Eliz - Devon - Henry Dunforde v Peter Dunfforde, John Northampton, William Weekes et al
- see also STAC Dunsford for other possible references
Dyer v Moulton
- STAC 5/D11/32 - B A Rn Rr - 33 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dyer v Philip Molton, Robert Arundell et al
- Nycholas Dyer v Phillippe Molton, Robert Arrundell & Lawrence Underhill. Ref to suit commenced in King's Bench by Phillipp Moulton of Plympton Morris, Devon in 32 Eliz, and arrest of Dyer. Bill of Nycholas Dyer of Plympton Mary, Devon. Answer of Phillippe Moulton. Replication of Nicholas Dyer complt to the answer of Phelipp Moulton. Rejoinder of Phillipe Moulton, Gent deft to the replication of Nicholas Dyer.(dk)
- STAC 5/D25/30 - I D - 33 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dyer v Philip Molton
- see also STAC Dyer
Dyer v Robbins
- STAC 5/D42/11 - B - 34 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dyer v John Robbins, [ ? ] Grosse et al
- Nicholas Dyar of Plumpton, Devon. Perjury in action of trespass v John Robbins of Plumpton at Court of Plumpton.(dk) - STAC 5/D42/11
- see also STAC Dyer
Dyer v Shene
- STAC 5/D34/17 - B - 12 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Dyer, John Shene v John Bawden, Robert Broking et al
- Defrauding her majesty's land. (cm)
- see also STAC Dyer
Earth v Peter
- STAC 5/E7/30 - B - 22 Eliz - Devon - Hugh Erth v Richard Peter, John Dottinge et al
- STAC 5/E16/17 - A - 23 Eliz - Devon - Hugh Earth v Richard Peter, John Dotting et al
- STAC 5/E4/5 - C I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Hugh Earth v Richard Peter
- Deponents: William Yearde of Woodland co Devon gentleman aged 68. John Gale of Iplepen husbandman aged 77. Richard Dyer of Iplepen husbandman aged 87. Richard Osborne of Ipplepen weaver aged 63. Richard Janeof ipplepen husbandman aged 60. Otes Whytyhethe of Ipplepen husbandman aged 68. John Carter of Ipplepen husbandman aged 45. Lewes Goosewell of Wodeland co Devon yeoman aged 72. Thomas Salter of Ipplepen co Devon husbandman aged 70. James Peter of Marledon co co Devon yeoman aged 70. William Cullyne of Wodelande Devon husbandman aged 59. Richard Northwood of Ipplepon husbandman aged 60. Richard Coole of Ipplepen co Devon husbandman aged 60. Michaelle Myddwinter of Ipplepen co Devon husbandman aged 60 - STAC 5/E4/5
- STAC 5/E10/28 - I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Hugh Earth v Richard Peter, John Dotting
- Deponents 16 Feb Anno 38 Eliz: John Dottyng. Richard Peter of Iplepen husbandman - STAC 5/E10/28
- see also STAC Earth
Endicott v Hole
- STAC 5/E4/11 - B A - 39 Eliz - Devon - Julian Endecott v John Hole Sr, Richard Dodridge et al
- Julian Endecott of Crowley co Devon widow - STAC 5/E4/11
- STAC 5/E2/26 - I D - 39 Eliz - Devon - Julian Endacott v George Bearde
- STAC 5/E15/11 - Rn - 40 Eliz - Devon - Julyan Endecott v John Hole, Peter Hole, Richard Dodridge et al
- STAC 5/E3/9 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - Julian Endacott v Richard Dodridge
- see also STAC Endicott
Everlegh v Cross
- STAC 5/E1/39 - B A - 2 Eliz - Devon - John Evelegh, Richard Calmadye, William Lane, Richard Lane v William Cross, John Cross, William Middleton
- Manor of Clyst Hydon. Devon. Wm Alee, in 2 Eliz, exhibited a bill in Chancery against these compls. STAC 5/E1/39
- see also STAC Eveleigh
Eveleigh v Morris
- STAC 5/E14/20 - B A C I D - 45 Eliz - Devon - George Eveleigh, John Morrice v John Tucke Sr et uxor, John Rutley Sr et al
- STAC 5/E6/17 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - George Eveleigh, John Morris v Peter Tucke
- STAC 5/E9/9 - A I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - George Eveleighe, John Morrice v John Turke, John Ratley et al
- Deponent from Otery St Mary, Devon. Interrs - Do you know the manor of Holcombe in Ottery St Mary? Do you hold one tenement, parcel of the said manor?(dk) - STAC 5/E9/9
- see also STAC Eveleigh
Eveleigh v Ludgate
- STAC 5/E16/40 - B A Rn - 19 Eliz - Devon - George Everleigh v John Ludgate, Christopher Martin
- STAC 5/E3/3 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - George Ebelegh v John Ludgate, Christopher Martyn
- STAC 5/E14/26 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - George Eveleighe et uxor v John Ludgate, Christopher Martin
- STAC 5/E13/19 - I - 18 Eliz - Devon - George Evelegh v John Ludgate et al
- Interrs: .. did you know John Cervington the elder decd .. Manor & lands in Tavistoke, Peterstavye, Southsidenham, Whitchurche, Meavie, Lyston & Beareferris in Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/E13/19
- STAC 7/12/2 - - - Devon - George Eveleigh v John Ludgate, Christopher Martyn
- TNA Note: Subornation of perjury concerning the estate of John Sewyngton. STAC 7/12/2
- see also STAC Eveleigh
Everlegh v Turner
- STAC 5/E15/28 - I D - 13 Eliz - Devon - John Evelegh v Raffe Turner, William Nightingale
- Rectory of Talleton/Calleton, Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/E15/28
- STAC 5/E4/32 - I D - 12 Eliz - Devon - John Eveleghe v Ralph Turner, William Nightingale et al
- see also STAC Eveleigh
Exeter Brewers v Tyer
- STAC 5/E9/8 - B A - 45 Eliz - Devon - Brewers of Exeter v John Tyer
- see also STAC Exeter
Exeter Cathedral v Tryvett
- STAC 5/E2/9 - B - 18 Eliz - Devon - Exeter Cathedral v William Tryvett, Richard Prouse, Simon Knight
- see also STAC Exeter
Eyer v Slocombe
- STAC 5/E1/5 - B A Rn - 3 Eliz - Devon - Richard Eyre v George Slocombe, Jeffery Nicholl, Walter Leye, John Dolemore et al.
