Court of Requests: Book of ORDERS, FINAL ORDERS, DECREES, MEMORANDA (39/40 Eliz I Mich-41 Eliz I Trin)
Contributed by Dave King
This volume contains details of orders, decrees and memoranda of the Court of Requests, covering Michaelmas Term 39/40 Eliz I to Trinity Term 41 Eliz I(ie Oct 1597 - June 1599). For further information see The National Archives Catalogue and The National Archives Research Guide
Important Note: It should be noted that there is a gap between the end of volume 18 in this series (March 1596) and the start of this volume (October 1597). The numbering of the volumes has been added in pencil, probably in the 19th century when the books arrived at the Public Record Office, and it is therefore most likely that the gap is due to the loss of a volume prior to that. Some of this gap is being filled from the Draft Books, REQ 1/47 & REQ 1/48.
It is important to recognise that this is NOT a transcript, but rather a list to assist in identifying appropriate entries.
The formatting and spelling of surnames follow the original, but first names have been modernised.
The modern form of dates is given. It should be noted that entries in the original are not always individually dated, however the sequential nature of the entries allows confidence in applying dates to individual rows in the table.
These have been added wherever it is felt that further information is available which would assist in identifying suits. These notes summarise, rather than transcribe. Most additional personal and place names encountered have been added to this column, except those of counsel, which are omitted. It should be noted that repetitive wording such as in the case of orders for dismissal 'unless complt (or deft) show good reason to the contrary' & similar, have been truncated to 'unless complt/deft show...'.
Guidance on locating images
Links have been added to allow direct reference to the original entries. Please note that odd and even numbered pages are held in different sequences, thus where a case runs across more than one page, links are provided in the table to all the pages in the correct order. Always use the links provided in the table, please DO NOT use the forward or backward arrows on the images themselves as they will take you to the next/previous image in the odd/even sequence
Listings of the cases covered by this volume are available as follows:
- Michaelmas Term 39/40 Eliz I, which are the first 170 pages of the volume, covering the dates 10 October to 18 December 1597. There are two consecutive chronological sequences, each covering the whole period of the Michaelmas Term. Pages 1 - 86 are generally short entries, comprising orders and memoranda, and appear to be recording straightforward court business, with little if any detail of the cause or the persons involved. Pages 87 - 170 start again at 11 October, and generally comprise more substantial entries of orders and decrees, often providing additional details of the cause and the persons involved.
- REQ 1/19. List, Michaelmas Term 39/40 Eliz I (1597) - Part1, covering pages 1-86
- REQ 1/19. List, Michaelmas Term 39/40 Eliz I (1597) - Part2, covering pages 87 - 170
- Hillary Term 40 Eliz I, which are pages 171 - 268 of the volume, covering the dates 23 January 1597/8 to 14 April 1598. There are two consecutive chronological sequences, each covering the whole period of the Hilary Term. Pages 171 - 220 are generally short entries, comprising orders and memoranda, and appear to be recording straightforward court business, with little if any detail of the cause or the persons involved. Pages 221 - 268 start again at 24 January, and generally comprise more substantial entries of orders and decrees, often providing additional details of the cause and the persons involved.
- REQ 1/19. List, Hillary Term 40 Eliz I (1597) - Part1, covering pages 171 - 221
- REQ 1/19. List, Hillary Term 40 Eliz I (1597) - Part2, covering pages 222 - 268
- Easter Term 40 Eliz I, covering pages 277 - 416
- Trinity Term 40 Eliz I, covering pages 417 - 546
- Michaelmas Term 40/41 Eliz I, covering pages 547 - 674
- Hillary Term 41 Eliz I, covering pages 675 - 740
- Easter Term 41 Eliz I, covering pages 741 - 836
- Trinity Term 41 Eliz I, covering pages 837 - 916,