- Bill of Richard Eyer of Westdowne co Devon in re property there. STAC 5/E1/5
- see also STAC Eyre
Feator v Phillips
- STAC 5/F22/35 - B A - 5 Eliz - Devon - Joane Feator v Richard Philips et al.
- Johan Feytor Wydowe . . . land in the parish of Otterton in co Devon. STAC 5/F22/35
- Wm Newcombe alias Cooke and Johan his wife Richard Phyllipes Richarde Lette and Thomas Pyn being very lewd and evyll dysposed persons and of much disordered life. STAC 5/F22/35
- STAC 5/F15/37 - I D - 10 Eliz - Devon - John Feator v Richard Phillips
- see also STAC Feator
Flamancke v Arundell
- STAC 7/2/32 - - - Devon - Oliver Flamanke v Robert Arrundell, William Gyles, Thomas Calmadye
- TNA Notes: Extortions by colour of defendants office. Robert Arrundell, under-sheriff, and William Gyles and Thomas Calmadye, his deputies
- see also STAC Flamancke
Fley v Fulford
- STAC 5/F5/31 - B A C I D - 18 Eliz - Devon - John Fleye v John Fulford, William Martins, William Cleke et al
- STAC 5/F31/7 - Rn - 18 Eliz - Devon - John Fley v Sir John Fulford, William Cleake et al
- STAC 7/2/30 - - - Devon - Fleye v Sir John Fulford and his servants
- TNA Notes: Buckerell: Forcible ouster from a house
- see also STAC Fley
Forde v Lawrey
- STAC 5/F18/16 - B Dr - 6 Eliz - Devon - John Forde v Richard Lawrie
- STAC 5/F9/35 - B - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Forde v Richard Lawrey
- Transcribed STAC 5/F9/35
- John Forde yeoman and Richard Lawrey labourer, both of of Ugborowe [Ugborough] co Devon. Assault, battery and wounding at Madburie [Modbury] co Devon
- STAC 5/F12/30 - A - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Forde v Richard Lawrey et al
- STAC 5/F6/16 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Forde v Richard Lawrie
- STAC 5/F26/19 - I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Ford v Richard Lowry
- see also STAC Ford
Ford v Pomerie
- STAC 5/F3/20 - B A - 27 Eliz - Devon - John Forde v Hugh Pomerie, Thomas Pomerie.
- John Forde of Ilsington in co Devon gent. Manor and Borough of Aysheburton in co Devon.
- see also STAC Ford
Fountain v Avent
- STAC 5/F2/15 - B A Rn Rr - 16 Eliz - Devon - John Fountain v Thomas Boyes, William Avent.
- John Fountain of Lincolns Inn, Middlesex. That whereas one John Boyes of Harford, Devonshire . .
- STAC 5/F15/1 - C I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - John Founteyne v William Avent et al
- STAC 5/F5/25 - I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - John Fountayne v William Avent
- see also STAC Fountain
Fox v Walklyn
- STAC 5/F12/7 - B A Rn - 20 Eliz - Devon - Robert Foxe alias Hulett v Walter Walklyn alias Walkley et al
- Robte Foye alias Hulett of Lymyngton, Somerset, husbandman & Agnes his wife. Breaking, entering & assault at a messuage in Colyton, Devon.(dk)
- STAC 5/F6/8 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - Robert Foye alias Hulet et uxor v Walter Walklye, John Whyker et al
- see also STAC Fox
Frye v Bonville
- STAC 5/F11/22 - B A - 19 Eliz - Devon - John Frye, Thomas Bonvill v Bryant Travers, Edward Senthall et al
- John Frye in the co of Devon. Thomas Bonvyll of Corfcastell in co Devon yeoman.
- STAC 5/F5/6 - I D - 19 Eliz - Devon - John Fry, Thomas Bonvyll v James Style, Henry Andrew, John Webbe
- STAC 5/F23/26 - B - - Devon - John Fry, Thomas Benoyll v Bryan Travers, Charles Baron, Christopher Baron
- STAC 5/F1/21 - Rn - 19 Eliz - Devon - John Fry v Thomas Style, Robert Style, Henry Andros, Gyles Glanfeild
- see also STAC Fry
Full v Edwards
- STAC 5/F11/9 - B A - 37 Eliz - Devon - John Full v Hugh Edwards, Alexander Barter et al
- John Full of Stoke Gabrell in co Devon. Land in the Manor of Paynton.
- see also STAC Full
Fursedon v Richards
- STAC 5/F29/29 - B - - Devon - John Fursedon v John Richards
- STAC 5/F24/3 - C I D - 14 Eliz - Devon - John Fursdon v John Richards
- STAC 7/12/11 - - - Devon - John Fursdon v John Richerdes
- TNA Note: Silverton etc: Farm called Hayes.
- see also STAC Fursedon
Gilbert v Skyrdon
- STAC 5/G20/12 - B A C - 20 Eliz - Devon - Sir John Gilbert, Allen Savery v Richard Skyrdon, John Harris et al
- Riot, destruction of enclosures. The defendants, with arms and weapons, destroyed the plaintiffs' fences and gates after the plaintiffs made an agreement to partition the land. (mg)
- see also STAC Gilbert
Giles v Pomeroy
- STAC 5/G9/11 - B A Rn - 1 Eliz - Devon - John Giles v Richard Pomeroy, William Bastock et al
- Tenement in Exmyster, Devon. Refs suits at both Exchequer & Chancery.(dk)
- STAC 5/G21/19 - I D - 3 Eliz - Devon - John Giles v Richard Pomeroy
- see also STAC Giles
Hackwell v Adams
- STAC 5/H79/36 - B - - Devon - William Hackwell v Nicholas Adams, Richard Wakeham et al
- John Hackwell son of William Hackwell of Totnes decd. Lease of estate in Norton Dawny, parish of Townstall, Devon.(dk)
- see also STAC Hackwell
Hedden v Judd
- STAC 5/H6/12 - B A - Hil 29 Eliz - Devon - John Hedden v John Jadd Sr, John Bourdfield
- John Hodden the younger. Lease of messuage etc in Pancrasweke, Devon.
- STAC 5/H68/35 - I D - 29 Eliz - Devon - John Heddon v John Judd
- see also STAC Headon
Hexte v Sharpham
- STAC 5/H6/11 - B A - 38 Eliz - Devon - Mary Hexte v John Sharpham, Laurence Windeate, Thomas Bird, John Bird, John Cole et al
- Marie Hexte of Cobhanger, Devon, widow. A barton or messuage in the parish of Corneworthie, Devon.(dk)
- STAC 5/H2/20 - Rn - 38 Eliz - Devon - Mary Hexte v John Sharpham et al
- STAC 5/H54/39 - I D - 38 Eliz - Devon - Mary Hext v John Sharpham
- STAC 5/H72/10 - C I D - 39 Eliz - Devon - Mary Hext v John Sharpham
- see also STAC Hexte
Huddey v Barnes or Barrons
- STAC 7/3/16 - - - Somerset, Devon - Christopher Hoddey v William Barons et Anne uxor, William Hannan, William Buckeforde et Joan uxor, Humphrey Rideatt et Joan uxor
- TNA Notes: Forcible entry and seizure of goods in Stowell Vexatious suits, etc, as to a messuage in Brixham.
- STAC 5/H71/9 - B A C I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Hoddye v William Barrons, William Hammond et al
- STAC 5/H51/18 - Rr - 42 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Huddyer v William Barnes
- STAC 5/H17/40 - I D - 42 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Huddye v William Barnes
- STAC 5/H72/2 - A C - 41 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Hodie v Joane Buckforde, Christopher Hannam
- see also STAC Hoddey
Kellond v Wicks
- STAC 5/K1/12 - B - 21 Eliz - Devon - John Kellond v John Wycks, Roger Wycks
- Land in Southtawton [South Tawton], Devon.
- see also STAC Kellond
Knapman v Casslegh
- STAC 7/3/26 - - - Devon - Alexander Knapman v William Caselegh, Henry Shock et al
- TNA Notes: South Tawton: Forcible entry into a house and assault.
- see also STAC Knapman
Mallett v Weekes
- STAC 5/M1/33 - B A Rn - 14 Eliz - Devon - William Mallet v Edmund Weekes, Christopher Vivyn, Gilbert Weekes
- STAC 5/M48/20 - I D - 14 Eliz - Devon - William Mallet v Antony Mallet
- STAC 5/M42/26 - I D - 14 Eliz - Devon - William Mallett v Christopher Vyvyn, Gilbert Weks
- see also STAC Mallett
Melkins v Buder
- STAC 5/M1/18 - B - Hil 9 Eliz - Devon - John Melkins v Roger Buder, Robert Pesis, Walter Penny, Roger Honiston, William Still, William Haroued
- South Hewis co Devon
- see also STAC Melkins
Miller v Miller
- STAC 5/M1/27 - B - Hil 14 Eliz - Devon - John Miller v Leonard Miller, Augustine Tyler, William Merick, John Shapter, John Ferris, John Dygan, James Prowse
- Bill of John Myller son of John Myller late of Ilsyington (Ilsington) co Devon, husbandman deceased.
- STAC 5/M6/37 - I D - 15 Eliz - Devon - John Myller, Henry Reve et uxor v Leonard Myller
- STAC 7/14/3 - - - Devon - John Myller, Henry Reve et Elizabeth uxor v Leonard Myller, Austin Tayler
- TNA Note: Goods and documents belonging to John Myller, deceased.
- STAC 5/M34/23 - C I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - John Miller et al v Leonard Miller et al
- see also STAC Miller
Mitchell v Baron and Lee
- STAC 5/M1/11 - B A I D - Easter 33 Eliz - Devon - Marie Mitchell v Richard Baron al
- Interrogatories to be ministered to Richard Baron one of the Defts at the suit of Marie Mitchell Complt. Were you sworn before the LCJ of Common Pleas at the assizes at Barnstaple to give evidence in Marie Mitchell widow v William Lee. Deposition: Richard Baron of Bigbury co Devon. Answer of Richard Barons. Answer of William Lee. Bill: property in Aveton Gifford co Devon.
- STAC 5/M32/13 - I D - 33 Eliz - Devon - Marie Mitchell v William Lee
- see also STAC Michell
Moore v Evelegh
- STAC 5/M39/18 - B A Rn C I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Richard More v John Eveleigh, Richard Calmady
- STAC 5/M33/1 - I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Roger More v Christopher Marten, John Evelegh
- STAC 5/M15/13 - I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Roger More v John Evelinge, Richard Calmady
- Interrs refer to manor of Holcombe & Hugh More late of Ottery St Mary (no county, but is Devon).(dk)
- STAC 5/M46/1 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Roger More v John Evelegh, Richard Calmady
- STAC 5/M1/32 - I - - Devon - Roger More v John Evelegh
- Interrogatories to be ministered to John Marler on the part and behalf of John Evelegh esq deft against Roger More complt. Imprimis whether do you know the said John Evelegh on of the Justices of the Peace for the County of Devon and the said Roger More of London capper.
- see also STAC Moore
Newbury v Newbury
- STAC 5/N1/35 - B Dr - 31 Eliz - Devon - John Newburye v William Newburye, Margaret Foxe
- STAC 5/N1/35 - John Newburye of Memberye [Membury] co Devon husbandman. That whereas on William Newbury thelder of Stockland co Dorset bocher, brought a bill in Chancery against the complainant. Property in Membury belonging to the Dean and cannons of St George Windsor.
- see also STAC Newbury
Newcourte v Sandford
- STAC 5/N1/31 - B - 30 Eliz - Devon - John Newcourte v Hugh Sandeforde, Richard Parnecotte et Johane uxor
- John Newcourte of Pyckewell co Devon Esq., land in Tiverton Devon - STAC 5/N1/31
- see also STAC Newcourt
Newcourt v Donnacombe
- STAC 5/N12/11 - B A Rn - 31 Eliz - Devon - William Newcourt v John Donnacombe, John Yolton
- STAC 5/N4/39 - I D - 31 Eliz - Devon - William Newcourte v John Donacombe
- Interrs refer to a tenement called Bromehill in Pancrasweeke (no county stated but is Devon). Deponent from Cornwall.(dk)
- see also STAC Newcourt
Newman v Smith
- STAC 5/N3/2 - I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Newman, Richard Hacknell v Robert Smith, Richard Drewe
- Deponents: Robert Smith and Richard Dawe both of Dartmouth co Devon
- see also STAC Newman
Nightgale v May
- STAC 5/N1/30 - B A - Hil 20 Eliz - Devon - William Nightgale v Richard Maye, William Furlonge, Richard Whealon, Henry Clark et al
- see also STAC Nightgale
Oland v Broughton
- STAC 5/O6/35 - B A - 34 Eliz - Devon - John Oland et uxor v Hugh Broughton, John Leighe.
- STAC 5/O8/45 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Robert Olande v Henry Broughton.
- Roberte Oland & Johane his wife, widow & executor of Willm Escott decd. Title to lands in Winckley & Brodwood Kelley, Devon. Refs Chancery cause Hughe Brighton v. William Escott & also of John Leighe als Rudge (son of John Leigh als Rudge the elder) v. Roberte Oland & Johane his wife. (dk) - STAC 5/O8/45
- STAC 5/O3/10 - Rn - 34 Eliz - Devon - Robert Oland et al v Hugh Broughton, John Rudge alias Leigh
- Replication - of Robert Oland & Johane his wife to the answers of Hughe Broughton & John Rudge als Leigh the elder. Wood & pasture of William Escott decd, location not stated. (dk) - STAC 5/O3/10
- see also STAC Oland
Olde v Towille
- STAC 5/O1/30 - B A C - 9 Eliz - Devon - Edmund Olde v John Towille et Margery Towille his wife, John Pydlesley, Edmund Ashley, John Brownescombe et al
- Bill: That whereas the Dean and Chapter of the cathederal church of St Peters in Exceter. . . Mansion house and pasture, manor of Norton, Devonshire. Disputed ownership of copyhold. Riotous attack on hayloft, oxhouse and barn.
- STAC 5/O8/20 - I D - 9 Eliz - Devon - Edmond Oulde v John Towill, Edmund Ashley, Walter Steer
- see also STAC Olde
Oliver v Hamond
- STAC 5/O1/23 - B C I D - 7 Eliz - Devon - Robert Oliver alias Stoners, John Oliver alias Stoners v Simon Slaughter, William Hammond et al.
- STAC 5/O7/19 - I D - 7 Eliz - Devon - Robert Olyver v William Hamond, Simon Slowley et al.
- Interrs refer to the manor house of the complt called Breynysworthe in parish of Fremyngton, Devon and to the breaking & entering and putting forth of the occupants.(dk)
- STAC 5/O9/14 - A Rn - - Devon - Robert Oliver, John Oliver v Symon Slowly, William Hammont et al.
- see also STAC Oliver
Otes v Simon or Singe
- STAC 5/O1/26 - B A Rn Rr C I D - Hil 20 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Oles alias Beworthy v Richard Symon, Philip Dirward, Robert Walter et al
- Bill: Thomas Oles of Pylton in Devon, manor of Brampton Deane in co Devon - STAC 5/O1/26
- STAC 5/O3/8 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Otes alias Beaworthie v Roger Synge
- Interr administered by Thomas Otes als Beaworthie, complt v. Roger Singe. Great Torrington, Devon, mention of complts father Ellis Beaworthie als Otes. (dk)
- see also STAC Otes
Perrott v Newton
- STAC 5/P17/38 - B A - 33 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Perrott v William Newton, Edward Butler et al
- STAC 5/P43/39 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Cristopher Parrott v William Newton
- Interrogatories ex parte Parrott, in re property in Haberton co Devon. Deponent, 12 Feb Anno Eliz 24, William Newton of Harbarton co Devon gent aged 40
- STAC 5/P10/6 - C I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - Christopher Perrott v William Newton
- see also STAC Perrott
Peryam v Pollard
- STAC 7/4/30 - - - Devon - William Peryam v Amy Pollard, John Pollard
- TNA Note: Forgery of lease of the manor of Pancrasweek. William Peryam justice of the Common Pleas.
- see also STAC Peryam
Pill v Hart
- STAC 5/P7/2 - B A Rn C I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - John Pill v Thomas Brewarton, Thomas Martin, Edward Harte, John Sampforde et al
- STAC 7/27/37 - - - Devon - John Pill v Thomas Brewerton et al
- STAC 5/P8/35 - I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - John Pill v Edward Hart
- John Pill a draper of Exeter
- see also STAC Pill other possible references to the same case
Plymouth Corporation v Hele and Crymes
- STAC 5/P30/10 - B A C I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - Mayor and Commonalty of Plymouth v Richard Hele, Edward Hele, John Browne et al
- STAC 5/P47/22 - Rn - 44 Eliz - Devon - Mayor and Commonalty of Plymouth, v William Crimes, Richard Hele et al
- STAC 5/P27/21 - I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - Mayor and Councell of Plymouth v William Crymes et al
- see also STAC Plymouth
Pomerey v Bassett
- STAC 5/P62/20 - B A Rn - 14 Eliz - Devon - Honor Pomerey, Thomas Pomerey v George Bassett, William Nott et al
- STAC 5/P8/19 - I D - 14 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Pomerie et uxor v George Bassett, William Nott, Robert Squier
- Messuage in co Devon but a deponent from Cornwall
- see also STAC Pomerey
Prestwood v Spealt
- STAC 5/P45/35 - B - 41 Eliz - Devon - George Prestwood v William Spealt, Christopher Maddick
- STAC 5/P65/4 - A - 41 Eliz - Devon - Edward Priestwood v William Nicholles
- STAC 5/P50/34 - I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - George Preistwood v James Cowne, William Nicoll et al
- STAC 5/P8/40 - C I D - 42 Eliz - Devon - George Prestwood v William Spealt, William Phillips, James Cowne, William Nicholls et al
- Many, many documents. Deponents are husbandmen of Devon - STAC 5/P8/40
- see also STAC Prestwood
Randall v Cole
- STAC 5/R1/14 - B A Rn Rr - Hil 16 Eliz - Devon - John Randall v Peter Atkins, John Cole Jr, John Cole Youngest, Gregory Daman, Hugh Vyne et al
- Bill of Complaint of John Rendell of Hartlande in co Devon, husbandman. Ekewansworthie in the parish of Hartlande. Riotous attack on a house. 30 Aug 15 Eliz. Answer of John Cole the younger and Peter Atkyn, Answer of John Colle the youngest, Hugh Corneshawe and Gregory Deyman. Replication of John Rendall to the answers of John Coll the youngest, Hughe Corneshawe, and Gregory Deymond. Rejoinder of John Colle and Peter Atkin. Replication of John Rendell to the answers of John Colle and Peter Atkyn.
- STAC 5/R4/28 - I D - 16 Eliz - Devon - John Rendell v John Coll, Peter Atkins
- STAC 5/R21/30 - I D - 16 Eliz - Devon - John Rendell v John Colle Jr, Hugh Corneshawe et al
- STAC 5/R38/10 - C I D - 17 Eliz - Devon - John Randall v Peter Atkins, John Cole Jr
- see also STAC Randall
Randall v Ellett
- STAC 5/R3/21 - B - 30 Eliz - Devon - William Randal v Edward Ellett, Andrew Brokedon
- William Randal of Sherford co Devon gent.
- see also STAC Randall
Rolle v Rolle
- STAC 5/R11/32 - B A - 15 Eliz - Devon - Margaret Roll v Henry Roll, George Roll, Walter Westlake et al
- STAC 5/R1/25 - B A Rn - 31 Eliz - Devon - Margaret Rolle v Henry Rolle, James Lyttil
- Bill of Margaret Rolle widow late wife of John Rolle esq deceased. In re land in Little Torrington Devon. Answer of James Lyttell. Answer of Henry Rolle esq.
- STAC 5/R9/21 - I D - 32 Eliz - Devon - Margaret Rolle v James Lyttil et al
- see also STAC Rolle
Rowe v Gale
- STAC 5/R4/22 - B - 38 Eliz - Devon - William Rowe v George Gale, John Rowe Sr et uxor, John Rowe Jr, John Norcott et al
- STAC 5/R9/19 - C I D - 39 Eliz - Devon - William Rowe v George Gale, John Rowe et al
- STAC 5/R22/31 - I D - - Devon - William Rowe v George Gale, John Rowe Sr et al
- STAC 5/R19/15 - Rr - 39 Eliz - Devon - William Rowe v John Northcote, George Gale et al
- STAC 7/14/36 - - - Devon - William Rowe v John Rowe, George Gale et al
- TNA Note: Chagford.
- STAC 5/R33/23 - Rn - 39 Eliz - Devon - John Rowe v John Rowe, John Gale et al
- see also STAC Rowe
Rowe v Rowe
- STAC 5/R37/2 - B A - 44 Eliz - Devon - William Rowe v James Rowe, Olyver Cliff et al
- STAC 5/R20/29 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - William Rowe v James Rowe
- see also STAC Rowe
Rowse v Thimbleby
- STAC 5/R40/5 - I D - 5 Eliz - Devon - John Rowse v Richard Thymbelly et al
- STAC 5/R10/35 - D - 4 Eliz - Devon - John Rowse v Richard Thymbelby
- STAC 5/R6/39 - I D - 4 Eliz - Devon - John Rowse v Richard Thymblebie
- STAC 5/R6/15 - I D - 4 Eliz - Devon - John Rowse v Richard Thymbleby
- STAC 5/R8/26 - C I D - 4 Eliz - Devon - John Rowse v Richard Thimbleby
- Case Book Report STAC 5/R8/26r
- STAC 7/28/24 - - - Devon - John Rowsse v Thymbilby
- TNA E159/344 Michaelmas Term, 4-5 Elizabeth. Fine paid 30 November 1562. From Richard Thymolbie of Thimbleby, Lincs, armiger: 500 marks. From William Charnocke of the City of Westminster, gent, for his fine: 100 marks. These fines are for certain falsehoods and forgeries by them committed in Rowses matter.
- TNA E159/344 Hilary Term, 5 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 5 February 1562/3. From Richard Thymilbie of Thimbleby, Lincs, armiger, for his fine: £100. From Thomas Parkyns of Plymouth, gent: £20. From George Calton of the City of London, yeoman, for his fine: £5. These fines are assessed upon them for forging and counterfeiting of certain writings and leases touching Rowse, complainant, and the said parties, defendants.
- see also STAC Rowse
Scriche v Giles
- STAC 5/S24/34 - B A I D - 26 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Scriche v John Giles, John Gyste et al
- STAC 5/S51/5 - C I D - 27 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Serich v John Gyles et al
- STAC 5/S70/8 - B A - - Devon - Thomas Scrach v John Gyste, Thomas Frye et al
- STAC 5/S69/20 - I D - 25 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Scrich v Thomas Frye, Richard Hearne
- Forcible entry into house in Stancombe, parish of Harberton, [Devon]. Refs also to Chancery suit.(dk)
- see also STAC Scriche
Seymour v Thomson
- STAC 5/S3/38 - B A - - Devon - Edward Seamoure v Thomas Thomson, Henry Henry Sharlaud, John Binseld, Henry Cockes et al
- STAC 5/S34/35 - I D - 30 Eliz - Devon - Edward Seymour v Hugh Burge, Thomas Thompson et al
- STAC 7/15/9 - - - Devon - Edward Seymoure v Hugh Burye, Thomas Tompson
- TNA Note: Colyton: Attack on plaintiff's house.
- STAC 5/S62/12 - B A - 31 Eliz - Devon - Sir Edward Seymour Knight, Lord Edward Seymour of Berry Pomeroy v John Stephens, John Bickford
- STAC 5/S66/34 - B A Rn C I D - 35 Eliz - Devon - Edward Symour v Humfry Bury alias Mountjoye, Nicholas Bottfeild et al
- STAC 5/S34/1 - I D - 35 Eliz - Devon - Edward Seymour v Humfrey Burge, Nicholas Belfield et al
- see also STAC Seymour
Shere v Shere
- STAC 5/S68/38 - B A Dr Rn - 40 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Sheere v Thomas Sheere, Toby Collins et al
- STAC 5/S58/8 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Shere v Thomas Shere, Toby Collyns
- STAC 5/S1/17 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Shere v Tobye Collins
- Dep: Ex capt 10 July Anno 40 Eliz. Int: Land in Plympton St Mary co Devon.
- STAC 5/S50/25 - Rr - 41 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Sheere v Thomas Shere, Tholet Collins
- see also STAC Shere
Skynner v Harris
- STAC 5/S1/28 - C I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Richard Skynner et uxor, Robert Smith, Johanna Hutchins, Richard Pears et al v Thomas Harris, William Kirfugdes, Elenor Cooke, John Edney, William Richards
- STAC 7/5/21 - - - Devon - Richard Skynner et Friswell uxor, et William filius et al v Eleanor Cooke, Thomas Harrys, William Kyrforde, John Edney, William Richards
- TNA Note: Corruption of a jury and perjury in a suit for lands, etc, in Up-Ottery and Church Stanton.
- STAC 5/S79/8 - I D - 22 Eliz - Devon - Friswell Skynner, Richard Skynner, Robert Smyth v Thomas Harris, William Kyrford, Elenor Cooke et al
- STAC 5/S30/27 - I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Richard Skinner Robert Smith et al v Thomas Harris, Eleanor Cooke et al
- STAC 5/S66/9 - I D - 24 Eliz - Devon - Richard Skinner v William Kirsford et al
- STAC 5/S74/7 - I D - 23 Eliz - Devon - Richard Smyth, Richard Skynner et al v William Karford et al
- BL Harley 2143 f.9 - Harrys a deft at the suite of Skinner plt for incerting Matter of Defamacion & slaunder into his answer against Neale a Counsellor at Lawe noe partie to that suite Compleyned of Harrys att the heareing of the Cause desired further day and assented not to take any advantage of the pardon ensewing att the heareing thereof which Cause afterwards Comeing to a heareing the Court would not sentence his offence for that the pardon had discharged the same notwithstanding Harris Consent to the Contrarie which otherwise they would have donne.
- see also STAC Skinner
Slowman v Blewett
- STAC 5/S29/10 - B A Rn - - Devon - Margaret Slowman, Thomas Slowman v John Blewett
- Thomas Slowman & Margaret his wife, late wife of Xpofer Shore decd. Theft & destruction of deeds to a tenement called Herfford in Sampford Courtney, Devon & subsequent action of trespass.(dk)
- STAC 5/S37/12 - C I D - 3 Eliz - Devon - Margaret Slowman, Thomas Slowman v John Blewit
- STAC 5/S2/27 - B A Rn - - Devon - Thomas Sloman v John Bluyett, Saunder alias Alexander Jones, Robert Herneman, Gregory Bench
- STAC 5/S58/37 - I D - 3 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Slowman v John Blewet
- STAC 5/S15/9 - I D - 4 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Sloman v John Bluytt, Robert Herneman et al
- see also STAC Slowman
Smith v Savery
- STAC 5/S34/8 - B A Rn I D - 1 Eliz - Devon - Bernard Smith v William Savery, John Williams alias Cholwell et al
- Fines paid 17 May 1560 From Extracts in E159/341 Easter Term, 2 Elizabeth. From Katherine Saverie widow of Totnes, Devon, for her fine for riot: £13 6s 8d.. From Gabriel Luscombe servant of said Katherine for his fine for riot: £5. From Nicholas Langemede servant of said Katherine for his fine for riot: £5. From John Delve servant of said Katherine for his fine for riot: £5. From William Williams alias Cholwell de Harterton, Devon, yeoman, for his fine for riot: £10. From Leonard Rombelowe of Totnes, Devon, for his fine for riot: £6 13s 4d. These fines are for the riot in the matter between Barnard Smyth plaintiff and the said parties defendants.
- see also STAC Smith, A-E
Southcott v Hamlyn
- STAC 5/S20/34 - B A - 18 Eliz - Devon - William Soutchcott v Robert Hamlyne
- STAC 5/S64/2 - I D - 18 Eliz - Devon - William Southcot v Robert Hamlyn
- Claim to Spitchweek Park, Devon. Perjury at Exeter assizes.(dk)
- see also STAC Southcot
Southcote v Skyrdon
- STAC 5/S15/15 - B A C I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Southcote v John Skyrdon, John Beard et al
- To be sure, some common people were apparently happy to testify (and modify their stories accordingly) in exchange for payment. William Shepard, a miller in late sixteenth-century Devon, would depose for the highest bidder. He admitted to bragging that he ‘had 4s. a weeke of [a gentleman] for his wages [and that] if he had not good maintenance . . . he wold tell another tale’ in court, one that would ‘do [the parish] twenty poundes worth of good’ in a dispute about grain-grinding tolls. - Hillary Taylor, The price of the poor’s words: social relations and the economics of deposing for one’s ‘betters’ in early modern England., Economic History Review (2018) https://doi.org/10.1111/ehr.12773 - STAC 5/S15/15, William Shepard (deposition); Henry Jewell (deposition).
- STAC 5/S10/31 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Southcot v John Beard, John Will
- STAC 5/S82/23 - I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - Thomas Southcote v John Wyll, John Byrd
- see also STAC Southcot
Spicer, v Webber
- STAC 5/S4/19 - B A - Easter 33 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Spicer v Charles Webber
- Bill: In most humble wise complaining showeth unto your most excellent Majesty your true and faithful subject Nicholas Spicer of your highness City of Exeter marchant. That where about a year past there was delivered to William Crewe esq then your majesty’s High Shyreve of your highness County of Devon and Roberts Arrundell gentlemen his undershyreve of the said County a certain process out of your majesty’s Court of Exchequer directed to the said . . .
- STAC 5/S85/8 - Rn - 35 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Spicer v Charles Webber
- STAC 5/S25/19 - I D - 33 Eliz - Devon - Nicholas Spycer v Charles Webber
- see also STAC Spicer
Sprint v Sheppard
- STAC 5/S12/35 - B A C I D - 18 Eliz - Devon - Gregory Sprynte et uxor, Arthur Shepard v Thomas Whitborne
- Bill damaged. ?Bishopric of Exeter? Tithe corn, manors of Bishop Teyngton als Teyngton & Radwaye ....., Devon.(dk) - STAC 5/S12/35
- STAC 5/S72/18 - B - 18 Eliz - Devon - Gregory Sprent, Arthur Shepard v Thomas Whitborne
- see also STAC Sprint
Starre v Banks
- STAC 7/5/10 - - - Devon - William Starre v John Banckes, John Whytmoore, Katherine Tyrle, William Luckies et al
- TNA Note: Musbury: Rescue of first defendant from arrest.
- see also STAC Starr
Stephens v Gay
- STAC 5/S17/24 - B A R C I D - 35 Eliz - Devon - Robert Stevens v Nicholas Gaye, Nicholas Williams et al
- Robert Stephens of Barnestaple, Devon. Land in Barnstaple. Refs to Exeter Assizes & case in Common Pleas.(dk)
- STAC 5/S8/21 - C I D - 37 Eliz - Devon - Robert Stephens v William Salisbury, Robert Salisbury, Nicholas Gay, Nicholas Williams
- see also STAC Stephens
Sture v Lions
- STAC 7/5/31 - - - Devon - Philip Sture, Henry Lascombe v John Lions, Thomas Clemente, Bartholomew Toupe, William Willmede et al
- TNA Note: Staverton: False presentment as to vacation of a tenancy on the manor.
- see also STAC Sture
Sweet v Yeo
- STAC 5/S4/7 - B A - 34 Eliz - Devon - John Sweet, William Bues v Humphrey Yeo, George Frost
- John Sweett of Beaford co Devon husbandman and William Bues of Beaford co Devon. Humefry Yeo of Beaford exhibited a bill in Star Chamber.
- STAC 5/S31/22 - I D - 34 Eliz - Devon - John Sweet, William Bues v Humfrey Yeo, George Froste et al
- Case Book BL Harley MS 2143 fo. 53r. An information ordered by the court to be exhibited against the plaintiff. Yeo, plaintiff; Buse et al: the court ordered that this cause which was compounded should be prosecuted notwithstanding the same was ended and that the defendant may exhibit an information against the plaintiff for his contempt for compounding the same without special licence of the court to the defrauding of Her Majesty of such fine as the offence shall have deserved. Hillary 34 Elizabeth (kk) See also STAC Yeo
- see also STAC Sweete
Tabb v Lapthorne
- STAC 5/T3/20 - B - 26 Eliz - Devon - Philip Tabb v Robert Lapthorne
- Aveton Gifford co Devon
- see also STAC Tabb
Torker v Watts
- STAC 5/T9/32 - B Dr - 26 Eliz - Devon - John Torker v Thomas Watts alias Gadge, Ralph Harvey et al
- John Tooker of Yealmtton, Devon. Case of debt against this complt in Borough Court of Plympton. Perjury.(dk)
- see also STAC Torker
Welsh v Sparrow
- STAC 5/W35/3 - B A Rn - 18 Eliz - Devon - John Welsh v James Sparrow, Peter Punchard
- STAC 5/W31/11 - C I D - 20 Eliz - Devon - John Welsh v James Sparrow, Peter Punchard
- STAC 7/16/20 - - - Devon - John Welshe v James Sparrow, Peter Puncherd.
- TNA Note: Barnstaple: Perjury as to land called Slade Park (in Martinhoe?), Prickworthy Park (in Marwood?), etc, held on lease of William lord Howard, and Margaret his wife - STAC 7/16/20
- see also STAC Welsh
Almoner v Glandfield
- STAC 5/A38/37 - B A - 36 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v William Glandfirld, Gregory Sprynt, Robert Wescott et al
- In Budley Devon
- see also STAC Glanfield
Almoner v Knight
- STAC 5/A35/22 - B - - Devon - Almoner v Richard Knyght
- STAC 5/A38/20 - B A - - Devon - Almoner v Simon Knight, Richard Wannell, John Hamlyn
- In re the late William Meare of Monston Lampstede in co Devon.
- see also STAC Knight
Almoner v Letheren
- STAC 5/A16/12 - B A Rn Rr - 31 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Jaquett Letheren, John Bishop
- Bill: Humfrey Letheren late of Winckley [Winkleigh] co Devon drowned himself felo de se. Jackett Letheren was widow of Humfrey Letheren’s son Peter. Bill dated verso 1 Feb Anno 31 Eliz
- Rn Rr: Jaquett/Jacote now the wife of Nicholas Shaxton.
- Facts of the drowning disputed. A 14 year old boy gave evidence.
- STAC 5/A44/11 - I D - 32 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Jacquet Shuxton, John Bishopp
- see also STAC Letheren
Almoner v Pollard
- STAC 5/A41/7 - B A C I D - 45 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Lewis Pollerd, Richard Trout alias Smalden
- George Hawkins late of South Molton co Devon husbandman, felo de se
- STAC 5/A59/31 - B - 45 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Lewis Pollard et al, William Rychards et al, Symond Coddrington et al
- see also STAC Pollard
Almoner v Rawling
- STAC 5/A17/29 - B A C I D - 43 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v John Rawlinge alias Bennet, Alice Courtney et al
- Bill dated anno 43 Eliz (detatched). Launcelot Farringdon of Farringdon co Devon esqire. felo de se.
- see also STAC Rawling
Almoner v Wannell
- STAC 5/A41/28 - B A - 13 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Richard Wannell
- Bill in poor condition - Answer: Land in Murton Hampstede [Moretonhampstead] in the co of Devon
- STAC 5/A16/16 - I D - 14 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Richard Wannell
- Deposition 11 Feb Anno 14 Eliz Richard Wannell gent of Morton Hamstede co Devon. First interrogatory: William Meare late felon de se. Entry into meadows and parcels of land on Mourton Hampstede co Devon
- see also STAC Wannell
Almoner v Vanter
- STAC 5/A17/23 - B - 18 Eliz - Devon - Almoner v Edward Vanter
- And whereas Richard Tilston late of Honington [Honiton] co Devon felo de se in Honiton.
- see also STAC Vanter
AG v Culliford
- STAC 5/A56/4 - B A - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v William Culliford et al
- STAC 5/A35/34 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v William Cullyford
- see also STAC Cullyford
AG v Pitford
- STAC 5/A37/29 - B A C I D - 25 Eliz - Devon - AG v Edward Pitford, Peter Pitford, William Blackealler
- Bill: Whereas Edward Pitford of Totnys co Devon brought an action in kings Bench against Luke Serret of Totnys merchant - STAC 5/A37/29
- STAC 5/A18/33 - B - 24 Eliz - AG v Devon - Peter Pytford et al
- see also STAC Pitford
AG v Soame
- STAC 5/A3/40 - B A Dr - 43 Eliz - Devon - AG v Sir Stephen Soame, John Lynn, William Grout, William Rumney et al
- The poor tynners of Devon artfully practiced upon by some merchants.
- STAC 5/A21/25 - C I D - 44 Eliz - Devon - AG v Sir Stephen Soame et al
- STAC 5/A13/23 - I - 44 Eliz - Devon - AG v Sir Stephen Soame et al
- STAC 5/A18/30 - D - 44 Eliz - Devon - AG v Stephen Soame
- STAC 5/A55/15 - I D - 45 Eliz - Devon - AG v Sir Stephen Soame et al
- STAC 5/A31/2 - I D - 45 Eliz - Devon - AG v Sir Stephen Soames et al
- see also STAC Soame
AG v Turner
- STAC 5/A59/23 - B - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v Anthony Turner, Robert Odham et al
- STAC 5/A12/3 - A - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v Antony Turner et al
- STAC 5/A4/35 - C I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - AG v Anthony Turner.
- Transcribed STAC 5/A4/35
- STAC 5/A14/21 - I D - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v Antony Turner, Robert Odesham et al
- STAC 5/A12/4 - A - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v Thomas Turner et al
- see also STAC Turner
AG v Westcott
- STAC 5/A6/1 - B - 40 Eliz - Devon - AG v Philip Westcott
- STAC 5/A41/29 - B A C I D - 41 Eliz - Devon - AG v Philip Westcott
- see also STAC Westcott
Palmer's cumulative totals of Star Chamber fines preserved in the E159s (rp)
- TNA E159/379 Easter Term, 22 Elizabeth. Fine Paid. 1582
- From John Ludgate de Tavistock, Devon: £20.
- TNA E159/344 5 February Hilary Term, 5 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1583
- From Richard Thymilbie of Thimbleby, Lincs, armiger, for his fine: £100.
- From Thomas Parkyns of Plymouth, gent: £20.
- From George Calton of the City of London, yeoman, for his fine: £5.
- These fines are assessed upon them for forging and counterfeiting of certain writings and leases touching Rowse, complainant, and the said parties, defendants.
- TNA E159/379 Easter Term, 22 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1584
- From George Streete de Exmyster, Devon: £3 6s 8d.
- TNA E159/391 Trinity Term, 28 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1586
- From William Tytche de St Mary Awtry, Devon, gent: £20.
- From Christofer Walker de Bodmin, Corn, gent: £20.
- From Richard Cundye de Bodmin, Corn, gent: £15.
- From John Tubbe de Bodmin, Corn: £15.
- TNA E159/409 Easter Term, 37 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1595
- From Humfrey Yeo de Buckland Filley, Devon: £20.
- From the same Humfrey Yeo: £6 13s 4d.
- TNA E159/412 Michaelmas Terms, 38-39 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1596
- From Edward Seymour, arminger, sheriff of Devon: £3 6s 8d.
- TNA E159/415 Easter Term, 40 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From Eustace Callard de Borrington, Devon: £40.
- From Sidwell Calbard his wife: £20.
- From John Paddon of the parish of St Thomas, Devon: £20.
- From John Cornishe de Aishregney, Devon: £20.
- From said Eustace Callard de Borrington, Devon: £10.
- From Richard Corye de Whalborowe, Corn, gent: £10.
- From John callard de Borrington, Devon, gent: £10.
- From Edmund Budd de Borrington, Devon: £10.
- From Emott Budd, wife of said Edmund Budd: £10.
- From Joan Langbridge de Borrington, spinster: £10.
- TNA E159/416 Michaelmas Term, 40-41 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From Thomas Pearne de Barnstable, Devon: £10.
- From John Morgan Wolfe and Susanna his wife: £10.
- From Milo Midleton de Whitlande, Pembs: £5.
- From Henry Warde de Bodmin, Devon (sic): £5.
- TNA E159/416 Michaelmas Term, 40-41 Elizabeth. Fine Paid 1598
- From Andrew Pollaxfen de Calsington, Devon: £10.
- TNA E159/418 Michaelmas Term, 41-42 Michaelmas. Fine Paid 1599
- From George Randall de Stockingham, Devon: £40.
- From Peter Marlborough de Stockingham, Devon: £20.
- From Richard Burgyn de Stockingham, Devon: £20.
- From Thomas Cutland de Stockingham, Devon: £20.
- TNA E159/421 Trinity Term, 43 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1601
- From John Ford de Ugborowe, Devon: £20.
- From Richard Lawrye de Ugborrowe, Devon: £10.
- TNA E159/421 Michaelmas Term, 43-44 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1601
- From William Carew de Haccombe, Devon, armiger: £50.
- From John Carew de Haccombe, Devon, gent: £30.
- From John Chaffe de Totnes, Devon, gent: £10.
- TNA E159/423 Easter Term, 44 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1602
- From William Spealt de Ugborowe, Devon, gent: £10.
- From William Phillipps, jr, de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From James ____ de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From William ___ de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From Richard B_____ de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From Christofer Maddick de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From Philipp Bamlet de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From William Beare de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From Thomas Hatche de Ugborowe, Devon, yeoman: 40s.
- From Mary Drake de Ugborowe, Devon, spinster: 10s.
- TNA E159/423 Trinity Term, 44 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1602
- From Grace Spark de Moreton Hampsted, Devon, widow: £20.
- TNA E159/424 Trinity Term, 44 Elizabeth. Fines Paid 1602
- From George Prestwood de Ugborough, Devon, armiger: £20.
- From John Norracote de Ugborough, Devon: £3 6s 8d.
- From John Michell alias Basse de Ugborough, Devon: £3 6s 8d.
- From Richard Garrett de Ugborough, Devon: £3 6s 8d.
- From John Chilston de Ugborough, Devon: £3 6s 8d.